02-26-2020, 05:14 PM
  • chazt
  • Shimmer of Techs
  • Queens, NY
User Info
For as long as I’ve been aware, DE blades have been consistently available in the pharmacy chains here in beautiful downtown Bayside, NY. Although chains have merged and been bought out in the last decade, we still have a plethora of local Walgreens, Duane Reade and CVS stores within a 5 mile radius.

Over the last few weeks I’ve noticed that none of those stores here are stocking double edge blades any longer. I’ve asked in each store and the standard reply is that they just weren’t selling well so they’re not restocking. Local independent pharmacies still carry 5-packs of Wilkinson blades (don’t like ‘em) and Personna blades (Very High Priced!). My favorite local independent pharmacy stocks those and also Schick injector blades. He’s also special ordered a box of 100 Lab Blues upon request.

There’s one supermarket that carries a store branded Israeli Personna 10-pack blade. I’ve been known to buy them from time to time in an effort to ensure they keep them on the shelf for bladeless, desperado DE shavers, but apparently there’s not so many of us around here.

What have your experienced where you live?

(Edit: Mods, I posted this here to be seen by a wider audience, however if you want to move this to the Blades sub forum, please do as you see fit.)

19 4,681
 02-26-2020, 05:42 PM
User Info
I found Personna Red 10 packs at 99¢ City, for *drum roll...99¢! I don’t use them so I don’t buy them, but I did try a pack to test them out. I also don’t shop there often, and saw them on a whim to look. Last I saw they still had them.

I look from time to time in any grocery I’m in just to see, and usually see a rebranded pack of what look like personna 10 packs all the time

14 660
 02-26-2020, 07:49 PM
User Info
Charlie, here in Miami they vanished years ago.  No major supermarkets carry them.  Occasionally, one can find rebranded Personnas in a CVS, but you can't count on it.

60 10,690
 02-26-2020, 09:20 PM
  • SCOV
  • Minnesota
User Info
My local Target stocks: Van De Hagen, Art of Shaving and Bevel blades.  Web site search does include Utility Knives.

17 968
 02-27-2020, 02:07 AM
User Info
Until recently only large supermarkets sold them here in the UK and they would be either rebranded Israeli Personna or S.Korean Dorco. Recently noticed DE blades popping up in smaller pharmacies and some supermarkets even stock a choice of two now, the aforementioned plus German Wilkinson Sword... Ooh, the luxury of choice.

Unfortunately they are all vastly overpriced so I've never bought any, we're talking £4/$5 for a pack of 10 mediocre blades... If caught short I'd be more likely to purchase some readily available BIC 1 or 2 disposables than bad quality DE blades.

4 367
 02-27-2020, 04:04 AM
  • chazt
  • Shimmer of Techs
  • Queens, NY
User Info
(02-26-2020, 05:42 PM)vigilantesd Wrote: I found Personna Red 10 packs at 99¢ City, for *drum roll...99¢! I don’t use them so I don’t buy them, but I did try a pack to test them out. I also don’t shop there often, and saw them on a whim to look. Last I saw they still had them.

I look from time to time in any grocery I’m in just to see, and usually see a rebranded pack of what look like personna 10 packs all the time

Wow! 99 cents for 10 blades is the blade bargain of the decade!! IPs are my favorite blades. I’d have bought hundreds of them.

19 4,681
 02-27-2020, 04:08 AM
  • chazt
  • Shimmer of Techs
  • Queens, NY
User Info
(02-26-2020, 07:49 PM)TheLegalRazor Wrote: Charlie, here in Miami they vanished years ago.  No major supermarkets carry them.  Occasionally, one can find rebranded Personnas in a CVS, but you can't count on it.

Hey, Ricardo. The rebranded Personna blades get the job done for me. They’re not exactly the same as the name brand, but I can easily get two comfortable shaves from one of them which is all I expect to from any blade. Check your local CVS periodically. I wonder if that’s a decision the chain has made on a national level, or if they’re leaving that to the discretion of individual stores.

