9 hours ago
  • Sully
  • Super Moderator
  • Cedar Park, Texas
User Info
Happy Birthday!  That's a great looking Dutch Baby.  I've been making them for years.   The sides on mine get quite high and the middle is very thin.  How do you keep it at such a uniform height?

12 2,368
 6 hours ago
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
  • 44.4899° south of the North Pole
User Info
(9 hours ago)Sully Wrote: That's a great looking Dutch Baby. 
Thank you, but see below.

(9 hours ago)Sully Wrote: The sides on mine get quite high and the middle is very thin.  How do you keep it at such a uniform height?
Well, in this case, my secret was forgetting the baking temperature, and I set the oven too high.
(It has been over a year since the last time I made a Dutch Baby; it has been a busy year.)
The result  was not so much that the center rose higher, but that the crust got brown before the outer sides had had a chance to rise to their full potential. 
You caught me.  <wink>

1 1,441
 2 hours ago
  • Sully
  • Super Moderator
  • Cedar Park, Texas
User Info
(6 hours ago)Mel S Meles Wrote:
(9 hours ago)Sully Wrote: The sides on mine get quite high and the middle is very thin.  How do you keep it at such a uniform height?
Well, in this case, my secret was forgetting the baking temperature, and I set the oven too high.
(It has been over a year since the last time I made a Dutch Baby; it has been a busy year.)
The result  was not so much that the center rose higher, but that the crust got brown before the outer sides had had a chance to rise to their full potential. 
You caught me.  <wink>

Well...   I wasn't trying to catch you.  I have had Dutch Babies that had a thicker custard like center and the sides weren't towering over the middle.  I hoped that you could help me unlock the technique or recipe that would give me the custardly Dutch Baby versus my towering crisp DB.  I'll try a higher temp the next time I make them.

12 2,368