03-04-2020, 04:38 PM
User Info
(03-04-2020, 02:40 PM)nikos.a Wrote:
(03-04-2020, 02:32 PM)primotenore Wrote:
(03-04-2020, 02:01 PM)nikos.a Wrote: I agree with this sentiment.

I won't change my lathering habits to achieve a good lather. If this is what certain makers expect from us, it means that the product is defective somehow and the maker should fix this. First fix your product, do all the necessary changes and then offer it to me.
I don't share this sentiment. If a recipe is complicated, but yields delicious results, will you not cook it because you find it too complicated?  Don't suggest the chef change the recipe to suit your needs. Eat something else.

Apples to oranges.
My opinion is my opinion. I said I didn't share yours. If you think my comparison is invalid, so be it, but it is, in fact, a darn good comparison. Try to think outside the box for once.

81 6,029
 03-05-2020, 02:41 AM
User Info
(03-04-2020, 04:38 PM)primotenore Wrote:
(03-04-2020, 02:40 PM)nikos.a Wrote:
(03-04-2020, 02:32 PM)primotenore Wrote: I don't share this sentiment. If a recipe is complicated, but yields delicious results, will you not cook it because you find it too complicated?  Don't suggest the chef change the recipe to suit your needs. Eat something else.

Apples to oranges.
My opinion is my opinion. I said I didn't share yours. If you think my comparison is invalid, so be it, but it is, in fact, a darn good comparison. Try to think outside the box for once.

Accidentally I’m also into cooking and to an extent I agree with you.

I also happen to agree with Nikos.

Comparing cooking recipes and lathering techniques may be stretching it a bit too far. With that said making my own Demi-glaze can be very soothing and relaxing but takes up to two days of reducing and simmering.
It’s not for everyone. Most will skip this and buy a salty cube or a pre-made Demi-glaze at the supermarket.

If I need to complicate my lather technique to a tedious extra attention demanding ritual I’ll do just like you advised : Eat something else i.e. use another soap.

25 6,838
 03-05-2020, 06:38 AM
  • RyznRio
  • Connecticut
User Info
One man's tedium is another man's meditation. If you are soothed by a cooking a demi glaze for two days or prefer instead a McDonalds double bacon cheese and don't know how to work the stove in your home. It is good because that's the way you like it. Or, as we all know at TSN: YMMV

0 443
 03-05-2020, 08:41 AM
User Info
Gentlemen?
Relax. 
Can we just be gentlemen?  This really is a place to discuss a hobby.  I have strong opinions also...we really are just having fun here?  Aren’t we?  
Unless...I suppose...you live in Iran...You can lather any way that you choose, with any soap you choose...
Thank you Nikos for informing us of the issue with Nuavia.  My tub still works great, but I’d be pissed if it didn’t, after a short while too!
Pete (new guy)

0 94
 03-05-2020, 08:46 AM
User Info
(03-05-2020, 08:41 AM)PATRIOT Wrote: Gentlemen?
Relax. 
Can we just be gentlemen?  This really is a place to discuss a hobby.  I have strong opinions also...we really are just having fun here?  Aren’t we?  
Unless...I suppose...you live in Iran...You can lather any way that you choose, with any soap you choose...
Thank you Nikos for informing us of the issue with Nuavia.  My tub still works great, but I’d be pissed if it didn’t, after a short while too!
Pete (new guy)

It's all good, Pete. 

I hope you enjoy the hobby and have some amazing shaves.

Now it's time to go back and enjoy my life outside of the forum.

Have fun.

60 2,730
 03-05-2020, 08:51 AM
User Info
(03-05-2020, 08:46 AM)nikos.a Wrote:
(03-05-2020, 08:41 AM)PATRIOT Wrote: Gentlemen?
Relax. 
Pete (new guy)

It's all good, Pete. 

I hope you enjoy the hobby and have some amazing shaves.

Now it's time to go back and enjoy my life outside of the forum.

Have fun.
I just had one today, Thanks!
You as well...

0 94
 03-05-2020, 09:10 AM
User Info
Gentlemen, we have removed a number of posts from this thread.  These posts had nothing to do with the subject of the thread, and were just bickering and personal attacks.

It is the usual practice of the Moderators to contact anyone whose post has been removed and provide an explanation.  In this thread, it should be obvious to those affected that their posts were not consistent with TSN's standards for gentlemanly discussion.  Thus, we will not be contacting each of you individually. 

This is an interesting thread which raises a legitimate issue.  Let's please keep the dialog civil.

60 10,215
 03-05-2020, 10:52 AM
User Info
(03-05-2020, 06:38 AM)RyznRio Wrote: One man's tedium is another man's meditation. If you are soothed by a cooking a demi glaze for two days or prefer instead a McDonalds double bacon cheese and don't know how to work the stove in your home. It is good because that's the way you like it. Or, as we all know at TSN: YMMV

But of course, Sir.
Everything here is YMMV

Yet it’s still good fun to listen to other people’s opinions and ideas.
I might find inspiration in these ideas.

I haven’t read the posts, that had to be removed by the mods, but even though I have a temper, I do try to stay civil on the forums (and in real life too for that matter)

Please let us all continue to discuss our findings and subjective opinions without attacking each other.

I’m sad to see Nikos go. Hope he will chime in still once in a while.

Have a great day/evening, Gentlemen.

Now I’m off to cook Beef Wellington and making a red wine reduction sauce using one of my home made DemiGlaze cubes.

25 6,838
 03-05-2020, 12:19 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Claus, I need your address and a plane ticket.  Beef Wellington with a good red wine reduction sauce sounds great. Smile

187 26,077
 03-05-2020, 12:22 PM
  • Nero
User Info
(03-04-2020, 12:59 PM)bkatbamna Wrote: Luckily we are in a hobby where no matter how expensive a premium soap us it is usually less than $100 US.  Imagine being in the audio hobby where the industry comes up with new equipment(including cables that cost $10,000 per foot--yes that is not a misprint) every year saying how much better it is at reproducing music than what they made just a few weeks(months) ago.
Too bad no one makes music worth listening to.

98 3,991
 03-05-2020, 12:32 PM
User Info
(03-05-2020, 12:22 PM)Nero Wrote:
(03-04-2020, 12:59 PM)bkatbamna Wrote: Luckily we are in a hobby where no matter how expensive a premium soap us it is usually less than $100 US.  Imagine being in the audio hobby where the industry comes up with new equipment(including cables that cost $10,000 per foot--yes that is not a misprint) every year saying how much better it is at reproducing music than what they made just a few weeks(months) ago.

I love Indian Classical and Western classical music.  I have enough on CD to listen for the rest of my life.

1 567
 03-05-2020, 02:29 PM
  • Nero
User Info
(03-05-2020, 12:32 PM)bkatbamna Wrote:
(03-05-2020, 12:22 PM)Nero Wrote:

I love Indian Classical and Western classical music.  I have enough on CD to listen for the rest of my life.
Well yeah, that's music.
I was talking about today's popular (idiot) Muzak that takes no talent (or instruments).

98 3,991
 03-08-2020, 12:35 AM
  • Lis
  • Ex-Lurker
User Info
(02-19-2020, 09:16 AM)nikos.a Wrote: Some soaps change foam during use.
My advice that I use. Before you start collecting foam from the can again, fill it so that the water covers the soap (1 finger) with hot (but not too large) water, wait a couple of minutes and drain the water. I assure you, the foam will be better)
P.S / Often this is not necessary. Only for foam recovery.

0 8