02-18-2020, 04:32 PM
User Info
A while back I posted a thread where I outlined a quick method to re-use pomade sized containers to hold shave soap for travel purposes - as an alternative to shave sticks. This allows me to take CRSW glide on the airplane which is great. However, I’ve been thinking of flying with a badger brush instead of a synthetic. I can’t find any TSA regulations or anecdotal evidence that says to avoid doing so. I still greatly prefer natural hair brushes to synthetics - hence my question.

Does anyone fly, carry-on, with their badger brush? I mostly fly domestically, but have some international trips coming up - so experiences going through customs with a badger brush is valuable as well.

NOTE: I don’t check bags, period - not even when flying internationally.

36 2,147
 02-18-2020, 04:50 PM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
  • 44.4899° south of the North Pole
User Info
(02-18-2020, 04:32 PM)mike_the_kraken Wrote: I’ve been thinking of flying with a badger brush instead of a synthetic. I can’t find any TSA regulations or anecdotal evidence that says to avoid doing so. I still greatly prefer natural hair brushes to synthetics - hence my question.

Does anyone fly, carry-on, with their badger brush? I mostly fly domestically, but have some international trips coming up - so experiences going through customs with a badger brush is valuable as well.

We fly a LOT, though much of our flying is trans-Pacific.  From a TSA regulation standpoint, a brush is a brush:  no distinction between natural hair and synthetic.  I have carried a badger brush in carry-on, both domestic and international, since the TSA regulations went into effect, with no problem.  When I carry a brush, generally I carry a synthetic, for its faster drying times, as we often have one-night hotel stays.  If I am going to stay someplace for a week or so, then, like you, I would prefer the Semogue badger.

Tangent:  (Some airports do not like the collapsible Leki trekking pole that I carry onto the plane to navigate down the steep staircases in those airports that have the planes park on the tarmac.  When the gate agent insists that I send the pole as freight/checked, I ask the airline to order wheelchair service at the destination.) 

1 1,455
 02-18-2020, 05:40 PM
  • pbrmhl
  • Seattle
User Info
(02-18-2020, 04:50 PM)Mel S Meles Wrote:
(02-18-2020, 04:32 PM)mike_the_kraken Wrote: I’ve been thinking of flying with a badger brush instead of a synthetic. I can’t find any TSA regulations or anecdotal evidence that says to avoid doing so. I still greatly prefer natural hair brushes to synthetics - hence my question.

We fly a LOT, though much of our flying is trans-Pacific.  From a TSA regulation standpoint, a brush is a brush:  no distinction between natural hair and synthetic.  I have carried a badger brush in carry-on, both domestic and international, since the TSA regulations went into effect, with no problem.  When I carry a brush, generally I carry a synthetic, for its faster drying times, as we often have one-night hotel stays.  If I am going to stay someplace for a week or so, then, like you, I would prefer the Semogue badger.

Tangent:  (Some airports do not like the collapsible Leki trekking pole that I carry onto the plane to navigate down the steep staircases in those airports that have the planes park on the tarmac.  When the gate agent insists that I send the pole as freight/checked, I ask the airline to order wheelchair service at the destination.) 

Interesting. I sport a cane, though a one-piece non-adjustable wooden one. I often also put an adjustable Leki in checked luggage (if I’m checking). I’ve never had an issue with my wooden cane, domestic (US) or international. Should I be concerned? (Sorry for this brief hijack.)

17 728
 02-18-2020, 08:29 PM
User Info
Great info Mel, that’s what I was hoping for!

On the tangent - I found it strange that while I cannot carry-on trekking poles, my collapsible tripod is acceptable.

36 2,147
 02-18-2020, 09:05 PM
User Info
I've carried on badger and boar brushes on several domestic flights in the past, and never had an issue with  TSA.  However, these days I only travel with a synthetic.

60 10,548
 02-19-2020, 06:52 AM
  • chazt
  • Queens, NY
User Info
When we returned from UK this past summer, a passenger was allowed on the flight with items that looked like ski poles. He was harmless, but his freaking poles were super annoying!

19 4,548
 02-27-2020, 07:10 AM
User Info
I fly about once a month, carry on a shave brush every time and have never had a problem.

0 45