04-10-2020, 06:38 AM
  • David
  • Toronto
User Info
I'm thinking about getting a GEM. Should I do it?

I'd like a new one, and it seems the only one available is the Blackland Sabre, with 2 base plates available. It seems as though it won't be difficult to purchase blades, although there's not much choice.

My Asylum SE gets the most use, followed by my Wolfman. But...I think I'd enjoy something quite different.

Any thoughts from those who have one, had one, or are considering one?

1 672
 04-10-2020, 06:42 AM
User Info
Yes, but I would look at the vintage offerings as well; I'm partial to my Micromatic, but my 1912 and EverReady 1914 are lovely too.

3 7,283
 04-10-2020, 06:50 AM
User Info
Life is short why not?
if a guitar guy: did you get that Fender Strat yet?
if a car guy...

67 1,975
 04-10-2020, 06:53 AM
User Info
I'm biased, but I love my Sabre.  Have both baseplates, but generally use level 2.  Also use various vintage Gem and Ever Ready razors.  The Phoenix Starling V2 (with two baseplates) is also a great modern implementation of the GEM shaver and is quite affordable when in stock.

Getting back to the Sabre: it's worth getting if you can afford the discretionary expense, but in my opinion shaves no better or worse than many vintage GEMs.

2 8
 04-10-2020, 06:55 AM
User Info
The Blackland Sabre is a very nice razor, and certainly merits serious consideration.  If you're not sure whether you'll like GEM blades, the vintage GEMs are reasonably priced.

60 10,544
 04-10-2020, 06:59 AM
User Info
Being as you are in Canada, the Blackland Sabre will be quite expensive. It is a beautifully made razor, though. 
If you have never used a GEM-style razor, I would highly recommend getting a vintage one as you may not enjoy the SE blades and you won't be out so much money. Granted, 
They may not work for you. That is what happened to me. I have tried most of the vintage SE razors, along with the Sabre L1 & 2 plates, and while they were lovey razors, the blades were just not compatible with my skin, for whatever reason. As much as I tried, the SE blades just never felt comfortable and the shaves were never as close and comfortable compared to my Blackbird razors and DE blades. 
Having said this, Shane does offer a 30-day guarantee, so this may make my point moot.  Shy
Best of luck with your decision.

92 21,340
 04-10-2020, 07:04 AM
User Info
The Sabre is the only razor I use anymore. I’ve run the gamut through all of the vintage SEs and most of the moderns as well. I do agree with others though that you should try a vintage GEM razor first to see if the blades are to your liking. They are a bit different from the barbershop style SE blades.

Regardless, if you do get the Sabre I’m sure you will immediately appreciate its quality. There’s no denying that from anyone. The only question for you would still be the blade.

31 8,065
 04-10-2020, 09:01 AM
  • David
  • Toronto
User Info
(04-10-2020, 07:04 AM)SharpSpine Wrote: The Sabre is the only razor I use anymore. I’ve run the gamut through all of the vintage SEs and most of the moderns as well. I do agree with others though that you should try a vintage GEM razor first to see if the blades are to your liking. They are a bit different from the barbershop style SE blades.

Regardless, if you do get the Sabre I’m sure you will immediately appreciate its quality. There’s no denying that from anyone. The only question for you would still be the blade.

I love PINK in my asylum SE. Would it be a drastic change to GEM blades?

1 672
 04-10-2020, 11:49 AM
User Info
(04-10-2020, 09:01 AM)David Wrote:
(04-10-2020, 07:04 AM)SharpSpine Wrote: The Sabre is the only razor I use anymore. I’ve run the gamut through all of the vintage SEs and most of the moderns as well. I do agree with others though that you should try a vintage GEM razor first to see if the blades are to your liking. They are a bit different from the barbershop style SE blades.

I love PINK in my asylum SE.  Would it be a drastic change to GEM blades?

Personally, I find the blades completely different. The Feather-type longer SE razors are so much sharper and smoother than any GEM blade I have ever used. All of the GEM-style blades I have used seem to 'scrape' as opposed to cutting. 
The only way you'll know if GEM-type blades and razors work, for you, is if you try them. 
Good luck.

