03-10-2020, 09:18 PM
User Info
Can you please share your experience? I’ve ordered these brushes and I wanna know if there’s anybody out there who uses these on a regular basis-and what the impression is

7 395
 03-12-2020, 07:09 AM
  • chazt
  • Queens, NY
User Info
(03-10-2020, 09:18 PM)inspectoring Wrote: Can you please share your experience? I’ve ordered these brushes and I wanna know if there’s anybody out there who uses these on a regular basis-and what the impression is

Is your question related to the handle or the hair?

15 4,062
 03-12-2020, 11:36 AM
User Info
(03-12-2020, 07:09 AM)chazt Wrote:
(03-10-2020, 09:18 PM)inspectoring Wrote: Can you please share your experience? I’ve ordered these brushes and I wanna know if there’s anybody out there who uses these on a regular basis-and what the impression is

Actually both - especially handle
Is there anyone using this on a daily basis for face lathering?
I can imagine it gets a little floppy -
I do love my ch3 in super but can’t recall what best feels like- ty

7 395
 03-12-2020, 07:23 PM
  • chazt
  • Queens, NY
User Info
(03-12-2020, 11:36 AM)inspectoring Wrote:
(03-12-2020, 07:09 AM)chazt Wrote:

Actually both - especially handle
Is there anyone using this on a daily basis for face lathering?
I can imagine it gets a little floppy -
I do love my ch3 in super but can’t recall what best feels like- ty

Wow, I thought you’d get a ton of responses...

This is my Simpson frame of reference. First though, I do not and have not owned any Polo. However I do own and use the following. CH3 in Best, two CH2 Super (one of which the knot has been transplanted into a custom Bob Quinn handle), CH1 Best, 59 Best, 58 Best and KH3 Best. As an aside, while I still have the handle of a D3 Best, the original knot has long been replaced with a Shavemac 2 Band by Rudy Vey. That original Best knot was Sandpaper City!

Obviously, the densest and backboniest of all is the Chubby 3. This Best knot is gray box, made in England. The tips are as soft as the two later model CH2 Supers. The Chubby 2s, perhaps by their nature of thinner hair shafts, while theoretically as dense as the CH3, they don’t quite feel as backbony. Does that mean “floppier?” I don’t necessarily think so. The Chubby 1 Best is also a Made in England brush. My impression is that the diameter to loft ratio is somehow different than the larger Chubbies. I don’t know this for sure, it’s simply an anecdotal impression. The CH1 has nary a hint of scritch while being delightfully scrubby. While it’s quite a small handle, it’s on some level more comfortable for me than the CH2 because I grip them differently.

The 59 Best is also Made in England. The handle is beastly; thick, wide, heavy and tall. It is quite dense, but not Chubby dense. It’s a near perfect combined density and backbone, with a gentle but present scrub. The 58 is Made in Great Britain. Despite my limited experience with many Simpson styles, it is unquestionably my favorite Simpson handle re: ergonomics. The knot doesn’t feel as dense as the 59. The 58 seems to have softer tips than does the 59.

Finally, the Keyhole 3. Seems less dense than the 58. It is floppier. Soft tips with just a vague hint of very mild scritch and scrub. The handle is of comfortable size, but the flat bottom base occasionally presents a less comfortable grip. I dig the look of it, though. Also, the knot has a golden hue which I find quite appealing.

Hope this helps...

15 4,062
 03-13-2020, 05:59 AM
User Info
If you find a good 3-Band best, it should be similar to the Super 3-Band knot, except in density, which the latter has quite a bit more.
However, the face feel of the knot would be very similar and you, probably, would not be able to distinguish between the two. 
I found the handles a bit awkward in hand, especially, the base. They are quite long and large, so if you have smaller hands, they may not suit you. 
Good luck.

92 21,311