03-18-2020, 06:00 PM
  • chazt
  • Queens, NY
User Info
...modern DE razors.

I’ve settled on and am partial to two Asylum Evolutions, a black oxide and a brass XL that I had plated in nickel; two sb Game Changers, a .68 and a .84; an iKon B1OSS; and my most recent acquisition, a stainless steel RR Lupo with DLC coating.

I’m fortunate to own a number of vintage razors but other than a couple of Techs, a Red Tip and the occasional Schick injector, most of the oldies are now just so much eye candy.

What about you guys? Generally speaking, what do you use for your consistently best shaves? Not the “best or most expensive or most unobtanium” razor but “best shaves.” There is no right or wrong here. Only opinions.

19 4,550
 03-18-2020, 06:41 PM
User Info
For an everyday tool, I’d have to say my brass Karve CB with a C plate and my RR GC .68.  Very close second has to be the Occam’s Razor with the No 2 plate.  I love everything about the Karve, except that I’m waiting for 3 new plates.  I guess they’re backlogged.

But if I have more than 1 days growth, can’t beat the brass Blackbird.  I just got a Timeless bronze .78 OC and I can’t wait to try it.
I did get a very (unexpectedly) amazing shave with a vintage Eveready with a GEM blade the other day.  My virgin shave with that was very un-irritating.

4 223
 03-18-2020, 06:55 PM
User Info
(03-18-2020, 06:00 PM)chazt Wrote: ...modern DE razors.

I’ve settled on and am partial to two Asylum Evolutions, a black oxide and a brass XL that I had plated in nickel; two sb Game Changers, a .68 and a .84; an iKon B1OSS; and my most recent acquisition, a stainless steel RR Lupo with DLC coating.

I’m fortunate to own a number of vintage razors but other than a couple of Techs, a Red Tip and the occasional Schick injector, most of the oldies are now just so much eye candy.

What about you guys? Generally speaking, what do you use for your consistently best shaves? Not the “best or most expensive or most unobtanium” razor but “best shaves.” There is no right or wrong here. Only opinions.

BBS-1-
I hate that it is unobtainium as I would prefer if more people could shave with it. I'm sure many would like it but yes, I've shaved with it for 6 years and it's pretty much what gives me the smoothest shave with a pretty high level of efficiency. I was hoping to find a razor as a backup so that if I ever lose the BBS-1, I have something that is suitable and I don't feel like I have to chase down another BBS-1. I was thinking that getting a Carbon may fill that need but actually I'm going to try out the new FOCUS DEs coming out soon.

I like your title though. I think when you're new in your wet shaving experience, you think that there is always a need for a "better" shave. Maybe I have found that I try to limit my rotation of gear leads to more consistent results. Ultimately, a close shave that comes with irritation is not successful in my book.

87 1,801
 03-18-2020, 07:12 PM
  • chazt
  • Queens, NY
User Info
(03-18-2020, 06:41 PM)PATRIOT Wrote: For an everyday tool, I’d have to say my brass Karve CB with a C plate and my RR GC .68.  Very close second has to be the Occam’s Razor with the No 2 plate.  I love everything about the Karve, except that I’m waiting for 3 new plates.  I guess they’re backlogged.

But if I have more than 1 days growth, can’t beat the brass Blackbird.  I just got a Timeless bronze .78 OC and I can’t wait to try it.
I did get a very (unexpectedly) amazing shave with a vintage Eveready with a GEM blade the other day.  My virgin shave with that was very un-irritating.

I really tried to like those old Gems. They look so damn good! I was infatuated with them for a couple of years. Must have bought at least two dozen different razors. I don’t know - I just never achieved consistently good shaves with any of them. Clearly it was my technique. Or the blade. Or maybe it was my face, I don’t know... still have a couple left. I don’t use them. Just like to look at them Biggrin

19 4,550
 03-18-2020, 07:15 PM
  • chazt
  • Queens, NY
User Info
(03-18-2020, 06:55 PM)zaclikestoshave Wrote: BBS-1-
I hate that it is unobtainium as I would prefer if more people could shave with it. I'm sure many would like it but yes, I've shaved with it for 6 years and it's pretty much what gives me the smoothest shave with a pretty high level of efficiency. I was hoping to find a razor as a backup so that if I ever lose the BBS-1, I have something that is suitable and I don't feel like I have to chase down another BBS-1. I was thinking that getting a Carbon may fill that need but actually I'm going to try out the new FOCUS DEs coming out soon.