19 4,681
 02-27-2020, 04:11 AM
  • chazt
  • Shimmer of Techs
  • Queens, NY
User Info
(02-26-2020, 09:20 PM)SCOV Wrote: My local Target stocks: Van De Hagen, Art of Shaving and Bevel blades.  Web site search does include Utility Knives.

I’ve tried two VDH blades from a supermarket 5 pack and found them to be every bit as uncomfortable as Merkurs and Wilkinsons. I haven’t tried either of the other brands you mention.

19 4,681
 02-27-2020, 04:15 AM
  • chazt
  • Shimmer of Techs
  • Queens, NY
User Info
(02-27-2020, 02:07 AM)Rohleder Wrote: Until recently only large supermarkets sold them here in the UK and they would be either rebranded Israeli Personna or S.Korean Dorco. Recently noticed DE blades popping up in smaller pharmacies and some supermarkets even stock a choice of two now, the aforementioned plus German Wilkinson Sword... Ooh, the luxury of choice.

Unfortunately they are all vastly overpriced so I've never bought any, we're talking £4/$5 for a pack of 10 mediocre blades... If caught short I'd be more likely to purchase some readily available BIC 1 or 2 disposables than bad quality DE blades.

Yes, I agree. Those Dorcos are pretty miserable. You’re not the first person who’s mentioned using BIC disposables in a pinch. In the past I wasn’t much of a fan, but if I’m ever faced with a blade emergency in a strange town I’d likely try them again.

19 4,681
 02-27-2020, 05:55 AM
User Info
(02-27-2020, 04:15 AM)chazt Wrote:
(02-27-2020, 02:07 AM)Rohleder Wrote: Until recently only large supermarkets sold them here in the UK and they would be either rebranded Israeli Personna or S.Korean Dorco. Recently noticed DE blades popping up in smaller pharmacies and some supermarkets even stock a choice of two now, the aforementioned plus German Wilkinson Sword... Ooh, the luxury of choice.

Yes, I agree. Those Dorcos are pretty miserable. You’re not the first person who’s mentioned using BIC disposables in a pinch. In the past I wasn’t much of a fan, but if I’m ever faced with a blade emergency in a strange town I’d likely try them again.

Worth a try, I see them as lightweight disposable injectors... Same geometry etc.

[Image: images10.jpg]
[Image: images11.jpg]

4 367
 02-27-2020, 02:47 PM
User Info
Van der Hagen blades populate the Walmarts, Targets, and Walgreens of the SF bay area. I have seen Israeli Personnas at several Dollar Trees too. These work in a pinch but nothing beats buying online.

3 51
 02-27-2020, 07:31 PM
  • chazt
  • Shimmer of Techs
  • Queens, NY
User Info
(02-27-2020, 02:47 PM)The_SwampFox Wrote: Van der Hagen blades populate the Walmarts, Targets, and Walgreens of the SF bay area. I have seen Israeli Personnas at several Dollar Trees too. These work in a pinch but nothing beats buying online.

True. However it’s nice to know there are local options. Did you like those VDH blades?

19 4,681
 02-27-2020, 07:33 PM
  • chazt
  • Shimmer of Techs
  • Queens, NY
User Info
(02-27-2020, 05:55 AM)Rohleder Wrote:
(02-27-2020, 04:15 AM)chazt Wrote:

Worth a try, I see them as lightweight disposable injectors... Same geometry etc.

[Image: images10.jpg]
[Image: images11.jpg]
Interesting. Definitely worth another look.

19 4,681
 02-29-2020, 11:55 PM
User Info
(02-27-2020, 07:31 PM)chazt Wrote:
(02-27-2020, 02:47 PM)The_SwampFox Wrote: Van der Hagen blades populate the Walmarts, Targets, and Walgreens of the SF bay area. I have seen Israeli Personnas at several Dollar Trees too. These work in a pinch but nothing beats buying online.

True. However it’s nice to know there are local options. Did you like those VDH blades?

Admittedly, I have only tried the Dollar Tree Personnas and have not given the VDH's a try yet. The Personnas shaved well and similar to the typical Israeli Reds in my experience. However, I have been itching to see if any local stores carry the Gillette Pure Shave Cream and would most likely pick up the VDH blades out of curiosity.

3 51