03-03-2020, 09:20 AM
User Info
Gents,

I vacillate back and forth between my straights and safety razors.  In my opinion there is just too much fun to be had to be a purist either way. So this morning my 8/8+ FOR BARBERS USE ShaveSmith razor called to me, and it said fix my edge!

[Image: qc17KXx.jpg][Image: M8lD6t1.jpg]

I received it in shave ready condition, and used it a few times...but it had a micro bevel, and I hadn’t taken it through a full progression...I previously just touched it up on my Zulu Gray finisher.  So I started off on my 1k, and took it through to the end without tape.  

[Image: V7JZXfT.jpg]

After my Naniwa 8k, instead of jumping to a finisher, I used the Zulu Gray Silkvein, and what a fantastic natural stone!!!  It has a wonderful pattern that pops when wet, and the slurry is very muddy.  It provides enjoyable feedback, and the natural muddy/dirt scent is present after making the slurry.  I really liked it!

[Image: XrOtAZW.jpg][Image: 1m8JCNy.jpg]

Afterwards I finished on the Zulu Gray for 100+ laps starting off with a slurry, and eventually having it be diluted down to just water.

[Image: d5Xf4wW.jpg]

The resultant edge looks good to me under the loupe, and I will be shave testing it here shortly to see how I did!

[Image: f2QZssj.jpg][Image: Vv4FDRh.jpg]

Vr 

Matt

37 2,326
 03-03-2020, 10:57 AM
User Info
Yes...exactly what I was hoping for...a sharp and smooth shaving edge!  Was it peel your face off...cheek splittin sharp...nope...that doesn’t appeal to me.  I just want a straight that effortlessly glides through hair without any crispy or harsh feeling!  I achieved that here, and I feel like this was time well spent this morning!

Plus I got to use the Zulu Gray Silkvein!

Vr 

Matt

37 2,326
 03-03-2020, 11:25 AM
User Info
Matt, what was your stone between the 1k and 8k?

60 10,600
 03-03-2020, 11:47 AM
User Info
(03-03-2020, 11:25 AM)TheLegalRazor Wrote: Matt, what was your stone between the 1k and 8k?

Hi Ricardo! It’s a Shapton Glass 4K.

Vr

Matt

37 2,326
 03-03-2020, 12:28 PM
User Info
(03-03-2020, 11:47 AM)Ols67 Wrote:
(03-03-2020, 11:25 AM)TheLegalRazor Wrote: Matt, what was your stone between the 1k and 8k?

Hi Ricardo!  It’s a Shapton Glass 4K.

Vr

Matt

Thanks, Matt.  I thought it looked like a Shapton Glass, but couldn't tell for sure from the photo.

I'm glad that progression works for you.  I use 1k, 5k and 8k.

60 10,600
 03-05-2020, 08:24 AM
  • u2u
  • GTA
User Info
(03-03-2020, 10:57 AM)Ols67 Wrote: Yes...exactly what I was hoping for...a sharp and smooth shaving edge!  Was it peel your face off...cheek splittin sharp...nope...that doesn’t appeal to me.  I just want a straight that effortlessly glides through hair without any crispy or harsh feeling!  I achieved that here, and I feel like this was time well spent this morning!

Plus I got to use the Zulu Gray Silkvein!

Vr 

Matt

A perfect summation of what we should all strive for with our hones. Excellent post and photos. May I ask what you create your slurry with? I currently use Naniwa Professionals and Shapton Glass but I sense a veering off towards some naturals... Hope you keep up the great posts.

0 708
 03-05-2020, 10:31 AM
User Info
Hello!  I just used the Nano Hone NL-5 lapping plate at the bottom of the picture.  It works like a charm!  Thanks for the nice words! 

I actually have a set of natural hones that I bought from Michael at Zulu Gray...I need to try the total natural progression one of these days!

Vr 

Matt

37 2,326
 03-05-2020, 01:36 PM
User Info
Looks good to me, next time try skipping the 1K it will go a lot faster not having to get those scratches out. I stopped using a 1K along while back unless the blade needs edge correction.