I like your title though. I think when you're new in your wet shaving experience, you think that there is always a need for a "better" shave. Maybe I have found that I try to limit my rotation of gear leads to more consistent results. Ultimately, a close shave that comes with irritation is not successful in my book.

Exactly.

19 4,550
 03-18-2020, 07:57 PM
User Info
(03-18-2020, 07:12 PM)chazt Wrote:
(03-18-2020, 06:41 PM)PATRIOT Wrote: For an everyday tool, I’d have to say my brass Karve CB with a C plate and my RR GC .68.  Very close second has to be the Occam’s Razor with the No 2 plate.  I love everything about the Karve, except that I’m waiting for 3 new plates.  I guess they’re backlogged.

I really tried to like those old Gems. They look so damn good! I was infatuated with them for a couple of years. Must have bought at least two dozen different razors. I don’t know - I just never achieved consistently good shaves with any of them. Clearly it was my technique. Or the blade. Or maybe it was my face, I don’t know... still have a couple left. I don’t use them. Just like to look at them Biggrin
The razor that I have is an Eveready.  I did have a nice GEM junior but it was just not for me.  Found this eveready with the shiny box...stuffed a GEM blade in it...WOW.  Now I’m compelled to look at other modern SE razors...damn!
[Image: g7RVZAJ.jpg]
[Image: D2pPm4U.jpg]

4 223
 03-20-2020, 02:15 AM
  • Mouser
  • Forest City, Florida U.S.A.
User Info
If the subject is razors, vintage.  Modern razors ( which I was more drawn to when I first started  indeed were a big reason I migrated to wet shaving,)  that get equal results, as smooth as close, cost significantly more. And even then were subject to the occasional lemon. Then my brother dug up a few " heritage " razors of my father's and grandfather's and I went full on.

8 2,844
 03-20-2020, 05:29 AM
  • chazt
  • Queens, NY
User Info
(03-20-2020, 02:15 AM)Mouser Wrote: If the subject is razors, vintage.  Modern razors ( which I was more drawn to when I first started  indeed were a big reason I migrated to wet shaving,  that get equal results, as smooth as close, cost significantly more. And even then were subject to the occasional lemon. Then my brother dug up a few " heritage " razors of my father's and grandfather's and I went full on.

I started traditional wet shaving with a Merkur and quickly discovered old Techs. Then Red Tips. Then GEMs. At that time I’d read more than once on this very forum about “blade chatter” with the old DE razors. At the time I was inexperienced and unaware of the phenomenon. Then I bought a bunch of modern DEs, aluminum and stainless steel. It was only then that I began to understand what folks meant by chatter. The blade doesn’t actually chatter like one’s teeth might when one is feeling chilled to the bone. Rather, it seems to have more flex in the cutting edge. Maybe the heavier weight/construction of modern razors holds the flimsy DE blades more rigidly than the thinner (and less dense?) materials used in vintage razors. I’m not an engineer, so I really don’t know. It’s all conjecture on my part. But back to point, after experiencing a goodly number of modern SS and aluminum razors (none btw north of 185) I then understood the whats and whys behind people’s comments re the dreaded chatter.

That said, I generally get equally fine shaves with both vintage and modern DE razors. It’s the consistency of ease of use, less focus on strict technique, and number of passes/touchups that prompted the title of the thread with the word consistently. For me and my technique, modern stainless steel razors provide me with more consistent control over resulting shave quality.

Still, I do enjoy using my collection of Techs and Red Tips. They work just fine, just differently. I really appreciate their vintage look, and still when using them, I like to think about the man/men who owned that particular razor before it came to me. Who was that person? Was he kind or a schmuck? Was he a good husband and father? What did he do for a living? FWIW, answers to those questions are never forthcoming. The previous owners never channel themselves through the razors. That would make for an interesting sci-fi short, don’t you think?

Just curious. Do you rotate through most/many of your vintage razors?

