03-14-2020, 06:46 AM
  • BSWoodturning
  • Co-Owner, Brad Sears ShaveWorks
  • Maryland Eastern Shore
User Info
Gentlemen,

We periodically receive requests to make various types of custom shaving brushes.  Most of these requests sound reasonable on the surface--and I wish we could accommodate them--because creating a new custom design can be an invigorating experience.  The problem is... [Read more] 

[Image: Ci9BkNA.jpg]

4 1,064
 03-14-2020, 09:33 AM
User Info
Custom work is fun but seldom profitable.  too many variables.  Too much "learning curve".  I tip my hat to you sir for your educational post as to the reasons why customs are seldom offered.  Esthetically pleasing results are the culmination of a whole bunch of hard-earned experience that seldom translates into the customer request.

6 567
 03-14-2020, 11:50 AM
  • SCOV
  • Minnesota
User Info
Custom brushes:

Buyer:  feel free to add 10% to normal cost, can I get it Tuesday, I am almost positive I will like the brush

Artisan: needs 300% over normal cost, needs extra time for drawings & setup, attends local house of worship before production starts

17 967
 03-15-2020, 11:09 AM
  • BSWoodturning
  • Co-Owner, Brad Sears ShaveWorks
  • Maryland Eastern Shore
User Info
I appreciate your kind words, gentlemen!  We believe we've hit a reasonable compromise by offering custom options/modifications to our 30+ existing patterns.  (Interestingly, several of our "Bi-Colour" handles have come about as a result.  And the Rosebud (pictured below) was inspired while I was turning a Bi-Colour L7--another handle that started life as a custom request.  A happy consequence. )

[Image: gpZuK6Y.jpg]

4 1,064