Try this next time, slurry a 4k with a diamond plate and leave the slurry and wet down with a light spray of water then keep watering down while working the slurry until all slurry is gone then go to your 8k with no slurry then finisher and try finishing with just a hint of slurry on the finisher and strop and shave, for me if the edge needs no correction I can hone a blade in pretty short order doing it this way.

8 1,826
 03-05-2020, 02:48 PM
User Info
(03-05-2020, 01:36 PM)Panther308 Wrote: Looks good to me, next time try skipping the 1K it will go a lot faster not having to get those scratches out. I stopped using a 1K along while back unless the blade needs edge correction.

Try this next time, slurry a 4k with a diamond plate and leave the slurry and wet down with a light spray of water then keep watering down while working the slurry until all slurry is gone then go to your 8k with no slurry then finisher and try finishing with just a hint of slurry on the finisher and strop and shave, for me if the edge needs no correction I can hone a blade in pretty short order doing it this way.

Oh thanks! I will try this exact method to see how it goes, and report back!

Vr

Matt

37 2,326
 03-05-2020, 05:56 PM
User Info
(03-05-2020, 02:48 PM)Ols67 Wrote:
(03-05-2020, 01:36 PM)Panther308 Wrote: Looks good to me, next time try skipping the 1K it will go a lot faster not having to get those scratches out. I stopped using a 1K along while back unless the blade needs edge correction.

Oh thanks!  I will try this exact method to see how it goes, and report back!

Vr

Matt

Matt,

Sounds good, I look forward to hearing how it goes. Even if tape was previously used you can use a slurried 4k and reset/refresh a bevel by just doing a few sets of circles then some regular heal leading X strokes and I use heal leading X’s to work an edge towards a smile.

I actually have even used a slurried 4k then Nakayama Kiita with first a DN slurry then a tomo slurry and the shave was very good, not as keen as I would have like as it was more like a coticule edge but still gave a decent smooth shave and I think if I would have refreshed the slurry a few more times it would have pushed the edge a bit further.

8 1,826
 03-05-2020, 09:23 PM
User Info
Fascinating thread.  Hey, I sharpened my pocket knife yesterday......    You all tempt me to learn how to make a straight sing.

6 567
 03-06-2020, 08:44 AM
User Info
The conventional wisdom is to start with a 1k, so the suggestion to start with a 4k instead is interesting.  I don't have a 4k, but will try it with my 5k.  I'm curious as to how much time I'll have to spend on the 5k, if I have to work through a progressively diluted slurry.

60 10,600
 03-06-2020, 02:08 PM
  • ischiapp
  • Forio d'Ischia, Naples, Italy
User Info
(03-05-2020, 01:36 PM)Panther308 Wrote: I stopped using a 1K along while back unless the blade needs edge correction.
+1

Plus, not having big bevel.

0 2,341
 03-08-2020, 05:50 AM
User Info
(03-06-2020, 02:08 PM)ischiapp Wrote:
(03-05-2020, 01:36 PM)Panther308 Wrote: I stopped using a 1K along while back unless the blade needs edge correction.
+1

Plus, not having big bevel.

The larger visible portion of the bevel near the edge on this particular blade was how it came from the artisan.  It was the esthetic that he was going for, and I think it looks great.  It certainly shaved quite well!

I am the second owner, and when the proprietor of ShaveSmith, Chris, saw that I ended up with it, he took the time to reach out to me.  He congratulated me and said how much he enjoyed seeing his work enjoyed and in SOD pics.  He seems like a very stand up guy.

This is also a near wedge, which I believe usually lends itself to a slightly larger visual portion of the bevel.

Vr 

Matt

37 2,326
 03-08-2020, 05:53 AM
User Info
 05-11-2020, 04:05 PM
User Info
Someday I’ll get the courage to try to learn to used and care for a straight! They are fascinating to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

0 48