04-01-2020, 11:28 AM
User Info
Very disheartened that Polsilver Super Iridiums are no longer being made.  They were, imho, the best blades on the market.

I know there are many of you with access to "vintage" blades from obscure and arcane sources that are the "best ever" - and in truth, I don't doubt that.  But I don't have access to (let alone knowledge of) those sources so am limited to what I can buy - today - on the Internet.

Given that, what do you think is/are the best blade(s) on the market today - blades one can actually go out and purchase via normal means?

0 497
 04-01-2020, 11:56 AM
User Info
ymmv!
imho you will get many different answers due to so many skin types and shaving techniques
imho if you have the money, Kai is best, Feather next
for less money Gillette Nacet, Personna med prep, Astra are quite nice

67 1,985
 04-01-2020, 12:09 PM
User Info
(04-01-2020, 11:56 AM)jackgoldman123 Wrote: ymmv!
imho you will get many different answers due to so many skin types and shaving techniques
imho if you have the money, Kai is best, Feather next
for less money Gillette Nacet, Personna med prep, Astra are quite nice
Yep, I'm expecting a variety of answers.  :-)

0 497
 04-01-2020, 03:32 PM
  • RyznRio
  • Connecticut
User Info
right now I am enjoying shaving with PermaSharp and Gillette Wilkinson sword from India but nacent, Astra, Gillette Silver Blue, Gillette Platinum (especially the GPs that Bullgoose is selling) and Bolzano give a great shave as well. If you want to try em all go to try a blade where you can buy as few as one blade of each brand.

0 482
 04-01-2020, 03:55 PM
User Info
I use Astra SP which are maybe my favorite...and Treet Platinum, Personna Lab Blue.  
Although I really like a Kai blade in my GC .68.
Once in a while, Gillette Blue, Sharks and Rapira Platinum.  
I’ve given up on the Bolzano blades.  They just don’t seem smooth to me.

One thing I can’t get my head around is the supposed difference of blades that are all made at the same factory.  It’s a fair assumption that razor blade prices, being generally very low, are extremely dependent on running huge quantities at a time.  So I just don’t believe that a blade production line shuts down and resets the whole line to run a completely different blade.  Even if they’re run on a different production line, if you have steel which is equal, then put an edge and coating on it AND use entirely different equipment?  It just can’t be as cost effective.  Sometimes I wonder, sometimes I don’t.
Pete

4 225
 04-02-2020, 08:32 AM
User Info
(04-01-2020, 03:55 PM)PATRIOT Wrote: I use Astra SP which are maybe my favorite...and Treet Platinum, Personna Lab Blue.  

One thing I can’t get my head around is the supposed difference of blades that are all made at the same factory.  It’s a fair assumption that razor blade prices, being generally very low, are extremely dependent on running huge quantities at a time.  So I just don’t believe that a blade production line shuts down and resets the whole line to run a completely different blade.  Even if they’re run on a different production line, if you have steel which is equal, then put an edge and coating on it AND use entirely different equipment?  It just can’t be as cost effective.  Sometimes I wonder, sometimes I don’t.
Pete

This is an interesting topic: quality control. I cannot imagine the quality control, or lack thereof, in razor blade production. This ain't rocket science, they're not making precision instruments. The error rate must be quite high. And if there is manual intervention, well the error rate may go up further. imho.

67 1,985
 04-02-2020, 09:09 AM
  • RyznRio
  • Connecticut
User Info
(04-01-2020, 03:55 PM)PATRIOT Wrote: I use Astra SP which are maybe my favorite...and Treet Platinum, Personna Lab Blue.  

Pete

a good point. another consideration is that the machines making razor blades are probably the same machines that have been making blades for 40 to 100 years. I can't imagine that there are factories anywhere in the world making razor blade making machines.

0 482
 04-02-2020, 09:11 AM
User Info
Mostly, I was just questioning the true difference between blade A and blade B, both made in the same factory.  I wonder if there’s a sort of placebo effect, when we compare blades...which is what we do.  Certainly mileage varies.  Unfortunately, I don’t remember which blades/brands are made in the same Russian, Indian and Turkish factories.  Not to mention the difference between variations of the different offerings from the same brand.  Sure the makeup of the steel and coatings make a difference, but just how much?  Finally, I just don’t think that a blade manufacturer says, OK...”we need to make a sharp blade” or “we need to make a dull blade”.  It’s all about marketing.  YMMV.
Pete

4 225
 04-02-2020, 09:31 AM
  • chazt
  • Queens, NY
User Info
(04-02-2020, 08:32 AM)jackgoldman123 Wrote: This is an interesting topic: quality control. I cannot imagine the quality control, or lack thereof, in razor blade production. This ain't rocket science, they're not making precision instruments. The error rate must be quite high. And if there is manual intervention, well the error rate may go up further. imho.

I rarely ever find dull blades. Once in every other blue moon perhaps, but hardly at all. Yet, there was one recent 10 pack of Crystals with 4 garbage blades. I felt the bad edges when palm stropping, prior to shaving. One stroke with each blade provided complete crap confirmation. After each one I swapped it out for an IP (smoother for me than Crystals, despite being made in the same factory). This has never happened before. I’ve enjoyed Crystals and IPs for many many hundreds of shaves now and never had a bad example from either brand. The only other bad blades I’ve had were from a handful of other less commonly spoken of brands.

