03-08-2020, 02:12 PM
User Info
Gents,

Anyone doing anything unique to prepare for the coming pandemic?

Vr

Matt

36 2,326
 03-08-2020, 02:48 PM
  • Smudge
  • Hertfordshire UK
User Info
I have lots of concerns about coronavirus, but unless I have to self-isolate for a decade I will be fine for shaving gear. AD might turn out to be a good thing.

0 35
 03-08-2020, 03:19 PM
User Info
(03-08-2020, 02:48 PM)Smudge Wrote: I have lots of concerns about coronavirus, but unless I have to self-isolate for a decade I will be fine for shaving gear. AD might turn out to be a good thing.

Ha! Yes...one less thing to worry about. I can shave and start fire indefinitely!

Vr

Matt

36 2,326
 03-08-2020, 05:26 PM
User Info
Don't know what others are doing but the folks in my neck of the woods seem to think having several cases of toilet paper somehow will keep you safe.  Hahahaha.  I am not too concerned given the info we have currently.  Got several family members in the med profession and they tell me that common practice of washing hands, cleaning surfaces, and staying home if ill looks to be the ticket.  It's obvious that it'll spread and perhaps down the line my concern will change but for now, common sense and soap will be my approach (but if I can get my hands on 59 cases of toilet tissue I'm sure I'll get through it!)

6 567
 03-08-2020, 10:14 PM
  • Mr_Smartepants
  • Cambridgeshire, UK (CONUS post address)
User Info
 03-09-2020, 05:16 AM
User Info
(03-08-2020, 05:26 PM)Lipripper60 Wrote:   I am not too concerned given the info we have currently.  Got several family members in the med profession and they tell me that common practice of washing hands, cleaning surfaces, and staying home if ill looks to be the ticket.  It's obvious that it'll spread and perhaps down the line my concern will change but for now, common sense and soap will be my approach (but if I can get my hands on 59 cases of toilet tissue I'm sure I'll get through it!)

So is it any wonder these diseases spread so rapidly in China? I watched a show years ago. It showed the restaurant and the cooks leaving to go to the bathroom. The toilet consisted of a hole in the ground, and since not everyone aim was good there was a crusty deposit all around. There was no way to wipe, and no soap and water for hand washing. After the cook got done they used the same entrance as everyone else at the front, and went into the back and continued cooking. This was in Peking and not some town forgotten by time. That is a great example of what not to do.

The quote is pretty much the way I look at it also. Prevention is like preventing the cold or the flu. Masks for prevention? Forget about that unless you're infected. Virus' get right through them, but if infected it will stop particles of mucous, snot, and of course hinder ones booger picking out of the snot locker. So if masks are purchased they are in case you get sick and not before that and for the sake of the uninfected. Yes, one may need to actually think of others (more on this in a bit). Be sure you don't buy masks with the easy exhale valve, they're totally useless for someone infected. Which brings up this issue... if you're infected what are you doing out of self quarantine? If you need something dial the phone and get it delivered and have it left outside your door.

And for Gods sake, don't be like those idiots I see on TV walking around with masks on, but wearing them completely uselessly. Most masks worth wearing have an aluminum strip that runs across the bridge of the nose. Take 2 fingers and bend those strips against the nose to get a seal. If they are left unbent the mask is just to virtue signal how much one cares while in reality doing absolutely nothing.

I bought a gallon of quat' disinfectant and plan to buy a gallon of bleach. If we need to shelter in place for a month until it blows over we can do that easily. Heck, we're New Englanders and expect to shelter in place due to weather a few times a winter, warm weather is coming so this is a piece of cake. My biggest concern will be contacting others and I give thanks that unlike many people we don't live our lives in a hive but rurally. Leave packages alone for a time to allow the virus' to die from the hands and exhalations of others. Handling money and credit cards is a problem. Don't put hands near the face and when getting home hit the $ with disinfectant. Of course this assumes that the virus attains a level where contact with it is common but we're not there yet so don't panic. No reported cases in Maine as of this AM. The closest are in NH where one moron was told to self quarantine, instead went to a social event, and now there are 2 folks who have it and how many others now need to self quarantine? Thank you very much! I expect that sort of "Yay me" and eff you!" to be the same after the SHTF as before. I don't expect humanity to change. FWIW, this was some sort of medical "professional" who infected others with a self centered disregard for others. So you need the means to keep people away if it comes to that. Force people into quarantine and enforce it? Maybe; it does have a 4% mortality rate and who wants to take the risk? But we're not even close to those steps yet.

Plenty of shaving supplies on hand so I'll be well groomed.

32 6,605
 03-09-2020, 12:09 PM
User Info
OK, I'm in my Golden Years, and so I am in one of the higher-risk populations for the virus.  And my somewhat younger wife now insists that when we run errands, such as going to the grocery store, bank, or libraries, I just sit in the car and listen to the radio while she goes inside and does whatever business needs to be done.  I do appreciate her love and concern, but I don't like being coddled or having my activities restricted so much.  What's next, I wonder... Oh no: is she going to start cutting up my meat for me?  Or - the real nightmare - shaving me?

249 14,592
 03-09-2020, 12:39 PM
User Info
I'm in a high risk category too John, but the flu is far more likely and it kills us too. But anyway, my brothers are even older. One wants to come up for the 4th of July this year and his kids won't let him drive. Instead he's going to be chauffeured the 500 miles. Not a bad deal actually. He'll get to rubberneck the entire way. The driver never gets to do that.

Clearly his kids don't know that when one gets tired that a motel can be found for the rest of the day and night, then next day drive until tired again and do a motel again. One just works around age. Biggrin But it's OK for their dad to drive from his home to their home a few hundred miles away. Oh well. It's nice to know they're concerned for him anyway.

