Poll: What is the most number of passes you’ve ever done during a shave?
 04-24-2020, 07:18 PM
User Info
What is the most number of passes you’ve ever done during a shave?

36 2,165
 04-24-2020, 07:24 PM
User Info
5. While traveling with a Mach3, after about 3 years not using it and chasing bbs "to look good in the conference". SAS was all I got.

9 1,620
 04-24-2020, 08:00 PM
User Info
3 is the max. I am a 2 pass guy. 2nd pass being a hybrid pass of ATG, XTG.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4 1,342
 04-24-2020, 10:42 PM
User Info
Four. Pretty much always four.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

0 16
 04-25-2020, 12:58 AM
User Info
Three passes almost always. 4 occasionally.

6 568
 04-25-2020, 04:57 AM
  • chazt
  • Shimmer of Techs
  • Queens, NY
User Info
Generally I do two passes, but I checked three (‘cause that’s the most number of passes I will do). Occasionally, depending on the razor I’ve used, there are also touch ups involved. Do they count as a pass? I’m going with, no.

19 4,683
 04-25-2020, 05:21 AM
User Info
Five, the first time I used a Feather Popular... Couldn't get the darn thing to cut! Figured it out in subsequent shaves but it still takes 4 passes to achieve BBS.

4 367
 04-25-2020, 07:43 AM
  • Mouser
  • Forest City, Florida U.S.A.
User Info
Four occasionally,  mostly three.

8 2,867
 04-25-2020, 08:47 AM
User Info
I've done five when I first started off with a fairly mild razor, but nowadays, with my Blackbird + shim, two passes and touch-ups, I only do two.

92 21,360
 04-25-2020, 09:37 AM
User Info
Standard three-pass shave followed up with a touch-up pass.  Apply alum, balm, and aftershave splash or lotion.

0 11
 04-25-2020, 03:38 PM
User Info
I went a month without shaving and then shaved it off. Took at least 10 passes but more. Had to keep unscrewing the head a bit to rinse. I grow hair like a Sasquatch.
I’m now currently on week two not shaving. I’m on a bit of a a beard quest. I have never really in my life grown a real beard with the exception of that one month beard I grew. I’m trying to grow a full one so that when barber shops open again I can go and support them. I shave my head so other than my sons haircut, I haven’t been to a barber shop for myself in at least a decade. But these people are my neighbors and friends. Their kids are my kids classmates.

98 1,003
 04-25-2020, 05:38 PM
  • David
  • Toronto
User Info

I don't shave my lower neck on the second pass. Perhaps it's 1.7--I've never calculated it exactly.

1 681
 04-25-2020, 08:27 PM
User Info
1 with buffing normally. 2 once in a while if I have a reason to want a closer shave. My skin doesn't like more than 1 pass on a regular basis.

0 160
 04-27-2020, 06:57 AM
  • 2Chops
  • North Central PA
User Info
I usually do 2.  Three on Sundays.

0 306
 04-28-2020, 05:40 AM
  • RyznRio
  • Connecticut
User Info
(04-25-2020, 03:38 PM)chromedometone Wrote: I went a month without shaving and then shaved it off.  Took at least 10 passes but more.  Had to keep unscrewing the head a bit to rinse.   I grow hair like a Sasquatch.  
I’m now currently on week two not shaving.   I’m on a bit of a a beard quest.  I have never really in my life grown a real beard with the exception of that one month beard I grew.  I’m trying to grow a full one so that when barber shops open again I can go and support them.  I shave my head so other than my sons haircut, I haven’t been to a barber shop for myself in at least a decade.   But these people are my neighbors and friends.   Their kids are my kids classmates.
Me, I do the standard 3 pass with a tiny bit of buffing.

Sorry to jump the OP but a gent on beard quest requires direction:

You will need (even for a sasquatch) 6 months of growing without trimming for a full beard. Then trim the wispy scruff around the edges (sideburns) and bottom, and shave your neck up to the top of the adam's apple. you will then have an amazing full beard. maybe in 6 months, you can have a proper trim from a real barber.

0 493
 04-28-2020, 08:58 AM
User Info
(04-28-2020, 05:40 AM)RyznRio Wrote:
(04-25-2020, 03:38 PM)chromedometone Wrote: I went a month without shaving and then shaved it off.  Took at least 10 passes but more.  Had to keep unscrewing the head a bit to rinse.   I grow hair like a Sasquatch.  
I’m now currently on week two not shaving.   I’m on a bit of a a beard quest.  I have never really in my life grown a real beard with the exception of that one month beard I grew.  I’m trying to grow a full one so that when barber shops open again I can go and support them.  I shave my head so other than my sons haircut, I haven’t been to a barber shop for myself in at least a decade.   But these people are my neighbors and friends.   Their kids are my kids classmates.

You will need (even for a sasquatch) 6 months of growing without trimming for a full beard. Then trim the wispy scruff around the edges (sideburns) and bottom, and shave your neck up to the top of the adam's apple. you will then have an amazing full beard. maybe in 6 months, you can have a proper trim from a real barber.

I work with a guy who can reliably grow a full beard in 4-6 weeks, and he has done it many times over the three years I’ve worked with him (he’s from India). Some gents just grow beards much faster than others.

36 2,165
 04-30-2020, 01:49 PM
  • Mouser
  • Forest City, Florida U.S.A.
User Info
(04-28-2020, 08:58 AM)mike_the_kraken Wrote:
(04-28-2020, 05:40 AM)RyznRio Wrote:

I work with a guy who can reliably grow a full beard in 4-6 weeks, and he has done it many times over the three years I’ve worked with him (he’s from India). Some gents just grow beards much faster than others.

Back in the mid eighties beards were popular and I had one for several years. Kept it a fingers width long and it took me around a month to grow, more or less.  But it's only average. Nothing remarkably heavy.

8 2,867
 04-30-2020, 02:41 PM
User Info
Three plus a touch up. But as a relative newbie, I paid for it. My lather was not up to par yet and I used too much pressure. Burn, burn, burn...

1 23
 09-09-2020, 05:49 PM
User Info
Anywhere from 2-4 depending on the setup..
But after 4 passes  I'm pretty much guaranteed
A super close shave with any setup

0 51
 09-10-2020, 01:06 AM
  • Wolf
  • Valencia, Spain
User Info
The highest number of passes I have given myself has been 3, but the usual thing is to give 2 passes.

0 162