04-06-2020, 01:09 PM
  • ischiapp
  • Forio d'Ischia, Naples, Italy
User Info
Merkur Progress has various customizations.
A few years ago, it had become a fad.
Over time I have appreciated:
• Digress
• Eskimo Adjustable
• Mergress
• Transgress
[Image: wEk3uam.jpg]
[Image: nRTbXxh.jpg]
[Image: Zc9GSeG.jpg]
[Image: dQ3frxM.jpg]

I haven't seen anything new for some time.
Did I miss something?

0 2,419
 04-07-2020, 12:15 AM
User Info
I like the Mergress I just haven’t used it in a long time. That transgress is a beautiful razor!

33 506
 04-07-2020, 06:03 AM
  • chazt
  • Shimmer of Techs
  • Queens, NY
User Info
Forgive me please. I’m dense, and don’t understand. What is the meaning of “hack” as it relates to the Merkur Razor? We know that the razor has been souped up and hot rodded. I’m obviously missing the significance of the thread. Has the OP modded the already modded razors?

19 4,685
 04-07-2020, 09:13 AM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
(04-06-2020, 01:09 PM)ischiapp Wrote: Merkur Progress has various customizations.
A few years ago, it had become a fad.
Over time I have appreciated:
• Digress
• Eskimo Adjustable
• Mergress
• Transgress

[Image: wEk3uam.jpg]
[Image: nRTbXxh.jpg]
[Image: Zc9GSeG.jpg]
[Image: dQ3frxM.jpg]

I haven't seen anything new for some time.
Did I miss something?
Back in 2009, iKon made a replacement spindle with knob for the Progress. The problem is the spindle was made of stainless steel and it tended to strip the threads of the Progress.

53 21,753
 04-07-2020, 11:06 AM
  • ischiapp
User Info
From Germany, a "Forum der Rasur" project of the 2018.
[Image: jMgEfuh.jpg]

(04-07-2020, 06:03 AM)chazt Wrote: I’m obviously missing the significance of the thread. Has the OP modded the already modded razors?
Just use the word you prefer.
Maybe suggest a better one.
Modded is nice.

BTW, I've not modded anything.
Just sharing info ... and asking.

0 2,419
 04-07-2020, 12:13 PM
  • chazt
  • Shimmer of Techs
  • Queens, NY
User Info
(04-07-2020, 11:06 AM)ischiapp Wrote:
(04-07-2020, 06:03 AM)chazt Wrote: I’m obviously missing the significance of the thread. Has the OP modded the already modded razors?
Just use the word you prefer.
Maybe suggest a better one.
Modded is nice.

BTW, I've not modded anything.
Just sharing info ... and asking.

Thank you, my friend. It was my lack of familiarity with some of the variations of the Progress razor that were the root of my misunderstanding. Has the Merkur company ever commented on the many customizations over the years?

19 4,685
 04-08-2020, 11:02 PM
User Info
Those are some great looking Progress customizations! Last December, I had sent out my Merkur Progress to Eric Maier for the Mergress conversion. While I got along with the stock handle, the stainless steel knob adds some class and a nice balance to the razor. Eric sure does some quality work!

3 51
 04-14-2020, 03:47 AM
  • ischiapp
User Info
(04-08-2020, 11:02 PM)The_SwampFox Wrote: ... the Mergress conversion.
Can you explain the process step by step, and share details about time and price?

0 2,419
 04-15-2020, 09:43 PM
User Info
Well, the first step was actually finding his email! I understood it had been some time since Eric had been on some of the other shaving forums I frequent. Luckily, some kind enthusiasts pointed me in the right direction and I eventually procured his email for which he does business. As I do not want to violate any policies on TSN, for those interested in the email address please pm me. From our email exchange, Mr. Maier still accepts private orders. The price of conversion, as of December 2019 when I had made the order, was $47 (w/ CONUS shipping included) via PayPal for either a regular or XL knob. In addition, you have the selection of the color (blue, green, red, or black) of the handle dot. As far as the actual process goes, payment is sent first with your chosen specifications for the knob and dot color. From there, you ship out the razor to Eric so he can work his magic. His lead time is typically 2 weeks, after which he will ship your Mergress. In my case, it was about a 3 week lead time as I had sent it out the week before Christmas. Please note that this listed price only includes return shipping. In addition, I am not sure about his rates for international orders. Overall, I have been very pleased with the results!

3 51