03-16-2020, 06:28 AM
User Info
Hey guys,

If you had to explain to a teenager who just started shaving, what aftershave actually is, what would you say? I came across an interesting article on this.  Any thoughts?

The article says that aftershave has "antiseptic properties like alcohol and witch hazel." - but doesn't cologne have alcohol too? How come we can't use cologne instead of aftershave?

Kevin

0 1
 03-16-2020, 07:04 AM
User Info
imho
Literally - aftershave is what you put on after shaving, so it depends.
Some colognes are too strong scented to use as an aftershave.
Some people use water only.
Some people use rose water.
Some use alum blocks.
Some use aftershave splash.
Some use aftershave lotion.
Some use aftershave balm.
I'm sure there are other aftershaves.
ymmv

63 1,716
 03-16-2020, 07:05 AM
  • ischiapp
  • Forio d'Ischia, Naples, Italy
User Info
(03-16-2020, 06:28 AM)kevinpeters Wrote: what aftershave actually is, what would you say?
Hi Kevin
In history, aftershave are lotions that dilutes an EDC and adds glycerin.
In fact, those who do not have skin problems can use an EDC vapo.

Over the years, various formulations have been created, increasingly rich in botanical components until you no longer have alcohol.
These are the tonics, excellent aftershaves for those with particularly delicate skin.

For those with dry or reactive skin, there are balms.
In practice, liquid creams that have soothing and nourishing functions.

There would also be other more exotic types, but they are little used and not very useful for this discussion.

0 1,979
 03-16-2020, 08:17 AM
  • DanLaw
  • Just an old slow fat man
  • Peachtree City, GA
User Info
Aftershave is that gorgeous but tiny woman in university that was ahead of you on the cascading fraternity house staircase that spun around on her stiletto heels and slapped you silly almost knocking you out because your pervert football teammate had copped a feel and now was rolling on the floor laughing because she hit you harder than any football player had ever managed to...haha.... True story.

5 568
 03-16-2020, 09:13 AM
User Info
Aftershave is for you.
Cologne is for others to appreciate.

0 63
 03-16-2020, 05:14 PM
  • chazt
  • Queens, NY
User Info
(03-16-2020, 09:13 AM)PATRIOT Wrote: Aftershave is for you.

Except when dining out. Many, including myself and my wife as well, find it offensive when men and/or women splash it on heavy when going to eat. It ruins the dining experience for everyone in proximity.

15 4,045
 03-17-2020, 07:04 AM
User Info
(03-16-2020, 05:14 PM)chazt Wrote:
(03-16-2020, 09:13 AM)PATRIOT Wrote: Aftershave is for you.

Except when dining out. Many, including myself and my wife as well, find it offensive when men and/or women splash it on heavy when going to eat. It ruins the dining experience for everyone in proximity.

Elevator, bus and subway rides get interesting too.

63 1,716