03-25-2020, 11:56 PM
User Info
[Image: F7x3GZ0.jpg][Image: uE0hlXw.jpg][Image: PypX1FH.jpg]

Hi All. 

Please find my latest addition. A Simpson #24 ( you'll make that out in photo 2). I've seen a photo of a Simpson #26 before but not a #24. 

The interesting part is that it has "Anglian" inscribed on it, with Simpson nowhere to be seen.

Any ideas about the Anglian, gents? I've not been able to find any reference.

The details of the brush include that it is Pure Badger, the handle is 53mm in length, and the loft is 42mm high and 20mm across.

Enjoy!

Adam

0 19
 03-26-2020, 03:15 AM
  • chazt
  • Shimmer of Techs
  • Queens, NY
User Info
Hi, Adam. It sure is a looker! Maybe our resident brush sleuth, Shaun, will be have some insights. Thanks for sharing it with us.

19 4,685
 03-26-2020, 10:49 PM
  • Shaun
  • St Peters, NSW, Australia
User Info
I am his brother Wink He lives over in Western Australia; I live in Sydney over on the Eastern side of the continent. I will check it out, but nothing so far. Nice lathing. I might have to do a search through old publications... chemists and druggists Wink

0 2,335
 06-04-2020, 06:25 PM
  • chazt
  • Shimmer of Techs
  • Queens, NY
User Info
Any updates?

19 4,685
 06-04-2020, 06:50 PM
  • ChiefBroom
  • Chief of Dark Holler
  • Fort Collins, Colorado, USA
User Info
Wow! I just caught this for the first time. What a find!

I don't know that I've ever seen a Simpson vintage handle with a bead turned down quite like that.

3 1,804
 06-05-2020, 06:02 AM
  • BSWoodturning
  • Co-Owner, Brad Sears ShaveWorks
  • Maryland Eastern Shore
User Info
(03-26-2020, 03:15 AM)chazt Wrote: Hi, Adam. It sure is a looker! Maybe our resident brush sleuth, Shaun, will be have some insights. Thanks for sharing it with us.

+1!

It's a good turning for sure.  As Ken suggests, the bead curve is unique.  From an aesthetic perspective, it makes sense as the curve of the bead seems to echo the curve at the top of the ferrule.  It's also possible that the turner could have left the bead half "rolled" by accident.  Transitioning from a concave cut to a short convex shape (in this case, the bead) is tricky, so there's a good probability that this handle was a victim of time pressure to get a batch of handles out the door.  (I lean more to the former because the bead is so well finished with a slight champfer at the bottom terminating at a hard cut at the top rather than being rolled all the way into the ferrule.)  Either way, it's certainly a unique--and very interesting--brush.  Maybe Shaun's research will turn up something definitive.

4 1,071
 06-05-2020, 02:57 PM
  • Shaun
  • St Peters, NSW, Australia
User Info
Trusting I can post a thread from another group (below)? If not let me know and I'll take it down. 

It appears Simpson may have had a "'Twenties" line of brushes and the model was made defunct quite while back now. It is speculated (not very convincingly to me so far) that it may have been a precursor to the Emperor line.
https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/widening-a-vintage-simpson-24.377061/

Now, there are distinct similarities here with Adam's brush and the pic in the above thread, but also differences. I'd venture to say that Adam's brush is an earlier version of the one contained in the images of the Simpson 24. It may have been that Simpson developed a prototype and gave it a model name (for an exhibition?) but just dropped the name later on. All total speculation on my part. 

In the version in the above link, it has the 'Made in England' decal, placing it later than  the London days, and the change to the 'knop' is visibly different; Adam's brush may indicate a time when the lather was still trying to work it all out. Brad's comments add quite a lot of light here as regards lathing technique, and very interesting these comments are, too!

For me, Adam's is the more interesting brush, and more information may yet come to light, but my researches have otherwise yielded little results other than those I have posted here.

0 2,335
 06-05-2020, 05:18 PM
  • chazt
  • Shimmer of Techs
  • Queens, NY
User Info
Thank you, gentlemen for humoring my question. Much appreciated Smile

19 4,685
 06-06-2020, 12:28 AM
User Info
Hi All. 

Some very interesting comments, especially from Brad and Shaun. 

So my #24 is not an orphan. Although, it seems, the Anglian name makes it (perhaps) slightly rarer.

I'm about to post my most recent score - a vintage Beaufort (B6) that you may want to check out.

Adam

0 19