92 21,340
 04-10-2020, 12:18 PM
  • Asafiev
  • Lancaster, PA
User Info
The Sabre L1 is one of my top two GEM razors. The other is the ATT G1. Both agreat! The Starling is a distant third for me. I do have a number of vintage GEM razors but I prefer the Sabre or G1.

0 339
 04-10-2020, 12:20 PM
User Info
(04-10-2020, 11:49 AM)celestino Wrote: Personally, I find the blades completely different. The Feather-type longer SE razors are so much sharper and smoother than any GEM blade I have ever used. All of the GEM-style blades I have used seem to 'scrape' as opposed to cutting. 
The only way you'll know if GEMGEM AN -type blades and razors work, for you, is if you try them. 
Good luck.

Agreed.   Other than both being se blades, the Feather AC and GEMs are not similar.  I definitely find the Feather AC to be sharper and smoother.  However, many guys get excellent results from the GEMs.  This is why trying an inexpensive vintage GEM razor is a good option.

60 10,544
 04-10-2020, 12:22 PM
  • ischiapp
  • Forio d'Ischia, Naples, Italy
User Info
I love vintage SE look.
But I don't like to shave with.
Mostly, because of the balance and the angle.

After this modern one, now I love GEM style blade too.
http://shavenook.com/showthread.php?tid=60417

0 2,310
 04-10-2020, 02:28 PM
  • RyznRio
  • Connecticut
User Info
I have 3 vintage Gems and I really like them. Micromatic, Black and Gold flip top, White and Gold flip top. 

I have 3 AC razors as well, RRHawk V2, Colonial General, and an Enoch. I enjoy shaving with AC as much as I like the Gems. 

It sounds like you will have 30 days to decide to keep the Blackland. I have never seen the Sabre linger too long on the BST so there is little risk but great reward in trying vintage or new Gem razors.

Enjoy. But be forewarned the SE tunnel in this rabbit hole is deeper than it seems at first.

0 482
 04-10-2020, 02:54 PM
  • David
  • Toronto
User Info
(04-10-2020, 06:59 AM)celestino Wrote: Being as you are in Canada, the Blackland Sabre will be quite expensive. It is a beautifully made razor, though. 
If you have never used a GEM-style razor, I would highly recommend getting a vintage one as you may not enjoy the SE blades and you won't be out so much money. Granted, 
They may not work for you. That is what happened to me. I have tried most of the vintage SE razors, along with the Sabre L1 & 2 plates, and while they were lovey razors, the blades were just not compatible with my skin, for whatever reason. As much as I tried, the SE blades just never felt comfortable and the shaves were never as close and comfortable compared to my Blackbird razors and DE blades. 
Having said this, Shane does offer a 30-day guarantee, so this may make my point moot.  Shy
Best of luck with your decision.

Ya, that 30-day guarantee is comforting, given the price.

1 672
 04-12-2020, 05:44 PM
User Info
I have tried a couple vintage GEM razors also and the only one that works for me is the GEM featherweight. I also like the OneBlade V1 with a GEM to finish off my shaves with a FATBOY to give a wonderful shave. I tried the Sabre with the LVL 1 baseplate back in the day, but couldn’t get it to work for me. However, that’s before I really knew what I was doing. I’m tempted to buy the Vector and try some Schick Proline blades and see how it performs also.

19 1,121
 05-04-2020, 02:28 PM
  • David
  • Toronto
User Info
The postman left this outside the door a few minutes ago.   Hmmm.  I wonder what it could be...

[Image: 90QOyet.jpg]

1 672
 05-04-2020, 02:46 PM
  • David
  • Toronto
User Info
The suspense was too much.  I opened it.

[Image: 6Ln872t.jpg]

1 672
 05-04-2020, 02:48 PM
  • David
  • Toronto
User Info
My goodness.  A GEM.  

Can't wait to try it tomorrow!

[Image: bebaSyQ.jpg]
[Image: TYS4gRN.jpg]

1 672
 05-04-2020, 02:58 PM
User Info
Very nice, David!  We'll look forward to  your comments.

60 10,544
 05-04-2020, 06:05 PM
  • chazt
  • Queens, NY
User Info
David, I’ve been lurking on your wavering, and am glad to see you teetered in favor of yes. Enjoy!

19 4,545