02-28-2020, 05:25 PM
User Info
Ok, you vintage soap users (myself included), is there a formulation difference between these two Yardley shave soaps? What era are they from? Any information would be appreciated. 
[Image: 5PhG6oT.jpg] [Image: IcBX9h4.jpg]

88 6,477
 03-03-2020, 03:24 AM
User Info
I am surprised there isn't one vintage soap "junkie" who has some knowledge of these two soaps. 

88 6,477
 03-03-2020, 08:21 AM
  • DanLaw
  • Just an old slow fat man
  • Peachtree City, GA
User Info
I am shocked John hasn't penned a long and incredibly informative post with detail down to the chemical bond level - he literally is a living encyclopedia of soaps, scents and brushes

6 737
 03-03-2020, 09:35 AM
User Info
I really don't know much about Yardley soaps except that I liked the true Black Label best for its lathering qualities and because it seemed to lose its fragrance more slowly.  I believe that the soap on the left in the posted image, with the white/red and black label, is exactly the same soap as the one on the right but a later production with an "updated" label for marketing purposes.  Some have claimed that other soaps in wooden bowls labeled "Yardley Shaving Soap" are also Black Label, but I'm not convinced.
[Image: iULnAek.jpg]

250 14,687
 03-03-2020, 10:41 AM
User Info
(03-03-2020, 09:35 AM)churchilllafemme Wrote: I really don't know much about Yardley soaps except that I liked the true Black Label best for its lathering qualities and because it seemed to lose its fragrance more slowly.  I believe that the soap on the left in the posted image, with the white/red and black label, is exactly the same soap as the one on the right but a later production with an "updated" label for marketing purposes.  Some have claimed that other soaps in wooden bowls labeled "Yardley Shaving Soap" are also Black Label, but I'm not convinced.
Thanks, John,
I have owned Black Label and it is definitely a different soap. The suggestion that they are the same with different labels may be correct. There is also a lavender, but that is specifically labeled.

88 6,477
 03-03-2020, 06:57 PM
  • Nero
User Info
I've owned several myself.

My understanding is that they are all English Lavender scent (labels are different according to era), except for the Black Label scent (again, there are different labels/packaging).

As far as soap formula is concerned, I don't know if anyone knows.

98 4,163
 03-04-2020, 10:19 PM
  • Mr_Smartepants
  • Cambridgeshire, UK (CONUS post address)
User Info
I own both and I think they're the same soap, but in different bowls/labels.  I can't tell the difference.
Great lathers though

49 2,172
 03-05-2020, 02:38 PM
User Info
How did you like it Joseph?

Vr

Matt

37 2,326
 03-06-2020, 03:02 AM
  • Mouser
  • Forest City, Florida U.S.A.
User Info
(02-28-2020, 05:25 PM)primotenore Wrote: Ok, you vintage soap users (myself included), is there a formulation difference between these two Yardley shave soaps? What era are they from? Any information would be appreciated. 

I have several Yardleys from each decade. The one at the bottom of your picture is shown in a Yardley Christmas ad from 1939 so we know it's at least that old, 1930's into the 40's. I don't think they changed the look exactly at each decade's end/beginning.  I have a few from that era sealed and boxed. One that's a gift box including a tin of hair brillantine. The top one I also have a few boxed and sealed. I'll have to dig up my notebook where i record everything I can find on each of them but I believe that one is from the 1950's, maybe early 60's.

8 2,857
 03-06-2020, 03:37 AM
User Info
(03-06-2020, 03:02 AM)Mouser Wrote:
(02-28-2020, 05:25 PM)primotenore Wrote: Ok, you vintage soap users (myself included), is there a formulation difference between these two Yardley shave soaps? What era are they from? Any information would be appreciated. 

I have several Yardleys from each decade. The one at the bottom of your picture is shown in a Yardley Christmas ad from 1939 so we know it's at least that old, 1930's into the 40's. I don't think they changed the look exactly at each decade's end/beginning.  I have a few from that era sealed and boxed. One that's a gift box including a tin of hair brillantine. The top one I also have a few boxed and sealed. I'll have to dig up my notebook where i record everything I can find on each of them but I believe that one is from the 1950's, maybe early 60's.
Thank you. I appreciate the information. The Green label is definitely the oldest soap I own...for that matter, ever owned.

88 6,477
 03-06-2020, 03:51 AM
  • Mouser
User Info
(03-03-2020, 09:35 AM)Hchurchilllafemme Wrote: I really don't know much about Yardley soaps except that I liked the true Black Label best for its lathering qualities and because it seemed to lose its fragrance more slowly.  I believe that the soap on the left in the posted image, with the white/red and black label, is exactly the same soap as the one on the right but a later production with an "updated" label for marketing purposes.  Some have claimed that other soaps in wooden bowls labeled "Yardley Shaving Soap" are also Black Label, but I'm not convinced.

I do know a lot about Yardley shaving soaps,  or as much as is available  and John is absolutely right about what he did comment on. All the Yardley a over the years were about the same except for updating the label and bowl.

8 2,857
 03-06-2020, 04:20 AM
User Info
(03-06-2020, 03:51 AM)Mouser Wrote:
(03-03-2020, 09:35 AM)Hchurchilllafemme Wrote: I really don't know much about Yardley soaps except that I liked the true Black Label best for its lathering qualities and because it seemed to lose its fragrance more slowly.  I believe that the soap on the left in the posted image, with the white/red and black label, is exactly the same soap as the one on the right but a later production with an "updated" label for marketing purposes.  Some have claimed that other soaps in wooden bowls labeled "Yardley Shaving Soap" are also Black Label, but I'm not convinced.

I do know a lot about Yardley shaving soaps,  or as much as is available  and John is absolutely right about what he did comment on. All the Yardley a over the years were about the same except for updating the label and bowl.
Has there ever been a list of the ingredients?

88 6,477
 03-06-2020, 05:01 AM
  • Mouser
User Info
(03-06-2020, 04:20 AM)primotenore Wrote:
(03-06-2020, 03:51 AM)Mouser Wrote:

Primo, I don't think so. Yardley shaving soaps came and went before that became a requirement or a thing. I do know the Black Label is  a different formula,  a step up in fragrance too. Whatever the ingredients are I know from the daily shave log I've kept since 2013 that Yardley shaving soaps are the best performing ones I've ever used and I've used many if not most of what's considered top of the line offerings.  It's a difference that becomes apparent over time.

8 2,857
 03-06-2020, 09:42 AM
  • Nero
User Info
I have owned a wooden bowl that was definitely Black Label. Maybe two. Maybe three. Said Black Label right on it.
They were to sacred to use so I have sold all my Yardley off.

98 4,163
 03-06-2020, 12:49 PM
User Info
(03-06-2020, 05:01 AM)Mouser Wrote:
(03-06-2020, 04:20 AM)primotenore Wrote:
(03-06-2020, 03:51 AM)Mouser Wrote: I do know a lot about Yardley shaving soaps,  or as much as is available  and John is absolutely right about what he did comment on. All the Yardley a over the years were about the same except for updating the label and bowl.

Primo, I don't think so. Yardley shaving soaps came and went before that became a requirement or a thing. I do know the Black Label is  a different formula,  a step up in fragrance too. Whatever the ingredients are I know from the daily shave log I've kept since 2013 that Yardley shaving soaps are the best performing ones I've ever used and I've used many if not most of what's considered top of the line offerings.  It's a difference that becomes apparent over time.
Make sense. I have used both the red/black label and the Yardley Black. As good as anything produced today.

88 6,477