02-27-2020, 05:52 PM
User Info
Hi Gents

New to the forum - nice to sign on 

I’m relatively new to DE shaving.  It’s been a bit of a learning curve, but after some experimentation I’ve settled on a Slim Adjustable and Astra platinum blades.  My beard is very, very coarse - the best shaves I have are with the Slim turned up to 9, and let it glide through the forest.  Ive learned to wield the Slim this way and have very fine shaves.  

My question is, are there other vintage Gillette razors that may shave as well or better with my thick beard?  Red Tip?...

Thanks a lot

Lemko Ray

0 1
 02-27-2020, 06:32 PM
User Info
Welcome from West Tennessee...

Sent from my SM-T387V using Tapatalk

0 59
 02-27-2020, 06:41 PM
User Info
Welcome to TSN,  Lemko!  I expect you'll get some helpful suggestions from our knowledgeable members.

60 10,559
 02-27-2020, 07:37 PM
  • chazt
  • Queens, NY
User Info
Hello and welcome to TSN. I’m a big fan of Red Tips. I also enjoy my Gillette NEW for three + days grown. Doesn’t often get that out often but that razor laughs at my wiry scruff!

19 4,562
 02-28-2020, 10:04 AM
  • RyznRio
  • Connecticut
User Info
for an aggressive Gillette you need a vintage old type open comb. Ebay will keep you busy for a while but for a quick find of a good old type try razor emporium.

0 482
 02-28-2020, 02:56 PM
  • bijou
  • Chicago Illinois
User Info
Rynrio is correct, but I will go a little bit further. The Gillette Old Type (single ring) comes in a few styles. If you want to window shop Vintage Gillette Old Types no matter what Old Type your looking at make sure the teeth are straight. Old Types come in 2 flavors 1905 (1904 double ring being the first of the Old Types is very expensive, if you can find one in decent condition). 1905-1919 thin head/top cap, the 1920 - 1928 thick head (I prefer the thin head a little more aggressive closer shave). The Thin head comes in s styles, a fixed handle, and Ball End (3 piece razor). 

The Ball End handle razors are a 3 piece razor, top cap, base plate and handle. I don't care about the Ball End handle (they usually have creaks in them), I replace the Ball End with a better handle that has more weight, length, and dia (SS or Titanium 90 x 13) changing out the handle will give you a better razor and shave. Also, if you should pick up a thin head ball end and want a slightly more aggressive the Old Type the 1918-1919 U.S Amry razor fits that bill. Also one way to make the regular thin head slightly more aggressive is to use a shim with the blade this will emulate the U.S Army razor.

By the way, the Thin Head is a smooth razor and great feedback but you will have to be careful with it (2 very thin pieces of metal holding in a sharp razor), it will bite if your not. I do not like mild razors and I have been using this razor for the last 30 years.

Cost of a good thin head ball end 25 - 45. (Don't worry about the handle, it's the head that matters)

Other razors that are aggressive yet very smooth, RazoRock Jaws and the SS ascension, my blade is Polsilver and Super Iridium

65 822