32 6,605
 03-09-2020, 02:21 PM
  • RyznRio
  • Connecticut
User Info
Just be ready 6 months from now when all the excitement around Corona-19 has settled.

Yard sales of toilet paper, shampoo and conditioner etc... will be going on everywhere and supplies will go at bargain bin prices once people realize they have 10 years worth of toilet paper, shampoo and conditioner etc.

uhh shaving supplies excluded from these sales of course.  Winky

0 482
 03-09-2020, 02:25 PM
  • RyznRio
  • Connecticut
User Info
(03-08-2020, 10:14 PM)Mr_Smartepants Wrote: [Image: 88438147_2878151992230353_52908810484213...e=5E91DC3A]

Signs011  Did I say that out loud?

0 482
 03-09-2020, 04:46 PM
User Info
Yes, washing hands with soap is essential. Stop watching wet shave videos, look for a video how to wash hands as a surgeon does.
Professionals get a training for that. Have at least a look at how to.
Wash with soap at least 30seconds. Control with a watch. 30 seconds are a damn long time with such a boring procedure.

Yes, do avoid touching your face. Do avoid putting fingers in your mouth.

Face masks: use FFP2 or FFP3 masks.
[Image: 0Wuja2G.jpg]

0 501
 03-09-2020, 05:02 PM
User Info
Avoid close contact. Avoid shaking hands.
Avoid masses of people.

The R0 number is twice as high as with flu.
This means the number of people one infected person will infect. This means an exponentially higher growth.

The mortality rate is between 2 - 4 %. Much higher than with influenza (0.something, depending on which kind of flu).
I am afraid closer to 4 %.
Have a look at the daily rising Italian numbers and start worrying. 

You already have it in the US.

Germany had some 1100 positive tests, US has some 600.
Of those died: Germany 2, US 22.

How come?

Pretty simple. US doesn’t do tests enough.
You can read in European press that obviously this government wants to keep official numbers low not to look bad. Oh my.

Meanwhile in Italy health care system is breaking down in areas most affected.
Some 5-10 % need intensive care ... with the special needs for personnel handling highly infectious patients.
5 % need a respirator.
This can make any country’s health care system collapse.

Italy makes people stay at home if necessary.
US? How many US citizens have paid sick leave? This ... will make things even faster.

[Image: O8pG8A7.jpg]

0 501
 03-09-2020, 07:37 PM
User Info
Numbers have been politicized, no question, but they are all over the place! 
Using some of apogee's reference countries, France and German have similar number of infected people with 19 and 2 deaths respectively. 
Japan 511 infected and 17 deaths while the US 738 infected and 22 deaths. 
Switzerland has the same number of deaths with a third number of infected people with respect to Germany. 
I guess we need more context to go with the data.

9 1,611
 03-09-2020, 10:19 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
I survived the smallpox, polio, measles, mumps, HIV, and to many other to remember.  If I get it, I get it.  If I don't, I don't.  And, if I run out of toilet paper, I have a collection of old Sears catalogs I can use.

187 26,222
 03-10-2020, 01:58 AM
User Info
Agreed, loydrm, more context and more data is needed.

But...

We have countries with a lot of positive tests and low death rates.
Other countries with much higher death rates have these because of

- mediocre intensive care?
I do doubt that in all mentioned cases, France, Japan, US. They all are capable of the very best intensive care.

- their citizens don’t have access to decent intensive care?
French and Japanese health care systems are both mandatory. Japanese life expectancy is the highest in OECD.
I don’t think this is the reason here.
US? Well, I think we all know. Unpaid medical bills are the most frequent reason for private bankruptcies in US. Having no health care insurance is not a rare phenomenon. The reasons behind are worth another depressing discussion.
A not uncommon lack of access to decent health care certainly doesn’t help your corona virus numbers.

I do not have the numbers of tests made in all these countries.

But I do think that a low number of positive tests combined with a high number of fatalities is most probably caused by having made too few tests.

I am seriously concerned that all this will be very ugly. Worldwide.

0 501
 03-10-2020, 02:15 AM
User Info
(03-09-2020, 10:19 PM)Johnny Wrote: I survived the smallpox, polio, measles, mumps, HIV, and to many other to remember.  If I get it, I get it.  If I don't, I don't.  And, if I run out of toilet paper, I have a collection of old Sears catalogs I can use.

Johnny is your real name Chuck Norris? Biggrin 

Joking aside ... Schools here are closed from today ... (No deaths, 40 infected here) . To put things to another perspective see bellow. I know datas aren´t fresh but mortality wise are interesting.

[Image: GCONVMd.jpg]

16 744
 03-10-2020, 04:16 AM
User Info
This virus comparison isn’t helpful.
Add contagiousness to your list. Low contagiousness helped to keep fatalities of really awful viruses low.

Corona is highly contagious.
Children, while showing no symptoms, can infect others.
Then, a mortality rate of closer to 3 or 4 % make a pretty gloomy picture.

0 501
 03-10-2020, 04:18 AM
User Info
Back to topic?

No need to add more wet shave nonsense to this bathroom. Enough for years to come.

I’m much more worried about the supply of Italian wines!

[Image: EPZevGL.jpg]

0 501
 03-10-2020, 04:48 PM
User Info
Don’t forget this...

[Image: qP08z9g.jpg][Image: FJdskM4.jpg]

36 2,326
 03-10-2020, 07:01 PM
User Info
Not worried.  I have always been a hand washer.  I'm pretty healthy (along with everyone in my house).  My wife has a friend who is buying up all the bottled water she can.  She was at a loss when I asked her how the COVID-19 virus was going to effect her water flow in her home.  Folks like to panic.  I have other things to worry about.

2 131