02-16-2020, 05:30 PM
User Info
Hello folks, I need a little help here.
I’m want to give a shot @ synthetic brushes.
I previously owned two chubby2 synthetic and I didn’t like them they were too floppy and with minimum backbone, after one use I got rid of them.
Time went by and now is like a little rock in the shoes since more and more people is changing from animal to synthetic yet I can’t see the appealing other than the animal cruelty etc etc.. (not even want to start with that topic).
I currently used badger and boar, all my brushes comes with good density and backbone for me is a big deal.
I really want to like the synthetic ones but here’s where I need little guidance
Please shoot me some advise and options about synthetic brushes you familiar with
High end/ Mid end...as long is good quality brush with backbone and density.
thanks in advance.

Aroon R.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9 332
 02-16-2020, 05:36 PM
  • chazt
  • Queens, NY
User Info
This is the first time I’ve heard the Chubby 2 synth described as not dense enough and/or floppy.

Good luck with your search Smile

19 4,559
 02-16-2020, 05:39 PM
User Info
(02-16-2020, 05:36 PM)chazt Wrote: This is the first time I’ve heard the Chubby 2 synth described as not dense enough and/or floppy.

Good luck with your search Smile

It is if you compare it with a chubby 2 Manchurian in my opinion.
Not saying I want the same sort of backbone but something similar yes.
Even tho I’m willing to give them a shot again if I don’t find something more dense.

9 332
 02-16-2020, 06:08 PM
User Info
I greatly prefer synthetic knots, and I own more than a few high end badger knots. I'll still occasionally use them, but find myself reaching for the synthetic over the badger brushes. I only own one boar brush and I never reach for it. I think synthetic knots are softer, lather better, and are just easier to maintain than those other types of brushes. That's just my preference. Maybe you just don't like synthetic brushes?

This article seems helpful:

https://sharpologist.com/days-badger-hai...-numbered/

I don't own any Simpson synthetic brushes so I can't really comment on how they compare to other synthetics. Personally I love my Razorock 400. It isn't the most firm brush I own, that honor goes to a white synthetic knot I purchased from Turn and Shave. But, that knot isn't as soft as many of my other synthetic knots.

I haven't picked one up yet, but Alpha shave brushes are supposed to be amazing as far as the backbone and softness goes. I plan on getting one in the near future and will let you know what I think.

Sent from my 2PZC5 using Tapatalk

0 14
 02-16-2020, 06:37 PM
User Info
My favorite synthetic brush is the Stirling Kong.  I used to have the Chubby 2 synthetic and I've used the Razorock 22mm synth that is modeled on the Muhle knot.  Even the other stirling brush that uses the plisson knot doesn't work as well for me.
Any soap or cream, I get enough lather for 4 passes if I need it.  On the Martin de Candre soap I need to swirl the Kong for less than 10 seconds.

1 644
 02-16-2020, 07:10 PM
User Info
(02-16-2020, 06:08 PM)txiab Wrote: I greatly prefer synthetic knots, and I own more than a few high end badger knots. I'll still occasionally use them, but find myself reaching for the synthetic over the badger brushes. I only own one boar brush and I never reach for it. I think synthetic knots are softer, lather better, and are just easier to maintain than those other types of brushes. That's just my preference. Maybe you just don't like synthetic brushes?

This article seems helpful:

https://sharpologist.com/days-badger-hai...-numbered/

I don't own any Simpson synthetic brushes so I can't really comment on how they compare to other synthetics. Personally I love my Razorock 400. It isn't the most firm brush I own, that honor goes to a white synthetic knot I purchased from Turn and Shave. But, that knot isn't as soft as many of my other synthetic knots.

I haven't picked one up yet, but Alpha shave brushes are supposed to be amazing as far as the backbone and softness goes. I plan on getting one in the near future and will let you know what I think.

Thanks for the advise and hint on the razorock 400 looks lovely

9 332
 02-16-2020, 07:24 PM
User Info
I haven’t had interest in a synthetic in a few years, probably since I purchased my Chubby 2 Synthetic Badger, but I don’t use that as a regular brush either.

