02-24-2020, 08:03 PM
User Info
I haven’t recieved any PM’s asking me about how I lather La Savonniere du Moulin, but I thought I’d create a thread about it anyway Biggrin

Seriously though - this soap comes in what looks like a small, extremely hard puck. It sat in my drawer for the better part of a year because that form factor made it more difficult to use. The other day I took a recently finished container (Wholly Kaw pompelmo - a 6oz container that ships with 4oz of soap) and with the aid of a hammer, encouraged the La Savonniere du Moulin to fit. It filled the container, although it must be said that I intentionally left it quite irregular with a few deep crevices. This form allows for easy loading of lots of soap, no distilled water or dropper required.

If you’re looking to give your La Savonniere du Moulin some extra life, and who wouldn’t - this is fantastic soap, give this method a go.

36 2,159
 02-24-2020, 09:36 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
The real question is did you use the bloom water.  Tongue

53 21,664
 02-24-2020, 10:13 PM
  • Mr_Smartepants
  • Cambridgeshire, UK (CONUS post address)
User Info
Nice! Biggrin
In all seriousness, I just take the puck and grind it on my stubble like a big shave stick and hit it with a wet brush.  Works great, no fancy syringes needed.

49 2,171
 02-25-2020, 01:30 AM
User Info
Seriously? Really need to take pot shots at someone else here with the distilled water and syringe comments? What’s your point?

231 1,368
 02-25-2020, 01:41 AM
User Info
(02-24-2020, 08:03 PM)mike_the_kraken Wrote: I haven’t recieved any PM’s asking me about how I lather La Savonniere du Moulin, but I thought I’d create a thread about it anyway Biggrin

Seriously though - this soap comes in what looks like a small, extremely hard puck. It sat in my drawer for the better part of a year because that form factor made it more difficult to use. The other day I took a recently finished container (Wholly Kaw pompelmo - a 6oz container that ships with 4oz of soap) and with the aid of a hammer, encouraged the La Savonniere du Moulin to fit. It filled the container, although it must be said that I intentionally left it quite irregular with a few deep crevices. This form allows for easy loading of lots of soap, no distilled water or dropper required.

If you’re looking to give your La Savonniere du Moulin some extra life, and who wouldn’t - this is fantastic soap, give this method a go.
Each one has his lathering method, no need to make fun of Matt's threads. Just saying. It's pretty obvious. The title, the comments etc., come on.

You could have done better. Maybe next time.

Edit: I see no lathering method just a few words about a soap hence my comments.

60 2,730
 02-25-2020, 03:59 AM
User Info
I tend to forget this shaving soap, when I name my favourite shaving soaps.

It's really a great shaving soap.
Mine was always hard as a rock.

It lathers with ease for me. Just like a shaving soap should do.

The second you need to give advice to an experienced wet-shaver on how to lather a shaving soaps, in my view, there is something wrong with the shaving soap.

25 6,911
 02-25-2020, 07:17 AM
User Info
I bought mine few years back on Nick's recommendation and I can't thank him enough for it. Love the orangish scent notes and it's a no fuss soap...lathers in a jiffy. But yes, the container sucks and so does the labeling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4 1,341
 02-25-2020, 07:28 AM
User Info
(02-25-2020, 03:59 AM)CHSeifert Wrote: I tend to forget this shaving soap, when I name my favourite shaving soaps.

The second you need to give advice to an experienced wet-shaver on how to lather a shaving soaps, in my view, there is something wrong with the shaving soap.

Disagree. Plenty of experienced shavers have bad technique.

231 1,368
 02-25-2020, 08:41 AM
  • David
  • Toronto
User Info
I love La Savonniere du Moulin.  One of the best moisturizing soaps I have.  Very important issue for me in the winter.  It super-lather it with one of my top soaps that isn't very moisturizing, like Martin de Candre or S. M. Novella Crema da Barba.  The donkey's milk really helps.  It's almost magical in fact.

Lathering is as easy and enjoyable as any other soap.  

And, the puck fits in an empty Krokos jar with lots of space left over.

1 672
 02-25-2020, 08:47 AM
User Info
(02-25-2020, 07:28 AM)nervosa1901 Wrote:
(02-25-2020, 03:59 AM)CHSeifert Wrote: I tend to forget this shaving soap, when I name my favourite shaving soaps.

