09-26-2012, 09:34 AM
User Info
I went to Tony's Barbershop in the American Tobacco district in Durham, North Carolina for my first barbershop shave. Tony used a Weck handle and Annie blades instead of the long Personnas. Nice shave. Next time he'll use one of my straights.

On the wall was a picture frame with 5 straights, 2 Roefflers, 1 Frederick Reynolds small wedge with barber's notch and 2 C-Mon's, one a Cadillac, made in Germany and the other a Filarmonica Doble Temple from Spain. The owner was going to give them all to me, because she saw how much I liked them, but I ended up giving her $40 each for the the C-Mon's, still a great deal. Here are photos before I clean them up. Now I've her interested in getting Glen Mercurio to restore the Frederick Reynolds.

Attached Files Image(s)

21 1,476
 09-26-2012, 02:17 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Wow! She was going to give them to you? You must have a nice smile, or she's crazy.

173 23,533
 09-26-2012, 02:25 PM
User Info
(09-26-2012, 02:17 PM)Johnny Wrote: Wow! She was going to give them to you? You must have a nice smile, or she's crazy.
And I went back to take photos of the shop for another thread and another barber was trying to get me to take the rest of them. Joyce backpedaled and stopped him. I should have jumped in this morning when she first offered and said, "Thank you. I will take that offer. You're so nice."

21 1,476
 09-26-2012, 08:27 PM
User Info
Wow, what a great pick-up! Enjoy those razors.

75 20,883
 09-27-2012, 08:30 AM
  • oscar11
  • North Dakota
User Info
Truth of the matter is most barbers are way behind the curve right now with straights, at least in this part of the country. I don't know of a shop where I could get a straight shave. I watched my local barber give a guy a shave with a Bic disposable. The older barbers are pretty happy when someone shows an interest in old straights. When some of the small town shops are sold all the equipment goes with it including the straights, sometimes. I'll bet a lot of barbers under the age of 45 or 50 have never given a straight shave to a customer. The AIDS scare took care of that. I know a local barber that must have a 100 to 150 straight razors, doesn't use them but collects barber shop memorabilia, especially shaving mugs. A lot of his straights are being ate up with cell rot, it's a shame. I know he'd like to sell some but he's scared he'd get taken to the cleaners, he doesn't know what he has. He has a couple of real gems but most are your $25 to $35 workhorse razors.

12 743
 09-27-2012, 08:45 AM
User Info
The barber used a Weck handle with disposeable blade. I am debating letting him use one of my straights to do a real straight razor shave. The owner had learned how to hone and strop and shave in barber school, but doesn't do them now.

Steve, maybe you could educate that barber and help him sell some razors or get them cleaned up. Getting taken to the cleaners fear is a common problem with people not knowing the razor market. I had an unpleasant encounter with an antique/junk store owner who thought she had straights worth untold money, though she had paid little for them and wanted way too much money for common straights, she had claimed were in mint condition.

I shaved with the Cadillac a few minutes ago. I used lapping film last night, 12,9,5,3,1,.3 and CrOx and Diamond slurry, blue jeans, webbed fabric, horsebutt strop and got an excellent edge. My first 2 pass almost BBS shave with a straight.

21 1,476
 09-27-2012, 11:55 AM
  • oscar11
  • North Dakota
User Info
Quote:I shaved with the Cadillac a few minutes ago. I used lapping film last night, 12,9,5,3,1,.3 and CrOx and Diamond slurry, blue jeans, webbed fabric, horsebutt strop and got an excellent edge. My first 2 pass almost BBS shave with a straight.
Good for you Robert. Sounds like your getting the hang of things just fine.

12 743
 09-27-2012, 05:13 PM
User Info
Yes, just so long as it's not a wedge I'm trying to hone. Then I'm lost and I can't get the hang of JNATs or coticules.

21 1,476
 09-27-2012, 06:04 PM
  • GreekGuy
  • Not saving money yet....
  • La Jolla, CA
User Info
(09-27-2012, 05:13 PM)lindyhop66 Wrote: Yes, just so long as it's not a wedge I'm trying to hone. Then I'm lost and I can't get the hang of JNATs or coticules.

If the lapping film works for you then there is no need to reinvent the wheel. You could buy many lifetimes of lapping film for as much as some coticules and JNats cost

9 541
 09-27-2012, 06:27 PM
User Info
Yeah, Nick, but I already bought and/or traded for the JNATs and coticule. They might be useful if I want to hone a wedge...or just use as a finishing touchup stone with water?

But yes, I'm glad I can hone most hollows or small wedges on lapping film, if the edge isn't terribly damaged.

21 1,476
 09-28-2012, 01:50 AM
User Info
A very nice pair of razors Robert, It was certainly your lucky day for sure.

Jamie.

5 1,805
 09-28-2012, 03:19 PM
  • geezer
  • Menomonie, Western WI
User Info
I am happy that you left some for the next guy along. I am fortunate to be able to do that, now, because i know how much a good find felt for me. A single good+ razor unless the person wants, for sure! to get them all a new home. As you found, it can happen.
Congratulations!
~Richard

8 1,190