02-21-2020, 07:50 PM
User Info
Gents,

Who doesn’t like reviving the good old Mitchell’s Wool Fat debate?  Claus...Johnny?

Ha!  At any rate, I was planning to use Eufros Tobacco tonight, and at the last second I thought, “Mitchell’s Wool Fat!”  I had that thought earlier in the week, but I have been having too much fun with soaps in my current rotation, so it was suppressed.  Tonight...I couldn’t resist!

So I grabbed the ceramic dish, put a few drops of water on it, soaked my Semogue LE Boar, and hopped in the shower.

The resultant lather was excellent, and the shave magnificent!  

Equipment used...

Soap:  Mitchell’s Wool Fat
Brush: Semogue LE Boar
Razor: Carbon Shaving Co

Blade: Wizamet BN-76 on its third use...man these blades are SLAMMIN!

Post-Shave:  Eufros Dama De Noche

If you haven’t tried MWF...you owe it to yourself to see what the fuss is about!  It has a nice mild soapy scent, and I think it’s pretty fantastic...especially at the under 18 dollars shipped price point!

Vr 

Matt

[Image: p6kCRn8.jpg][Image: jGuDfCM.jpg][Image: tJ7VXIU.jpg]

36 2,326
 02-21-2020, 07:58 PM
User Info
What do you mean by “BN-76”? The last few digits of the bar code number?  I use Wizamet exclusively, and I concur, they are SLAMMIN’!

I’ve been using The ‘fat again a lot recently and love it more than I used to. Does anyone know of an aftershave balm or splash that smells similar? I love the scent!

14 660
 02-21-2020, 08:14 PM
User Info
This is my friend Przemek’s photo from a different thread when he explained it.  These are the vintage Wizamet Super Iridium blades, and they came in two versions the BN-76 and the BN-84.  

According to Przemek, the BN-76 underwent a tighter quality control, and they are the better version of this vintage blade.  I have to say...they are amazingly sharp and smooth...feels like wiping stubble off the face instead of cutting, and with zero redness or irritation.  I am testing the longevity of one now.  The first three shaves were sublime!

Przemek,

Did I get the basics right?  Thanks!

Vr 

Matt

Vr 

Matt
 [Image: hE51PmL.jpg]

36 2,326
 02-21-2020, 08:24 PM
User Info
This is a wonderful soap. Unfortunately, I could never get past its strong synthetic scent. I have no idea what it is, but it is just too much, for me. 

Those Wizamets look very interesting. If those older ones are better than the ones in the newer/recent blue package, then they must be superb as I find the latter ones to be excellent and probably the best DE blade I have tried.

92 21,341
 02-22-2020, 05:34 AM
User Info
Celestino,

I have not yet used the BN-84s...I have a few and have some on the way...so I will try them soon. I also have not tried the newer Iridium blades that you mention.

Przemek holds these vintage Iridium blades in very high regard, and that is what peaked my curiosity. Glad he mentioned them, because I had never heard of them!

These BN-76 blades are every bit as good as the Personna 74s and Wilkinson Light Brigades thus far. I use the LBs and 74s for 15 shaves on average, so we will see how long this one travels.

I will post about it along the way!

Vr

Matt

36 2,326
 02-22-2020, 07:28 AM
  • chazt
  • Queens, NY
User Info
(02-21-2020, 08:24 PM)celestino Wrote: This is a wonderful soap. Unfortunately, I could never get past its strong synthetic scent. I have no idea what it is, but it is just too much, for me. 

Yes. I agree about the scent. I’ve bought MWF twice and have used up both pucks long ago. The soap is very good, but the scent is a wee bit strong. Although it smells powdery, my wife (who loves the smell of baby powder) found the scent of MWF off-putting.

19 4,559
 02-22-2020, 07:35 AM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
(02-22-2020, 07:28 AM)chazt Wrote:
(02-21-2020, 08:24 PM)celestino Wrote: This is a wonderful soap. Unfortunately, I could never get past its strong synthetic scent. I have no idea what it is, but it is just too much, for me. 

Yes. I agree about the scent. I’ve bought MWF twice and have used up both pucks long ago. The soap is very good, but the scent is a wee bit strong. Although it smells powdery, my wife (who loves the smell of baby powder) found the scent of MWF off-putting.

It’s funny how individuals perceive scents differently. Strong is definitely not a term that I would use to describe the scent.

53 21,655
 02-22-2020, 08:47 AM
User Info
(02-22-2020, 07:35 AM)bullgoose Wrote:
(02-22-2020, 07:28 AM)chazt Wrote:

It’s funny how individuals perceive scents differently. Strong is definitely not a term that I would use to describe the scent.

I agree Phil! I would describe MWF as soft, and mild...I also would not describe it as synthetic smelling. Difference noses smell different things I guess! I hope everyone is having a nice weekend!

Vr

Matt

36 2,326
 02-22-2020, 08:50 AM
User Info
chacun à son goût

[ˌSHäkən ä sôn ˈɡo͞o]

EXCLAMATION

1. each to one's own taste.

This debate has no end! Some like this, some like that. Some like Arko too.

67 1,983
 02-22-2020, 09:36 AM
User Info
(02-22-2020, 08:50 AM)jackgoldman123 Wrote: chacun à son goût

[ˌSHäkən ä sôn ˈɡo͞o]

EXCLAMATION

1. each to one's own taste.

This debate has no end! Some like this, some like that. Some like Arko too.

Bahahaha! I haven’t tried Arko or vintage Williams! Perhaps Williams.