19 4,550
 03-20-2020, 05:53 AM
  • DanLaw
  • Just an old slow fat man
  • Peachtree City, GA
User Info
From my extensive experimentation seeking the ultimate irritation free bbs, have found no safety razors better than Wolfman WR1 in 0,54DC-0,67DC paired with a corked Timor blade migrating up a level every 2 shaves.  Second best is a BBS1.  Third the new H&S 17-4 with a Nacet, a very close fouth the Tatara Nodachi with an Astra SP and fifth the Timeless 0,95 with a Polsilver  But a straight razor is superiour even if taking an hour between honing stropping&c&c&c plus the risk of pulling a van Gogh....

Update: Trialed the H&S N075 Al Basekote Hybrid - if being honest, despite loving Wolfman, this IS the new standard for smooth yet efficient shave - it is smoother yet more efficient than a WR2 in 0,95 or 1,05 and also the One Blade Genesis.  If one can dispense with unobtainium snobbery, this thing is king.  For those with all SS N075, you MUST try the Al Basekote baseplate!

6 711
 03-20-2020, 11:16 AM
  • Mouser
  • Forest City, Florida U.S.A.
User Info
(03-20-2020, 05:29 AM)chazt Wrote:
(03-20-2020, 02:15 AM)Mouser Wrote: If the subject is razors, vintage.  Modern razors ( which I was more drawn to when I first started  indeed were a big reason I migrated to wet shaving,  that get equal results, as smooth as close, cost significantly more. And even then were subject to the occasional lemon. Then my brother dug up a few " heritage " razors of my father's and grandfather's and I went full on.

I started traditional wet shaving with a Merkur and quickly discovered old Techs. Then Red Tips. Then GEMs. At that time I’d read more than once on this very forum about “blade chatter” with the old DE razors. At the time I was inexperienced and unaware of the phenomenon. Then I bought a bunch of modern DEs, aluminum and stainless steel. It was only then that I began to understand what folks meant by chatter. The blade doesn’t actually chatter like one’s teeth might when one is feeling chilled to the bone. Rather, it seems to have more flex in the cutting edge. Maybe the heavier weight/construction of modern razors holds the flimsy DE blades more rigidly than the thinner (and less dense?) materials used in vintage razors. I’m not an engineer, so I really don’t know. It’s all conjecture on my part. But back to point, after experiencing a goodly number of modern SS and aluminum razors (none btw north of 185) I then understood the whats and whys behind people’s comments re the dreaded chatter.

That said, I generally get equally fine shaves with both vintage and modern DE razors. It’s the consistency of ease of use, less focus on strict technique, and number of passes/touchups that prompted the title of the thread with the word consistently. For me and my technique, modern stainless steel razors provide me with more consistent control over resulting shave quality.

Still, I do enjoy using my collection of Techs and Red Tips. They work just fine, just differently. I really appreciate their vintage look, and still when using them, I like to think about the man/men who owned that particular razor before it came to me. Who was that person? Was he kind or a schmuck? Was he a good husband and father? What did he do for a living? FWIW, answers to those questions are never forthcoming. The previous owners never channel themselves through the razors. That would make for an interesting sci-fi short, don’t you think?

Just curious. Do you rotate through most/many of your vintage razors?
Heavier weight/construction of modern razors?
I may be mis remembering,  it has been years, but except for a 1960s era Krona of my fathers all of my vintage Gillettes are nickel plated brass. Noticeably heavier than my modern ones.

8 2,844
 03-20-2020, 06:18 PM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
  • 44.4899° south of the North Pole
User Info
(03-18-2020, 06:55 PM)zaclikestoshave Wrote: I like your title though. I think when you're new in your wet shaving experience, you think that there is always a need for a "better" shave. Maybe I have found that I try to limit my rotation of gear leads to more consistent results. Ultimately, a close shave that comes with irritation is not successful in my book.

My daily driver —  less determined by rational analysis, and more determined by what I just naturally choose to reach for when the shave is on the line — is a Feather AS-D2 with an iKon Deluxe OC baseplate substituted for the native Feather baseplate.  (Not that there is anything inferior about the Feather AS-D2 native baseplate.)  

