03-21-2020, 12:16 PM
  • Mouser
  • Forest City, Florida U.S.A.
User Info
It's nothing like most of you think. Many of you may have done it with a soap, or a razor, some with a complete set up for an entire week. Heck, some of you have done it for a month!  I'm talking about using one product exclusively or better yet, a whole set up. I just can't  do it. I can't stick it out. Am I the only one so weak?

8 2,847
 03-21-2020, 12:46 PM
User Info
 03-21-2020, 01:01 PM
User Info
Being weak has nothing to do with it. Your priorities determine your shaving habits.

It was never my intention to become a shaving enthusiast...I just needed to learn how to shave properly. I purchased a Merkur Futur and products recommended on various shaving forums and began learning how to wet shave. It took me a good 2 years of practice but 5 years later the same razor and a tube of Cremo Shave Creme is all I need.

0 32
 03-21-2020, 01:02 PM
User Info
I'll stick to just one setup only after I have used up completely the setups from the other 27 days in my rotation - years from now.

249 14,589
 03-21-2020, 01:17 PM
  • Mouser
User Info
(03-21-2020, 01:02 PM)churchilllafemme Wrote: I'll stick to just one setup only after I have used up completely the setups from the other 27 days in my rotation - years from now.

Me, basically.
See, thing is,  If it was just about getting a shave I'd go back to the three bladed razor and can of Barbasol i used to use. Sure the shaves weren't quite as close and comfortable as they are now but that's not enough of a reason. I enjoy the shaves now. I enjoy the variety.  Variety of scents, sensations.  Vigorously waking up my skin with a face lather one day and the calming tea ceremony likeness of bowl lathering and painting the lather on the next. The difference of feel between two pristine vintage blades,  one stainless the other a very well kept carbon. 
Ok, end of an old man's ramble.

8 2,847
 03-21-2020, 04:39 PM
  • chazt
  • Queens, NY
User Info
I understand your dilemma. Every time I think, “this is truly the only razor/soap/brush I really need,” something else sitting on my shave shelf flashes a mischievous grin, and I know that it was just a bunch of crazy talk.

For sure I can use one razor for a week of shaves, same with a soap. If I had to, I’m sure I could stretch it to a month, but that’s only in the event of an alien invasion or something. Not brushes though. I know that I’m brush disordered.

As it is with guitars, variety is an important part of this traditional wet shaving hobby.

And yes, originally, all I wanted was better shaves.

19 4,563
 03-21-2020, 05:09 PM
User Info
Funny I'm seeing this post. I was thinking along the same lines regarding my razor. I have many vintage razors, DE and SE that I bought to try, but for the past year and a half, I have been reaching for one razor only, my ASD2. Every time I go to the shelf with my other razors, I make one excuse of the other, ...I'll use it next week, I'm using a new soap, so I shouldn't change both the soap and the razor, I don't feel like it,......etc. What the hell!!. I have all these lovely vintage razors, begging me try them and I keep using my ASD2. I'm also locked into 2 blades -- polsilver and permasharp because those are the 2 blades that give me the best shaves in my ASD2.

0 154
 03-21-2020, 05:34 PM
  • evnpar
  • Emeritus
  • Portland, Oregon
User Info
I started shaving in 1962 with a Fat Boy, and added a Slim a couple years later, and used the same two razors and Old Spice soap for nearly 50 years. However, over the past 10 years I've probably used 250 different soaps, and have rotated through about 50 different straights and at least that many brushes. I might try to shave with the same setup for a week, but usually give up after a day or two. However, I have been using the same brand of soap five days out of seven for the past few months and plan to slowly par back on razors and brushes to just a few favorites.

39 6,296
 03-21-2020, 06:24 PM
User Info
I also can't have with just one setup for very long.  I like to choose different equipment each time.

2 131
 03-21-2020, 08:03 PM
User Info
Even though I am an "experienced" wet shaver, the less I rotate the better and more consistent my results are. I prefer to choose brushes based on what my face and amount of beard are needing and then trying to use a brush that pairs well with whatever soap I'm using. That was a big step up in improvement of my shaves was to use what works well together and enjoy the consistency.