From what you describe, you want even more dense than the Chubby 2. Now, this one is going to be hard to find, but if you can, look for what was known as the ‘group buy synth knot’ on Reddit. It was just as it sounds, a group buy some of the reddit guys made back then. The knot is a somewhat short lofted 28mm synth, bulb shape, and VERY dense. It was possibly the first generic ‘Plisson style’ synth knot after the Plisson became available. Ron at Chiseled Face had some available for sale, too I believe. They were if I remember correctly sold as ‘Fauxmere’ synthetic knots. This was about 5 years ago now, so you have your work cut out for you, but I believe it’s the densest synthetic knot I’ve ever used, and highly doubt any have been as dense since.

Good luck!

14 660
 02-16-2020, 07:33 PM
User Info
Moderator Note:  Link to website not affiliated with TSN removed.

Is this the brush?

0 14
 02-16-2020, 07:40 PM
User Info
Checked !!!
Awesome thanks

9 332
 02-16-2020, 07:41 PM
User Info
Is this the brush?

By looking at that picture, it is NOT, not dense enough at all, but you would have to ask him if it is. Those were available in a limited quantity 5 years ago, so I wouldn’t guess they’re the same. He may or may not have one sitting around from that batch, but once again you’d have to ask him.

14 660
 02-16-2020, 07:45 PM
User Info
Yeah didn't look that thick. But, it is described as fauxmere. Wasn't sure. Wonder how it compares to the Razorock Big Bruce. That thing is crazy as far as lather is concerned. Another great synthetic.

0 14
 02-16-2020, 07:47 PM
User Info
(02-16-2020, 07:45 PM)txiab Wrote: Yeah didn't look that thick. But, it is described as fauxmere. Wasn't sure. Wonder how it compares to the Razorock Big Bruce. That thing is crazy as far as lather is concerned. Another great synthetic.

Just ask Ron if it’s the same batch as the ‘group buy’, he’ll know the one.

I tried the RazoRock too, it’s still different. Not as dense and has more of that ‘pokey’ feeling some synths have.

14 660
 02-16-2020, 07:53 PM
User Info
If I wanted a brush as dense as a Chubby 2 Manchurian, I’d just stay with that choice. Trying to find those characteristics in a synthetic seems like chasing dragons to me. Spoken from someone who has a C2M and a C2 synth (which is as far from floppy as you can get).

36 2,149
 02-16-2020, 08:06 PM
User Info
Here's my collection of synthetic brushes. My go to brushes are the envy shaves and the Razorock 400. I prefer the bulb knot in the Envy brush, but wanted to try a fan knot. So, they've got options. [Image: cc4e4cf36606cf076e915399e4b15819.jpg]

0 14
 02-16-2020, 11:14 PM
  • P.B
  • UK
User Info
If you want backbone then I'd recommend AP Shave Co 28mm Silksmoke.  The big 28mm has far more backbone than the 24mm knots.  I have one and it has more backbone than any other knot I've tried in ten years of buying brushes.  I have one for free if you pay shipping but I'm in the UK so if you're US based it's probably cheaper to buy direct.

1 248
 02-16-2020, 11:17 PM
  • P.B
  • UK
User Info
Another option is the DS Cosmetics Soft Synthetic from Ali Express.  It's very dense and has a low loft creating a lot of backbone - again too much for my liking.

1 248
 02-17-2020, 05:46 AM
User Info
Wow terrific options here, you guys come up with brushes I have never heard before
I’ll start digging into this thank you all.

9 332
 02-17-2020, 05:57 AM
User Info
Muhle HJM

67 1,984
 02-17-2020, 08:04 AM
  • chazt
  • Queens, NY
User Info
The Tuxedo knot from Elite Razor has excellent backbone. He also has the Mother Lode knot which is very dense, but does not have the kind of backbone you’re looking for. It’s like lathering with a cloud! But definitely look into the tuxedo knot.

19 4,559
 02-17-2020, 08:44 AM
User Info
(02-16-2020, 05:30 PM)Matador Wrote: I can’t see the appealing other than the animal cruelty etc etc.. (not even want to start with that topic).
Well, if you don't care about cruelty to animals and you are happy with your badger and boar brushes, then why do you want a synthetic?

That said, the best synthetic I've ever tried and my best all-round brush all categories is the Mühle XL STF. I seem to be in the minority though, since they discontinued it. The knot can still be had from some artisan brushmakers who's got a stock, I think. The Chinese synthetic knots that I've tried have been vastly inferior in my opinion. As for backbone, well, if you want more than STF provides you are probably going to have to live with a glue bump.

[Image: h98nS4N.jpg]

1 405