Very true, and they don't even know it. 

86 6,444
 02-25-2020, 08:54 AM
User Info
(02-25-2020, 08:47 AM)primotenore Wrote:

Ignorance is bliss?
This brings up a question: what item(s) constitute(s) bad technique?

69 2,005
 02-25-2020, 09:25 AM
User Info
(02-25-2020, 08:54 AM)jackgoldman123 Wrote:
(02-25-2020, 08:47 AM)primotenore Wrote:
(02-25-2020, 07:28 AM)nervosa1901 Wrote: Disagree. Plenty of experienced shavers have bad technique.

Ignorance is bliss?
This brings up a question: what item(s) constitute(s) bad technique?

The proof is in the pictures. I’ve seen many, many lather shots composed of a horrible mess of airy lather, the producer of which proclaims it to be fantastic, wonderful, etc. I’m of the opinion that those with bad technique who poo poo a product because they don’t know what the hell they are doing, are causing a great disservice to others who then think it must be the product and not the user.

231 1,368
 02-25-2020, 11:48 AM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
  • 44.4899° south of the North Pole
User Info
(02-25-2020, 09:25 AM)nervosa1901 Wrote: The proof is in the pictures. I’ve seen many, many lather shots composed of a horrible mess of airy lather, the producer of which proclaims it to be fantastic, wonderful, etc.

If you can tell — from a photograph — how well a shave soap or shave cream will perform in an actual shave, youre a better man than I am, Gunga Din.

1 1,457
 02-25-2020, 11:50 AM
User Info
(02-25-2020, 11:48 AM)Mel S Meles Wrote:
(02-25-2020, 09:25 AM)nervosa1901 Wrote: The proof is in the pictures. I’ve seen many, many lather shots composed of a horrible mess of airy lather, the producer of which proclaims it to be fantastic, wonderful, etc.

If you can tell — from a photograph — how well a shave soap or shave cream will perform in an actual shave, youre a better man than I am, Gunga Din.

I know based on early experience that an airy lather generally is no good. To those who know no better, that’s great for them.

231 1,368
 02-25-2020, 03:37 PM
User Info

And you know that......based on your self proclaimed perfect technique ?!?

Touché, mon ami.

If an experienced shaver have used numerous products with success for many many years and a certain soap cause problems, I don’t really care whether the soap needs extra nursing to lather or the experienced shaver is not nursing the soap well enough to conclude, that this soap is most certainly NOT worth it.

YMMV

25 6,911
 02-25-2020, 05:09 PM
User Info
Gents,

I think that everyone needs to take a step back and relax. This thread is a stain on our forum, and community.

Mike was being clever and having a little fun with this thread at my expense...big deal. It is nothing to get bent out of shape about, or to cause arguments over. It totally is not worth it. At least he probably has reminded folks about what sounds like a great shave soap.

Folks don’t like Sebum Soaps because they think it is too hard for them to lather or it is too expensive for them to give it a shot. Okay...so what...I get it...that all makes sense to me. If I couldn’t lather it, couldn’t figure it out, or I didn’t want to spend my money on it, I might point that out in threads as well. I personally find everything about this particular brand of soap to be appealing, and so I say so on the forums. Conversely if folks don’t like it, they have a right to say so as well. We need to be respectful of each other....it’s just soap and lather techniques.

I have found my lathers to be amazing when I use distilled water and a syringe to add the water. Great...big deal. Folks have a right to tell everyone they think that is crazy, because they have always added water with their hands or lathered on their face. WoW...great...I think most people know that their technique varies from almost everyone else’s technique.

I guess what I am trying to say is that it is disappointing when folks who I believe to be gentlemen engage in this sort of snarky and catty bullshit. We are better than this as individuals, and as a community.

Vr

Matt

37 2,326
 02-25-2020, 06:00 PM
User Info
Matt, I assume the original intent of this thread was good natured ribbing.   

There are multiple ways to enjoy this hobby.  I would not deal with a soap requiring distilled water measured with a syringe.  However, if that process is an aspect of our hobby you enjoy, that's great.  

What's important is to act as gentlemen and respect different approaches.

60 10,593
 02-25-2020, 08:19 PM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
  • 44.4899° south of the North Pole
User Info
(02-25-2020, 11:50 AM)nervosa1901 Wrote:
(02-25-2020, 11:48 AM)Mel S Meles Wrote:

I know based on early experience that an airy lather generally is no good. To those who know no better, that’s great for them.