For those of you who want to rotate your sotd setup overtime, go for it! Why not do it your way?

Hardest thing for me in shaving is trying to understand how the word "bloom" is such a bad word.  Wink

87 1,801
 03-22-2020, 03:10 AM
User Info
My previous response was, of course, an attempt at humor. I can, and often do, use one set-up for extended periods. You might have noticed that I have been using Hemingway Accoutrements for quite a while and will continue until it's used up. A few months ago, I did a 30 day challenge with MWF only. Even though I have a ridiculous amount of product, the challenge of sticking with a single product for an extended period of time is, for me anyway, good discipline.

84 6,354
 03-22-2020, 03:30 AM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
  • 44.4899° south of the North Pole
User Info
(03-21-2020, 12:16 PM)Mouser Wrote: It's nothing like most of you think. Many of you may have done it with a soap, or a razor, some with a complete set up for an entire week. Heck, some of you have done it for a month!  I'm talking about using one product exclusively or better yet, a whole set up.

Heck, back in The Day, when I was using cartridge razors, I stuck with a two-blade Gillette — Sensor, I think the model was called — for over a decade, lathering up each day with Col. Conk Amber and a Vulfix Super Badger brush.  It seemed no hardship then, and, though I prefer my current options, I probably would not consider it a big deal now if those were the only tools available.

1 1,455
 03-22-2020, 03:40 AM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
  • 44.4899° south of the North Pole
User Info
(03-21-2020, 05:09 PM)meshave Wrote: I have many vintage razors, DE and SE that I bought to try, but for the past year and a half, I have been reaching for one razor only, my ASD2. Every time I go to the shelf with my other razors, I make one excuse of the other, ...I'll use it next week, I'm using a new soap, so I shouldn't change both the soap and the razor, I don't feel like it,......etc. What the hell!!. I have all these lovely vintage razors, begging me try them and I keep using my ASD2.

You're singing my song.   Wink  I mix it up a bit by alternating aperiodically between the stock ASD2 baseplate and the iKon Deluxe OC baseplate in the ASD2; and (once every couple of months or so), when I am feeling like a wild and crazy guy, I will throw all caution to the wind, and load my blade into my iKon Stainless DLC Slant, but the next day, I inevitably will reach for the ASD2 again.

1 1,455
 03-23-2020, 06:02 AM
  • RyznRio
  • Connecticut
User Info
I have been wet shaving for about a year. Before that, I had a full beard for about 20 years. being a novice I struggled. the gents here advised me to stick to one set up for a month in order to remove the variables and learn proper technique. now, I have only gone with one set up while on vacation. I enjoy the game time decisions to my shave line up for the day.

0 482
 03-24-2020, 06:02 AM
User Info
You just have to commit.
[Image: kAYKZnD.jpg]

84 6,354
 03-24-2020, 07:03 AM
User Info
Just thinking about all my friends on this site.  wishing you all the best from Oregon

97 1,560
 03-24-2020, 08:10 AM
User Info
(03-24-2020, 07:03 AM)daveinsweethome Wrote: Just thinking about all my friends on this site.  wishing you all the best from Oregon

+1
greetings and best wishes to all from Los Angeles

87 1,801
 03-24-2020, 12:21 PM
  • Mouser
User Info
I hope everyone is doing well during this very trying time. At least having interesting conversations with intelligent, like-minded people here doesn't  violate social distancing.

8 2,847
 03-24-2020, 03:54 PM
User Info
I'm pretty good about using the same soap until it's gone, but I am always using different razors. I might go a week or two with the same razor, but never longer than that.

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

0 13
 03-24-2020, 09:38 PM
User Info
I've been stuck with a single razor and brush for a year, since most of my stuff is in storage as part of an extended relocation. I go about a month at a time on a single soap. I fully admit that shaving isn't as much the 'hobby' that it was from 2013-2018. I think when the "acquisition disorders" fade, then it's easier to just do it as routine. I wouldn't mind having my open comb back though!

6 1,158