09-26-2012, 11:51 AM
  • vferdman
  • Artisan
  • Western Massachusetts
User Info
I have just received my first ever adjustable DE razor. The vintage gold tone Merkur Progress. The previous owner of this razor had the handle break and come loose, so he sent it to Merkur for repair and they no longer had gold handles, so he had them install a normal (nickel or chrome plated?) handle. So, this baby is two tone with gold head and number ring and nickel/chrome handle. Here are the pictures of it.

I shaved with it last night and was simply blown away by the shave. Just incredibly smooth and comfy and so close. I started with a brand new Astra SP and set Progress to 1 for pass one WTG. It was very effective, but I did pass two WTG on 2, which was really good. I did pass three XTG on 3, but had to back off to 2.5 as 3 was a bit rough on the neck. Pass 4 ATG was on 2.5 and some on 3 (for cheeks). Just an amazing shaving tool. The sound of the blade is nothing short of musical and the feedback of the sound is very accurate with what's going on. Sometimes the razor will continue to make sound same as before even though there is much less stubble. Not Progress. The audio feedback is some of the most useful in any razor I have tried before. My only minor gripe about this razor is the handle. I am not crazy about the ridges and valleys along the handle. I prefer a cylindrical shape that does not suggest any particular place to grasp (I tend grasp on the valleys with Progress handle) and lots more knurling is a must. A handle such as the one on a 34C or 37C is one of my favorite designs. Simple and effective. Still, this i a very minor gripe and on a whole I am absolutely delighted with the Progress.

25 1,705
 09-26-2012, 11:53 AM
  • beartrap
  • Resident Цирюльник
  • Southern California
User Info
Good info, thanks!

88 4,233
 09-26-2012, 12:05 PM
  • Arcadies
  • Greeneville, TN
User Info
The two tone looks great! I've never tried the progress and I am trying to keep my razor collection down to sane levels, so I may never end up trying one. Glad to hear you're enjoying yours!

31 1,510
 09-26-2012, 12:09 PM
  • Johan
  • Barberian of the lathering
  • Sweden
User Info
It looks fantastic in two tone.

0 284
 09-26-2012, 12:19 PM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
Merkur did you a favor giving you a two tone razor. It is very unique and you will be the only one who has one. Glad you like the way it shaves. Congratulations and enjoy.

100 12,445
 09-26-2012, 02:05 PM
  • vferdman
  • Artisan
  • Western Massachusetts
User Info
(09-26-2012, 11:53 AM)beartrap Wrote: Good info, thanks!

Progress is thew best razor I have shaved with ever. If you haven't tried it yet, do yourself a favor and give it a try. I assume the modern ones shave the same as the vintage, but the vintage ones do have that something sweet about them.

P.S. I love your avatar. One of my favorite childhood movies was "Иван Васильевич меняет профессию", so seeing that avatar brings back memories.

(09-26-2012, 12:05 PM)Arcadies Wrote: The two tone looks great! I've never tried the progress and I am trying to keep my razor collection down to sane levels, so I may never end up trying one. Glad to hear you're enjoying yours!

Byron, you'll be cheating yourself if you do not try a Progress. It shaves like no other razor in a good way. I would recommend selling some of your collection in favor of this one.

25 1,705
 09-26-2012, 04:21 PM
  • Arcadies
  • Greeneville, TN
User Info
(09-26-2012, 02:05 PM)vferdman Wrote: Byron, you'll be cheating yourself if you do not try a Progress. It shaves like no other razor in a good way. I would recommend selling some of your collection in favor of this one.

Well, I've already sold off most of my collection and narrowed it down to a handful of aggressive razors that give the kind of shave I love. At the head of the pack and my most used razor is a Merkur Futur (I have 2 actually, chrome and satin) which is basically just a more aggressive version of the progress, for the most part anyway..and a hell of a lot bigger. I'm a large guy so I dig that about it, fits me perfectly.

31 1,510
 09-26-2012, 06:17 PM
  • vferdman
  • Artisan
  • Western Massachusetts
User Info
(09-26-2012, 04:21 PM)Arcadies Wrote: Well, I've already sold off most of my collection and narrowed it down to a handful of aggressive razors that give the kind of shave I love. At the head of the pack and my most used razor is a Merkur Futur (I have 2 actually, chrome and satin) which is basically just a more aggressive version of the progress, for the most part anyway..and a hell of a lot bigger. I'm a large guy so I dig that about it, fits me perfectly.

Well, in that case you are all set. I just thought the Progress has a unque head design and sure gives a unique shave. It's not as large ans your Futur, so if you are happy with that then enjoy it.

25 1,705
 09-27-2012, 03:34 AM
  • gijames
  • Mile High Soldier
  • TN, USA
User Info
Welcome to Progress-ive shaving Laughing1

9 1,684
 09-27-2012, 08:04 AM
  • vferdman
  • Artisan
  • Western Massachusetts
User Info
(09-27-2012, 03:34 AM)gijames Wrote: Welcome to Progress-ive shaving Laughing1

Yep, having tough time reaching for another razor now.