19 4,563
 04-02-2020, 12:26 PM
  • Mouser
  • Forest City, Florida U.S.A.
User Info
(04-01-2020, 11:28 AM)Niemander Wrote: Very disheartened that Polsilver Super Iridiums are no longer being made.  They were, imho, the best blades on the market.

I know there are many of you with access to "vintage" blades from obscure and arcane sources that are the "best ever" - and in truth, I don't doubt that.  But I don't have access to (let alone knowledge of) those sources so am limited to what I can buy - today - on the Internet.

Given that, what do you think is/are the best blade(s) on the market today - blades one can actually go out and purchase via normal means?

I'd recommend that you post a list of all your favorite blades and ask for suggestions from guys whose lists match yours. Blades being so ymmv that's probably the best way to narrow down the advice you try.

8 2,847
 04-02-2020, 04:53 PM
User Info
(04-01-2020, 11:28 AM)Niemander Wrote: Very disheartened that Polsilver Super Iridiums are no longer being made.  They were, imho, the best blades on the market.

Polsilver super iridium are certainly my favourite blade. Second is permasharp. Give it a try.

0 154
 04-03-2020, 05:26 PM
  • Nero
User Info
Polsilver are #2.
Gillette Platinum are #1 for me.

98 4,143
 04-04-2020, 08:29 PM
User Info
I have so far tried more than 25 blades in the last 4 yrs. From Polsilver, Feather, Kai to Gillette Platinum plus(Black packaging from India) and more recently Gillette Wilkinson Sword, India. 

My preferences have also changed during the last couple of months. Instead of going in for expensive blades like kai or a feather which gives 5-6 good shaves, I have tried settling in for the cheaper ones which give me 2-3 good shaves. I find Wilkinson Swords to be the best ones in terms of price, quality of shaves (2). 

Another surprise pick would be LORD blades (Cool, Platinum etc) are amazingly good.

4 1,340
 04-05-2020, 12:59 AM
User Info
My most used are Feather, I actually prefer Kai but find them a little too pricey. Also a big fan of German blades, Merkur, Timor, Erbe, Souplex etc... All perform great for me. My most recent blade discovery is "Tatra" blades out of the Czech republic, really nice quality.

4 354
 04-05-2020, 02:17 AM
  • Mouser
User Info

I'm one of those vintage blades guys. I not only have enough of them to last the rest of my life, I have enough of several different ones to last that long each. No secret as to availability,  except for a few I picked up here I got practically all of them on that big auction site.  Since I'm retired with time on my hands I made acquiring them at reasonable prices my full time job. Bid low on all I could find, lose out 8 or 9 times out of 10 and slowly build up my inventory.  They're far better blades and my costs per shave is in line with modern blades but I dont recommend going down my path to anyone with a job and a growing family.  In other words, with a life. And at the going asking prices they're only worth it to collectors. That said when I was using modern blades the best, for me, were Rapira Swedish Super Steels,  Gillette 7 oclock Yellow and Dark Blue along with  the Silver Blues and the Iridiums both the Polsilver and the Wizamet which are the same blades. Feathers are either among the best on the market to some or terrible torture devices to others like me.

8 2,847
 04-05-2020, 02:49 PM
User Info
Like Mouser, I use vintage blades exclusively with enough to last me and my grandchildren’s lifetime.

If these blades disappeared I would use PermaSharps, 7-O’clock Green, and Feathers (in mild razors only).

0 126
 04-08-2020, 11:39 PM
User Info
(04-04-2020, 08:29 PM)Jags009 Wrote: I have so far tried more than 25 blades in the last 4 yrs. From Polsilver, Feather, Kai to Gillette Platinum plus(Black packaging from India) and more recently Gillette Wilkinson Sword, India. 

My preferences have also changed during the last couple of months. Instead of going in for expensive blades like kai or a feather which gives 5-6 good shaves, I have tried settling in for the cheaper ones which give me 2-3 good shaves. I find Wilkinson Swords to be the best ones in terms of price, quality of shaves (2). 

Another surprise pick would be LORD blades (Cool, Platinum etc) are amazingly good.

Those Indian Gillette Wilkinson Swords are easily in my top 5! They are great on the first shave unlike other blades I have used.

3 35
 04-09-2020, 02:53 AM
  • Mouser
User Info
(04-02-2020, 09:09 AM)RyznRio Wrote:

Pete

a good point. another consideration is that the machines making razor blades are probably the same machines that have been making blades for 40 to 100 years. I can't imagine that there are factories anywhere in the world making razor blade making machines.

Exactly, and back in the day they were, and still are, making blades for the market that the top brands were too expensive for. Men in, for lack of a better term, the first world could and did pay for top quality.  Once they went to the multiblade razor those next tier manufacturers became the only producers.

8 2,847
 05-07-2020, 04:12 AM
User Info

I have just tried a Nacet in my DE89 for the first time and I was very impressed. My favourites now are Astra SP Greens, Nacet and Perma Sharp.

0 1
 05-09-2020, 10:15 AM
User Info
I was also a big Polsilver fan, perhaps going so far as calling them my #1 blade. I never tried Wizamet SIs but blind-bought 250 since I heard they are pretty much identical to Polsilver. Gillette Silver Blues are probably my second best. I tried Nacet recently and liked them.

8 127