But.  (Heresy alert)  When I really need a really close and smooth shave with minimal or no irritation, I reach past the Feather AS-D2 and grab my Feather MR3 neo cartridge razor.  It just works, and works well.  

Some of us are old enough to remember when Honda brought out its first Acura NSX sports car.  Objectively, the NSX performed every bit as well as a Ferrari or Maserati or Bugatti, or any other celebrated road machine.  But the NSX was so overwhelmingly well-behaved, it did not catch on because the sports car enthusiasts could not be satisfied with a car that did it all for them.  That is the problem that the Feather MR3 neo has in the shaving world.  It is just too good to excite the enthusiast in us.  I know that I can get my best shaves with the MR3 neo, but I have more fun shaving with a double edge Feather AS-D2 with the iKon baseplate substituted.

1 1,455
 03-21-2020, 07:55 AM
  • chazt
  • Queens, NY
User Info
Good post, Tom. I had a feeling you’d cite them Wink

19 4,550
 03-21-2020, 04:47 PM
  • Asafiev
  • Lancaster, PA
User Info
Feather AS-D2
Tatara Masume

No drama, pure comfort, high quality, pure joy to use each and every time.

0 340
 03-21-2020, 05:57 PM
  • chazt
  • Queens, NY
User Info
(03-21-2020, 04:47 PM)Asafiev Wrote: Feather AS-D2
Tatara Masume

Timothy, I’m glad to hear about your Feather razor. I haven’t used one. Many people really love that razor, yet others seem to feel quite blasé when the subject is AS-D2. It’s on my must try list.

19 4,550
 03-22-2020, 05:59 AM
User Info
I prefer straight razors.  However, in modern DE's I get the best results from the Timeless .68.  I recently tried the Zeppelin razor prototype, and found that it produced results comparable to what I get from the Timeless.

60 10,552
 03-23-2020, 05:50 AM
  • RyznRio
  • Connecticut
User Info
This may not be the sexiest choice but with 14-15 razors of various types and pedigrees, my all time favorite razor that consistently gives me a great shave with just about any blade is the Rockwell 6C with the #4 plate.

0 482
 03-23-2020, 08:55 AM
  • chazt
  • Queens, NY
User Info
(03-22-2020, 05:59 AM)TheLegalRazor Wrote: I prefer straight razors.  However, in modern DE's I get the best results from the Timeless .68.  I recently tried the Zeppelin razor prototype, and found that it produced results comparable to what I get from the Timeless.
A Timeless (along with a Feather) is on my still-must-try list.

(03-23-2020, 05:50 AM)RyznRio Wrote: This may not be the sexiest choice but with 14-15 razors of various types and pedigrees, my all time favorite razor that consistently gives me a great shave with just about any blade is the Rockwell 6C with the #4 plate.
Good to know! Haven’t heard much from Rockwell lovers lately.

19 4,550
 03-23-2020, 08:56 AM
  • chazt
  • Queens, NY
User Info
(03-21-2020, 04:47 PM)Asafiev Wrote: Feather AS-D2
Tatara Masume

You have to appreciate a no drama razor  Thumbsup

19 4,550
 03-23-2020, 04:58 PM
User Info
Best shaves are coming from a Merkur Future.  Darn thing surprised me.

6 567
 03-25-2020, 04:42 AM
  • RyznRio
  • Connecticut
User Info
(03-23-2020, 08:55 AM)chazt Wrote:
(03-22-2020, 05:59 AM)TheLegalRazor Wrote: I prefer straight razors.  However, in modern DE's I get the best results from the Timeless .68.  I recently tried the Zeppelin razor prototype, and found that it produced results comparable to what I get from the Timeless.
A Timeless (along with a Feather) is on my still-must-try list.

(03-23-2020, 05:50 AM)RyznRio Wrote: This may not be the sexiest choice but with 14-15 razors of various types and pedigrees, my all time favorite razor that consistently gives me a great shave with just about any blade is the Rockwell 6C with the #4 plate.
Good to know! Haven’t heard much from Rockwell lovers lately.

Well, Charlie, it is intimidating when other gents are praising their high end acquisitions and unobtanium to point out that I favor a pot metal razor that comes in at a Chinese knock off price. But as we all know, the face likes what the face likes.

0 482