Vr

Matt

36 2,326
 02-22-2020, 12:43 PM
User Info
I have nothing good to say about MWF, so I'll stay out of this thread  Tongue

It's the one and only soap - out of 50-60 different brands of soaps -  I could never get to lather worth a darn on my skin.

I know MWF has many many fans and it's a soap, that has stood the test of time for its fans.

25 6,898
 02-22-2020, 01:39 PM
  • Nero
User Info
(02-22-2020, 08:47 AM)Ols67 Wrote: I would describe MWF as soft, and mild...I also would not describe it as synthetic smelling.

+1

98 4,141
 02-22-2020, 02:43 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
(02-22-2020, 08:47 AM)Ols67 Wrote:
(02-22-2020, 07:35 AM)bullgoose Wrote:
(02-22-2020, 07:28 AM)chazt Wrote: Yes. I agree about the scent. I’ve bought MWF twice and have used up both pucks long ago. The soap is very good, but the scent is a wee bit strong. Although it smells powdery, my wife (who loves the smell of baby powder) found the scent of MWF off-putting.

I agree Phil!  I would describe MWF as soft, and mild...I also would not describe it as synthetic smelling.  Difference noses smell different things I guess!  I hope everyone is having a nice weekend!

Vr

Matt

Perhaps they were confusing it with Tabac.  Huh Both soaps come in cool bowls and both soaps were really popular 8 or nine years ago.

53 21,655
 02-22-2020, 04:21 PM
User Info
MWF. The one and only. Easy to lather. Superb slickness and a post shave that rivals soaps 5X as expensive. The bath soap is awesome as well.

84 6,350
 02-23-2020, 01:34 AM
User Info
(02-22-2020, 04:21 PM)primotenore Wrote: MWF. The one and only. Easy to lather. Superb slickness and a post shave that rivals soaps 5X as expensive. The bath soap is awesome as well.

I had a bath soap that I tried years ago and I think it would be good to try for the dry weather. Do you purchase this frequently with ease?

I'd like to revisit MWF shave in the future but I don't need to repurchase it right now. I have the Haslinger alternative to finish and I think that is a little better than MWF but I prefer the scent of MWF quite a bit.

I guess based on all the recent posts, I am out here with my memory of MWF but I thought I got a light, slightly soapy, but cologne scent. A little clean and citrus type English scent but not "squeaky" or boring. I think some mention it is a little synthetic to their nose. What comes to mind is very cloying aspects of some TOBS products. The  TOBS shave creams had so many nice scents and the performance was solid. But MWF reminds me of a very well done scent of a soft, English type scent that is sleek, clean scent.

Mitchell's Wool Fat can work I think with some hard water but it is ultimately going to be successful with the need to use it more frequently to keep it soft. The complaint of cracking in this soap when it remains unlathered is absolutely true in my experience. This may be best used 2 to 3 shaves a week start to finish and it should be compatible with it's fair share of people's skins. There are lots of people who need a lanolin-free formula for their soap to avoid any skin reactions during lathering. But luckily my face is fine with so if I choose, there are some soap I have that have it. We don't need lanolin for every great soap but if it's is a resource and fair trade, I think it is okay to use it for your self care and skin softening properties.

87 1,801
 02-23-2020, 02:00 AM
User Info
Here's my MWF lathering video, as you can see my water is very, very hard so I have to use a lot more product for the equivalent lather on nearly all products. I like it but no longer love it, Haslinger Schafmilch provides the same post shave benefits without the need for elbow grease.

4 354
 02-23-2020, 02:29 AM
User Info
(02-22-2020, 01:39 PM)Nero Wrote:
(02-22-2020, 08:47 AM)Ols67 Wrote: I would describe MWF as soft, and mild...I also would not describe it as synthetic smelling.

+1
+2

60 2,730
 02-23-2020, 05:45 AM
User Info
(02-23-2020, 01:34 AM)zaclikestoshave Wrote:
(02-22-2020, 04:21 PM)primotenore Wrote: MWF. The one and only. Easy to lather. Superb slickness and a post shave that rivals soaps 5X as expensive. The bath soap is awesome as well.

I had a bath soap that I tried years ago and I think it would be good to try for the dry weather. Do you purchase this frequently with ease?

I'd like to revisit MWF shave in the future but I don't need to repurchase it right now. I have the Haslinger alternative to finish and I think that is a little better than MWF but I prefer the scent of MWF quite a bit.

I guess based on all the recent posts, I am out here with my memory of MWF but I thought I got a light, slightly soapy, but cologne scent. A little clean and citrus type English scent but not "squeaky" or boring. I think some mention it is a little synthetic to their nose. What comes to mind is very cloying aspects of some TOBS products. The  TOBS shave creams had so many nice scents and the performance was solid. But MWF reminds me of a very well done scent of a soft, English type scent that is sleek, clean scent.

Mitchell's Wool Fat can work I think with some hard water but it is ultimately going to be successful with the need to use it more frequently to keep it soft. The complaint of cracking in this soap when it remains unlathered is absolutely true in my experience. This may be best used 2 to 3 shaves a week start to finish and it should be compatible with it's fair share of people's skins. There are lots of people who need a lanolin-free formula for their soap to avoid any skin reactions during lathering. But luckily my face is fine with so if I choose, there are some soap I have that have it. We don't need lanolin for every great soap but if it's is a resource and fair trade, I think it is okay to use it for your self care and skin softening properties.
I usually wait for a sale. It's readily available on Amazon. I should remind everyone that these 150g bars are extremely hard and last a really long time. With a fresh, clean scent, they also leave my skin feeling great. 

84 6,350
 02-23-2020, 06:43 AM
User Info

Yes, the bath soap is excellent.  BullGoose carries it, so that's where I get it.

60 10,557