03-19-2020, 07:10 AM
User Info
I sold my bbs-1 years ago and still have seller's remorse. A friend recently said his was for sale $900. Any ideas?

69 2,043
 03-19-2020, 09:05 AM
  • DanLaw
  • Just an old slow fat man
  • Peachtree City, GA
User Info
Haha. Really?

6 739
 03-19-2020, 09:12 AM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
My face never got along with the BBS-1. I sold it a few years ago.

53 21,747
 03-19-2020, 10:30 AM
  • Snuff
  • Belgium
User Info
Bought one twice and sold them again, just not my cup of tea

39 1,625
 03-19-2020, 06:20 PM
User Info
Same, here. I got one of the first ones available, but it just didn't suit me, for some reason. However, that was when they cost $200. I would never pay the asking price they command, nowadays, as it is just a razor. 
Good luck with your decision.

92 21,360
 03-19-2020, 10:42 PM
User Info
I love it, but wouldn't buy it for $900. Unfortunately, I normally would say that for something I love but I wouldn't rebut one unless it was for a reasonable price. When would that happen? Does anyone want mine for $120? I traded a Ceracote Aluminum Mongoose v2 head and base plate for the BBS-1 bass plate and head. I'm lucky I even got to try it.

But I will tell you guys! Years ago after a wedding, I did leave my head and base plate and I can't tell you how close it was to be thrown into a landfill. No joke! I forgot about it after a shave and it slipped into a tissue box. I didn't have it for almost 2 years but when I shaved with it again for the first time, like riding a bike. I knew the angle and everything, it was so sweet! 

There are still god knows too many awesome razors. BBS-1 is not the best by any means but it is not alone in the showroom of well designed razors. One of my top razors among all time is R41, both versions are worth it. If you want to try the early 2011 aggressive version, it's kind of like finding a BBS-1. But if you can only get a 2013 R41, it's a fantastic razor as well.

To JackGoldman123, have you considered a Focus R52, WR2, or Carbon razor? These are all the backups I would like if I could try to replace the BBS-1. I used to think the BBS-1 was crappy for it's lack of blade acceptability.

A few notes in my experience on blade choice. I used to think that it was only good with Voskhod but now I have explored so many better blades. Top choices would be Nacet Gillettes or Red Pack Israeli Personna but so many other Gillettes are great as well. Vintage blades are pretty spectacular in this razor.

One last thought, my view and the rarity of this razor is a bit different than most people because I never bought it for the asking retail price or well above makes price but also never got it with the handle. How many people think that it is a better handle to use with the matching BBS-1 stock versus another aftermarket. I think many people say they like the stock handle and/or the knurling.

87 1,810
 03-20-2020, 06:35 AM
User Info
Focus R52, WR2, or Carbon razor?

Not familiar with any of them but seen photos of the Carbon.
Presently enjoying Feather AS-D2, Weber and Rocnel medium.
Blade: Kai

69 2,043