03-22-2020, 09:31 AM
User Info
The fragrances of soaps and creams have always been a significant part of my enjoyment of shaving, and as I grow older now in my early 70s, I am noticing sadly that my sense of smell is fading gradually.  Just as I now tend to sprinkle more salt and pepper on my foods than previously, I also find most pleasurable my vintage soaps that have retained their scents.  I had wondered about my old soaps seeming to lose their scents more quickly than in the past, until I realized one day that it was I who was changing with time, not the soaps.  It's just another one of those realities of life, and there is little if anything I can do about it, but that doesn't mean I have to like it.  I guess I should just be grateful that I have lived long enough to note the change...

So those of you who are younger - most of you here on the forum - I would advise to pay attention each day to the small joys of shaving, such as the wonderful fragrances created by the many artisans of the past and present, because they probably will not always be there for you.

249 14,592
 03-22-2020, 10:23 AM
  • NJDJ
  • New Jersey
User Info
Thoughtful post, John.  Sounds like good advice.

36 1,088
 03-22-2020, 10:37 AM
  • evnpar
  • Emeritus
  • Portland, Oregon
User Info
My sense of smell has also decreased, John. However, my wife's hasn't as she has started complaining about my use of cologne, which probably means I'm putting it on too heavy due to my decrease sense of smell. That's an easy fix, but I do miss a stronger scent of soaps as I'm shaving.

39 6,296
 03-22-2020, 10:43 AM
  • eengler
  • Administrator
  • South Dakota, USA
User Info
Great advice John, I will certainly try to enjoy my current capacities. I wish there was a way to make up and balance the decline of our olfactory senses. I work in healthcare and primarily the aging segment who sometimes will literally marinate themselves in perfumes and colognes until they are able to smell it themselves which means the scent will enter the room way before they do.

68 5,620
 03-22-2020, 11:04 AM
User Info
I'm trying to read these entries but my eyesight is not too good at this age...

67 1,985
 03-22-2020, 05:11 PM
  • chazt
  • Queens, NY
User Info
For me, John, it was the knees. Luckily my olfaction is still working within normal limits. Thanks, though for the reminder to enjoy every shave. It’s good advice!

19 4,564
 03-27-2020, 05:08 AM
  • RyznRio
  • Connecticut
User Info
Ah yes, reminds me of a little poem that I first saw taped to my doctor's wall:

The Golden Years have come at last!
I cannot see
I cannot pee;
I cannot chew
I cannot screw;
I cannot hear
But don't shed a tear,
The Golden Years have come at last!
The Golden Years can kiss my @ss.

As Bette Davis once said, "getting old is not for sissies".

0 482
 03-27-2020, 02:00 PM
User Info
John. Thanks for the post! I can still smell but I can’t hear so well.

6 567
 05-03-2020, 02:49 PM
User Info
My wife and I got out for a walk today along a waterfront, and as we crossed a street, holding hands, a woman who had stopped her car for us opened her window and called out, "You two are such a cute couple."  Now that really made me feel old...

249 14,592
 05-03-2020, 03:16 PM
  • Rufus
  • Greater Toronto Area
User Info
It brings to mind Shakespeare’s “The Seven Ages of Man”: “... Last scene of all, That ends this strange eventful history, is second childishness and mere oblivion, Sans teeth, sans eyes, sans taste, sans everything.”

9 1,168
 05-09-2020, 02:34 AM
  • Mouser
  • Forest City, Florida U.S.A.
User Info
I need to be careful here,  I could go off on a ramble. Besides the usual problems presented by growing old I'm also dealing with some unique issues caused by a lot of old fashioned major spine surgeries and hardware I carry back there. The first operation was over 55 years ago and I've been trucking the hardware around since 1973. See? I almost fell into it. It's a long story but to get back on point as far as the natural, normal consequences of aging it's only been my vision that's been on the wane. I'm still able to enjoy fragrances and aromas as well as ever. As far as I've noticed.
By the way, I guess I should mention my age, I'm a couple of months short of 64.

8 2,848
 05-09-2020, 03:11 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
I will be 74 in two months and I say ditto to all of the above.  That doctors poem pretty much hits the nail on the head, as the say.

187 26,222
 05-11-2020, 09:14 AM
  • Mouser
  • Forest City, Florida U.S.A.
User Info
(05-09-2020, 03:11 PM)Johnny Wrote: I will be 74 in two months and I say ditto to all of the above.  That doctors poem pretty much hits the nail on the head, as the say.

That's another thing I don't do as well as I used to, hitting the nail on the head. The condition of my left thumb is exhibit " A ".

8 2,848