09-26-2012, 10:37 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Ladies and Gentlemen,

In our busy schedules of everyday life we sometimes overlook the simple things in life like a friendly smile, a hand shake, or a simple thank you.

In the spirit of our friendly forum, may we make a simple suggestion/request when receiving a nice PIF from a fellow member.

1. Express your thanks, either by public post or PM, for the giver's generosity.
2. Post a note telling when you have received the item.
3. Post again once you have used the item, with a brief description of your experience - your impressions of the pros and cons and your thoughts about where the item fits into the world of wet shaving and what place it will have in your shaving world in the future.

Thank you,

Administrators and Moderators

173 23,486
 09-27-2012, 07:55 AM
User Info
Wonderful suggestion, Johnny!
Therefore, have a great day and may life bring much joy and happiness into your life and all of you other gents and ladies on this great forum!

75 20,883
 09-30-2012, 10:15 PM
  • Arcadies
  • Greeneville, TN
User Info
(09-27-2012, 07:55 AM)celestino Wrote: Wonderful suggestion, Johnny!

+1
Couldn't agree more! I've sponsored a few PIF's on another forum (not got around to doing one here yet) some were really nice full starter kits, others were just a cheap stick of soap, and while most recipients were appreciative and even posted reviews on the products received (this I really enjoyed) there were a couple that didn't even acknowledge receipt of the item(s) and were never heard from again..that can leave ya feeling a bit soured on PIF'ing. As mentioned it's not required, but we're all gentlemen here and it's the gentlemanly thing to do!

31 1,510
 10-01-2012, 02:13 PM
  • biggiej42
  • Looney for Rooney
  • Stony Point, NY
User Info
I agree! I received two blades as a PIF, and I've yet to try them out or post a review, but it is certainly on it's way.

9 408
 10-01-2012, 02:21 PM
User Info
Agree 100%. Manners are free, they make a good habit it all areas of life, and get you a lot of mileage to boot. One thing to be careful of -- they may damage your reputation as a curmudgeon! Smile

15 316
 10-07-2012, 04:28 PM
  • Grumpy
  • DisneyLand
User Info
I Agree Too.

I maybe Grumpy but, I am not a Curmudgeon.

Now there are rumors being spread that I am a Curmudgeo but, I think it is that whoever is spreading them (Probably Dopey) just have not spent enough time getting to know me.

So if you take a PIF then, Express Your Thanks.

Well ... Express Your Thanks if someone gives you some good advice.

Well ... Express Your Thanks for being about to Shave Every Day.

1 819
 10-10-2012, 06:14 PM
  • savagejoerude
  • If you ain't a LOSER, you ain't livin'!!
  • New Orleans USA
User Info
I'll come out front and say thanks to all the great advise I've found here. In just a short time I've improved my technique enough to say I can give myself a BBS shave every single day... Give a man a cartridge razor and he can shave bad for a day. Teach a man to wet shave and he will have great shaves for life!!!.lol... Or something like that........SO ANYWAYS, THANKS TO ALL....

5 1,151
 01-22-2013, 10:18 PM
  • beartrap
  • Resident Цирюльник
  • Southern California
User Info
Bringing this to the top as a reminder. Simple thanks can make a day brighter and warmer Wink

88 4,233
 01-23-2013, 08:42 AM
  • blzrfn
  • Butterscotch Bandit
  • Vancouver USA
User Info
Seems simple enough, but life can interrupt good intentions. Thanks for the reminder!

125 2,374
 01-24-2013, 10:22 AM
  • geezer
  • Menomonie, Western WI
User Info
I am on another forum and they had a monthly give away. The first Few months were pretty good and then the word got out.
The last giveaway was a newly rescaled and honed 6/8ths Solingen straight and a Thuringian to go with it. When he found he had won, he told the mod that he didn't know what to do with it but wanted it anyway and was told to sign on and we'd help him get started.
Never heard from the guy after it was sent.
No-more giveaways!
~Richard

8 1,190
 01-24-2013, 10:56 AM
User Info
One other suggestion I'd like to make: if you're not planning to use the prize, then please don't enter the contest. Here on this forum, one member won a prize and immediately put it up for sale, saying he needed the money to buy something else. Now there's obviously nothing legally or even ethically wrong with doing that, but it still bothers me. If you don't plan to use it, then why not just let someone else who will use it win...?

183 12,002
 01-24-2013, 12:00 PM
User Info
(01-24-2013, 10:56 AM)churchilllafemme Wrote: One other suggestion I'd like to make: if you're not planning to use the prize, then please don't enter the contest. Here on this forum, one member won a prize and immediately put it up for sale, saying he needed the money to buy something else. Now there's obviously nothing legally or even ethically wrong with doing that, but it still bothers me. If you don't plan to use it, then why not just let someone else who will use it win...?

That's just bad form. I agree that if you get a PIF and decide it's not for you, you should pass it on. Accepting a PIF with the purpose of generating a profit seems wrong to me.

5 938
 01-29-2013, 11:32 AM
  • A28
User Info
Love this Biggrin

3 316
 01-29-2013, 03:39 PM
  • Striky
  • Reipå, Norway
User Info
(01-29-2013, 11:32 AM)A28 Wrote: Love this Biggrin

Me too. And this is why I joined this forum. Everybody is polite, kind and very helpful.

When I joined the forum, I won a starterkit (without a razor). Two starterkits was up for the PIF, and two members who met the criteria entered the contest. So we both one starterkit. I had never won a PIF before, and was very happy. I expressed my thanks for the giver's generosity, and let him know that the products had arrived. But I never posted used the item, telling him about my experience with the products. I will definitely go back and make a post with my experience, since I still use the products today :-)

Keep up the good work!

7 858
 01-29-2013, 05:30 PM
  • Kavik79
  • Albany, NY - USA
User Info
(01-24-2013, 10:56 AM)churchilllafemme Wrote: One other suggestion I'd like to make: if you're not planning to use the prize, then please don't enter the contest. Here on this forum, one member won a prize and immediately put it up for sale, saying he needed the money to buy something else. Now there's obviously nothing legally or even ethically wrong with doing that, but it still bothers me. If you don't plan to use it, then why not just let someone else who will use it win...?

Nothing legally, but I'd say that's easily on the verge of being ethically wrong Dodgy
I've only offered up one pif in the past, on another forum, and it included the following line in the "terms of the contest":
Quote:If you don't like it you agree to PIF it again. If you sell it, the iron oxide karma fairies will find you Tongue
(it was geared more towards straight razor users, we fear rust lol)

10 411
 01-29-2013, 05:33 PM
  • TexBilly
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Austin, TX
User Info
All,

A little bit of effort certainly goes a long way! Thanks for posting this excellent reminder, Johnny!

35 2,703
 01-29-2013, 05:59 PM
User Info

I am one such person that has done this. I entered a contest that had multiple prizes. I happened to win the only prize I wouldn't have used. I contacted the provider of the item stating this & what my intentions would be. I was given his blessing to carry out my plan. I felt it would be in even poorer taste to ask for something I would like in place of what I won.

As for PIFs/contests with items I won't use then I don't enter. The UFO PIF is one such example.

While my actions may have appeared in poor taste or even ethically/morally wrong I wanted to point out that I did speak to the person offering up the item that I won. I do not enter any contest with intentions to resell. It is obvious many people don't appreciate this type of activity but it's not always black & white & we all don't posses all of the information surrounding the situation.

I'm of the mind that if I give something to someone or donate to a contest then whoever gets it is the new guardian/owner. They are free to do with it as they please. I would think that in this hobby where YMMV is king that things like this can, do, and will continue to happen.

31 7,912