[Image: qsttt3.jpg]

25 1,705
 09-28-2012, 06:58 PM
  • Qhead
  • Cleveland, Ohio
User Info
That is really a "sharp" looking razor. Love my long handle Progress. Probably my no.1. Just let the weight of the head do the work!

15 185
 10-03-2012, 08:45 AM
  • vferdman
  • Artisan
  • Western Massachusetts
User Info
This is my second week with my new-to-me vintage Merkur Progress and I am continuing to get better shaves with it every time. Some little aspect of the shave improves. Irritation on my neck is going way down and today is pretty much not there. Closeness of the shave on the neck is also improving somehow. My cheeks and under the jaw are usually good with most razors, but the neck is just a big problem. It either bleeds or is not closely shaved or both. Plus irritation and redness. However, with using the Progress and for the last four shaves a 7 O'clock sharp edge (yellow) everything has started to go back to normal as far as my epidermis health. And the shaves are closer every time. I am pretty much guaranteed a BBS without nicks or cuts now. I think Astra SP, which was the first blade I tried in the Progress was not as efficient and the sharp edge is definitely a sharper blade. My next blade to try in the Progress is Super Max SP, which has become my go-to blade as of late. Then I think I am going for Feather. Seems Progress really becomes that much better with a sharper blade.

So, are there Progress lovers out there or am I just alone in thinking this is one of the very best razors out there? I think it's the head design. Maybe the deep channels behind the edge? The sound it makes is simply amazing and very indicative of what's left as far as stubble. No sound beans BBS every time. Please share you Progress experience and whether or not it has put an end to your RAD. I think I am getting the anti-RAD. I want to sell off my razors and get another Progress for backup.

25 1,705
 10-03-2012, 09:03 AM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
Another Progress lover here and I have to use it more.

I had a Gold Progress (under Hoffritz) which is now in Vancouver with our friend Celestino and it was a very nice razor.I also have the current one , which was a present from my father (I gave him a Futur...Biggrin)

For me , the Progress is a much better razor than the Futur and also , its as good as the 34 C HD , which is another of my favorites.

Is also Mantic59 fav razor , for what I understand.So , there must be something great about this razor!Biggrin

86 7,123
 10-03-2012, 09:04 AM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
I truly like the looks of that razor,my friend.Enjoy it as youre doing it!

86 7,123
 10-03-2012, 09:07 AM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
The Progress is one of the best adjustable razors ever produced. Its been around a long time and loved by many people. One of the keys to getting that bbs is which blades work the best. At the present I am really liking the Polsiver Super Iridiums, Gillette Super Thin, Gillette 7 O'Clock black wrappers and the trusty Personna Hospital blades (made in USA). You did very well for yourself. That is a beautiful and functional razor you got.

100 12,445
 10-03-2012, 11:59 AM
User Info
I just took my modified Progress out for it's first spin yesterday and I got a really nice two pass shave. The razor is quite heavy compared to what I've been using and the angle of attack is different as well. I used a new Feather blade and it seemed to work out just fine.

0 74
 10-03-2012, 12:13 PM
  • vferdman
  • Artisan
  • Western Massachusetts
User Info
(10-03-2012, 11:59 AM)cdhumiston Wrote: I just took my modified Progress out for it's first spin yesterday and I got a really nice two pass shave. The razor is quite heavy compared to what I've been using and the angle of attack is different as well. I used a new Feather blade and it seemed to work out just fine.

How is your Progress modified? Some pictures would be nice. Enjoy it!

25 1,705
 10-03-2012, 12:17 PM
User Info
(10-03-2012, 12:13 PM)vferdman Wrote: How is your Progress modified? Some pictures would be nice. Enjoy it!

It's a Bob's Razor Works Bull Mastiff modification. Basically the entire handle and adjustment knob is replaced. Here's a picture:

Attached Files Image(s)

0 74
 10-03-2012, 04:17 PM
  • vferdman
  • Artisan
  • Western Massachusetts
User Info
(10-03-2012, 12:17 PM)cdhumiston Wrote: It's a Bob's Razor Works Bull Mastiff modification. Basically the entire handle and adjustment knob is replaced. Here's a picture:

DROOL! That's beautiful! Where did you get that?

25 1,705
 10-03-2012, 09:43 PM
User Info
(10-03-2012, 12:17 PM)cdhumiston Wrote:
(10-03-2012, 12:13 PM)vferdman Wrote: How is your Progress modified? Some pictures would be nice. Enjoy it!

It's a Bob's Razor Works Bull Mastiff modification. Basically the entire handle and adjustment knob is replaced. Here's a picture:

Hey, Chris. Just before Bob died, he made me a Bull Mastiff Progress identical to yours. We were the lucky ones.

Enjoy it.

9 1,199