For a period of two decades, I “wet” shaved, every morning, seven days a week, with one — the same one — shaving soap.   I did not then (and I do not today) allege that that singular shaving soap was (or is) the best performing shaving soap that I could buy.  But it gave me very good performance, ending in a close, comfortable shave:   hence, my lack of incentive to seek out alternatives.  

That soap was Col. Ichabod Conk Amber shaving soap.  If you never have tried Col. Conk — and I assume from your posts that you have not — then you would know that that soap does not “lather” worth a damn.  But swirling a good shaving brush over the surface of a puck of Col. Conk and applying the loaded brush to one’s beard, one gets a very slick (and invisible) film on one’s face and beard, a film that yields a close and comfortable shave.  Similarly, should you try a good “brushless” shaving cream, such as Aubrey Men's Stock Northwoods Shave Cream, for your shave, you may be shocked that, despite the fact that it does not create any lather, at all, it yields a very good shave.  

In short, the correlation between good performance from a shave soap or shave cream and photogenic lather generated from a shave soap or shave cream is very low.  

1 1,457
 02-26-2020, 03:26 AM
User Info
(02-25-2020, 08:19 PM)Mel S Meles Wrote:
(02-25-2020, 11:50 AM)nervosa1901 Wrote:
(02-25-2020, 11:48 AM)Mel S Meles Wrote: If you can tell — from a photograph — how well a shave soap or shave cream will perform in an actual shave, youre a better man than I am, Gunga Din.

For a period of two decades, I “wet” shaved, every morning, seven days a week, with one — the same one — shaving soap.   I did not then (and I do not today) allege that that singular shaving soap was (or is) the best performing shaving soap that I could buy.  But it gave me very good performance, ending in a close, comfortable shave:   hence, my lack of incentive to seek out alternatives.  

That soap was Col. Ichabod Conk Amber shaving soap.  If you never have tried Col. Conk — and I assume from your posts that you have not — then you would know that that soap does not “lather” worth a damn.  But swirling a good shaving brush over the surface of a puck of Col. Conk and applying the loaded brush to one’s beard, one gets a very slick (and invisible) film on one’s face and beard, a film that yields a close and comfortable shave.  Similarly, should you try a good “brushless” shaving cream, such as Aubrey Men's Stock Northwoods Shave Cream, for your shave, you may be shocked that, despite the fact that it does not create any lather, at all, it yields a very good shave.  

In short, the correlation between good performance from a shave soap or shave cream and photogenic lather generated from a shave soap or shave cream is very low.  
Some very valid points made, MSM, and may I add, MWF. It never gets the shiny quality of a Stirling soap, even "appearing" airy, but when properly created, will remain stabile and protective with the added benefit of a very good post shave. So the moral of the story could also be, "Don't judge a book by its cover".

86 6,444
 02-26-2020, 07:33 AM
User Info
Many good points on this thread. 

I worked with the same unscented, unstructured lather for about 5 years straight back in the day, when using the Hydrolast products. Streaky, unstructured, funky lather. That produced remarkable results. It was a kind of 'roll your own' artisan soap before there were artisan soaps.

So, I get it that you can't judge the performance aspect of a soap from a pretty lather picture.

Having said that, Matt obviously took a lot of time and patience dialing in the Sebum line of soaps, and shared that with us. He revived the soaps for me, as I had given up on them a year ago, because the lather was not what I was looking for. I adopted his method, and found it works, and my skin feels great. I feel bad that his sharing of that technique is met with snark and mockery. 

Will I continue to use a syringe going forward? Probably not, but it's good for me at first not to be sloppy with the slow addition of water. 

Are there soaps that have a very wide range of hydration tolerance? Sure. If you like them, use them-I certainly do.

Like many of you, I can grab most any of the soaps in my den, including La Savonniere du Moulin, load it, take it to the face, add water as necessary and get a great shave.

To each his own. De gustibus non est disputandum. 

One more thing: Learning a new technique, building a nice looking lather from a finicky soap is a challenge, and for me that's a great deal of fun. It's a long way from 47 years ago when I thought I was so sophisticated with my brush and mug of Old Spice soap.

37 1,071