09-26-2012, 08:29 AM
User Info
Final update - these have gone off to eBay. Thank for you for looking. Moderators, please archive.

PRICE DROPS ON 38C AND SHAVETTE:

38C NOW $30 SHIPPED
GILLETTE SHAVE NOW $35 SHIPPED

Hi everyone -

As I'm sure everyone has, or will, I have accumulated too much stuff. This post concerns the razors. The prices below include shipping CONUS (for international I will ship at cost). I usually ship USPS First Class with Delivery Confirmation.

(1) Tradere Open Comb (1st Generation) razor. This is a beautifully made, completely stainless steel three-piece razor with a PILS/iKon style head. These are not made any more, as a second generation has just been released.

This is no. OC-00129. Love it, hate it, feel indifferent, or haven't tried it, its a very nice piece of craftsmanship. It has a long handle with great attention to detail and understated knurling.

It comes with the original box. These retailed for about $150; I could not put a definitive price on this one as I traded for it, so I will say: $120. SOLD! Thanks wehteh and TSN!

(2) Schick "Hydromagic" I2 Injector razor. This is a great all-around injector for anyone who either loves injectors or hasn't tried them. The "hydromagic" part is a lever in the underside of the head that will loosen the head to rinse the blade completely without the blade slipping out. Its a pretty remarkable feature. I bought this off of eBay a few months ago for $22 and got a four pack of Schick blades (Chinese) which come 7 to a pack off Amazon for $20. I've used one, so there are still 27 blades left to go. I've found that the thicker injector blades last quite a bit longer than a "normal" DE blade, so this will last you a long time. The razor is in just as good a shape as I got it, so I figure a good price would be $35. SOLD! Thanks staggerlee and TSN!

(3) Merkur 38C "Barberpole" straight-bar razor. This is a tank, a nice and sturdy razor with the classic "HD" head on the substantial "barberpole" handle. The knurling is tough and grips well, and it shaves great. This model was the first one I used but I sold that one a while ago. I bought this one recently to take a trip down memory lane. I just happen to like open combs more these days. I bought it for around $50, so I figure that since I don't have the box any more, that $35 would be a good price.

(4) Gillette Shavette in red. This one is an interesting one; these were being sold sort of "NOS" from a Badger & Blade member in Germany. I have no idea about the history of these, but he claimed they were made in the late-60's into the 80's. I don't know if they were made only for Europe or Asia, but it seems that, based on the lack of information about these, they weren't made for the US market. Anyway, for a shavette, its very nice. While I've liked the craftsmanship, I've never been a fan of the Dovo shavette mechanism and while I like the mechanism, I've never been a fan of the Parker shavette craftsmanship. This Gillette has the "butterfly" mechanism with very nice craftsmanship. I bought it for $45; the sleeve it came in is a little beat-up, so I will sell it for $40.

Feel free to PM me with questions or comments. If you feel that my prices are out of line, please feel free to publicly comment in-thread. I usually try to explain why I arrived at the price that I did, but I welcome constructive criticism.

Finally, please bear with me as I am going to be posting more items (as you can probably guess there will be a "brush" post and a "soaps/creams" post soon!). I pretty much have everything ready to ship.

Thanks,
Josh

72 1,407
 09-26-2012, 09:03 AM
User Info
Wow. Nice Tradere-wish I was an open comb kinda guy.

97 615
 09-26-2012, 10:26 AM
User Info
Never knew Gillette produced shavette.

0 23
 09-27-2012, 03:20 AM
User Info
Quick update: injector sold!

72 1,407
 10-01-2012, 06:40 AM
User Info
Another quick update: Tradere sold! 38c and Gillette shavette still available.

72 1,407
 10-01-2012, 08:25 AM
User Info
The 38c was one of my favs too
great razor great price
Paul

0 19
 10-02-2012, 05:20 AM
User Info
Price drops! 38C now $30 (was $35); shavette now $35 (was $40).

72 1,407
 10-02-2012, 01:55 PM
User Info
(09-26-2012, 08:29 AM)jpakstis Wrote: 38C NOW $30 SHIPPED

That's a great price on a great razor!

0 836
 10-16-2012, 11:40 AM
User Info
Bump, before the last two standing go to eBay.

72 1,407
 10-18-2012, 05:50 AM
User Info
Final update - these have gone off to eBay. Thank you for looking. Moderators, please archive.

72 1,407