04-26-2020, 10:15 AM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
I had never heard of Leaf razors until I saw Teiste post one as a Shave of The Day. It looked interesting so, I decided to order one. While I am posting this under DE razors because it takes DE blades, it is actually a multi blade SE razor (you snap the DE blades in half and load up to three of them).

Over the next couple of weeks I will experiment a bit in terms of the number of blades that I use, the position that I place the blades and the kind of blades that I use. For my initial use, I used Polsilver blades and I loaded a half blade into all three slots.

My initial impression is that this a mild razor that shaves like a multi-blade cartridge razor if the multiblade cartridge razor used high quality blades. It felt as if it would be virtually impossible to nick yourself with this razor even when using all three blades. 

Because of the larger surface area devoted to cutting, it was difficult for me to be precise with my sideburns and, shaving under the nose was a little more difficult than with a DE razor. However, since this was my first use of the razor, take that with a grain of salt -I am sure that I will adapt. I do wish though that it was possible to lock the head. After years of shaving with DE razors, the pivoting head was a bit off putting. Again though, I could probably learn to adapt.

In looking through the YouTube reviews, it was interesting to see that a lot of women had reviewed the razor. It makes sense though. With the longer handle and cartridge like attributes, I can see it appealing to women -especially those who do not want to contribute to plastic waste. It also seems to be very popular with head shavers. 

[Image: JxTYiR7.jpg]

53 21,655
 04-26-2020, 10:24 AM
  • DanLaw
  • Just an old slow fat man
  • Peachtree City, GA
User Info
Nice! Had known of this but was not aware it a favourite of women. Might make a good body shaver. Only concern is the blade interstices clogging as they do with cart but then, with ability to disassemble, they could be cleaned between shaves and blades almost free vis a vis carts....

6 714
 04-26-2020, 10:26 AM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
User Info
(04-26-2020, 10:24 AM)DanLaw Wrote: Nice!  Had known of this but was not aware it a favourite of women.  Might make a good body shaver. Only concern is the blade interstices clogging as they do with cart but then, with ability to disassemble, they could be cleaned between shaves and blades almost free vis a vis carts....

They say they positioned the blades further apart than cartridges to help with water flow and to prevent clogging

53 21,655
 04-26-2020, 10:38 AM
  • DanLaw
  • Peachtree City, GA
User Info
You thinking of picking up the line?

6 714
 04-26-2020, 10:44 AM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
User Info
(04-26-2020, 10:38 AM)DanLaw Wrote: You thinking of picking up the line?

I am not sure whether or not they wholesale but, I do plan on inquiring.

53 21,655
 04-26-2020, 10:55 AM
  • DanLaw
  • Peachtree City, GA
User Info
Let us know if you get them on board. May grab one but will await your enquiry

6 714
 04-26-2020, 10:56 AM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
User Info
(04-26-2020, 10:55 AM)DanLaw Wrote: Let us know if you get them on board. May grab one but will await your enquiry

Will do!

53 21,655
 04-26-2020, 11:21 AM
  • Asafiev
  • Lancaster, PA
User Info
I really like the matte silver look. To me it’s a handsome razor and I appreciate your perspective.

0 340
 04-26-2020, 11:23 AM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
User Info
(04-26-2020, 11:21 AM)Asafiev Wrote: I really like the matte silver look.  To me it’s a handsome razor and I appreciate your perspective.

Thank you. I think they offer 5 different color options. I was debating between matte silver and black.

53 21,655
 04-26-2020, 11:29 AM
  • DanLaw
  • Peachtree City, GA
User Info
Understand silver and black don’t wear well per their site. They claim chrome, gold and mercury wear much better. Although could powder cost if an issue. But only $5 increment for other finishes.

Did you try the stand?

6 714
 04-26-2020, 11:44 AM
User Info
It's definitely a different razor Smile Not one I would pick up (the design don't appeal to me), but I can see how it would appeal to others. A decent razor for those moving from carts to more traditional safety razors perhaps?

3 7,289
 04-26-2020, 11:47 AM
  • DanLaw
  • Peachtree City, GA
User Info
...or body shaving....

6 714
 04-26-2020, 11:53 AM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
User Info
(04-26-2020, 11:29 AM)DanLaw Wrote: Understand silver and black don’t wear well per their site. They claim chrome, gold and mercury wear much better. Although could powder cost if an issue.  But only $5 increment for other finishes.

Did you try the stand?

Interesting -I did not see that. I went for the matte finish because I thought it would be less slippery. I did not try the stand although it does look kind of cool.

53 21,655
 04-26-2020, 11:54 AM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
User Info
(04-26-2020, 11:44 AM)WegianWarrior Wrote: It's definitely a different razor Smile Not one I would pick up (the design don't appeal to me), but I can see how it would appeal to others. A decent razor for those moving from carts to more traditional safety razors perhaps?

Yes - I think so. It supposedly also excels at head shaving.

53 21,655
 04-26-2020, 01:33 PM
User Info
Looks pretty interesting but the reason why I don’t use carts is because of the multi blade issue and my skin. Multi blade razors create razor bumps hence me staying away from multi blade razors. How does this one differ from how a cart shaves by lifting the hair with the first blade and so on and so on?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9 1,563
 04-26-2020, 01:49 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
User Info
(04-26-2020, 01:33 PM)gmhjr06 Wrote: Looks pretty interesting but the reason why I don’t use carts is because of the multi blade issue and my skin. Multi blade razors create razor bumps hence me staying away from multi blade razors.  How does this one differ from how a cart shaves by lifting the hair with the first blade and so on and so on?

They explain that by spacing the blades further apart than a cart it 1) won't clog and 2) won't cut hairs under the surface of the skin thus no ingrown hairs. In addition, you do not need to load all three blades -you could just load a single blade if you want to.

53 21,655
 04-26-2020, 01:52 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
User Info
Sergio Barros posted this graphic on Facebook. It shows how you can increase or decrease the aggressiveness based on blade combinations.

[Image: O0E8PH8.jpg]

53 21,655
 04-26-2020, 02:05 PM
User Info
(04-26-2020, 01:49 PM)bullgoose Wrote:
(04-26-2020, 01:33 PM)gmhjr06 Wrote: Looks pretty interesting but the reason why I don’t use carts is because of the multi blade issue and my skin. Multi blade razors create razor bumps hence me staying away from multi blade razors.  How does this one differ from how a cart shaves by lifting the hair with the first blade and so on and so on?

They explain that by spacing the blades further apart than a cart it 1) won't clog and 2) won't cut hairs under the surface of the skin thus no ingrown hairs. In addition, you do not need to load all three blades -you could just load a single blade if you want to.

Ok, very interesting.

9 1,563
 04-26-2020, 03:38 PM
User Info
I have purchased three leaf razors, all for ladies although I’ll occasionally use my wife’s. I used one for two weeks during testing. Fit and finish has been great. As Phil states, it’s a mild razor that needs a bit of pressure to perform at its peak. Blades are spaced further apart and although it needs rinsing for optimum performance it does not clog like a cartridge. The lift and cut thing isn’t a thing here. Son in law has ingrown issues that DE solved. He can use his wife’s Leaf without ingrowns. One of the razors is three years old and looks new. Magnets hold blades in place while loading but look things over closely because I got a blade loaded wrong and cut my bride. Chrome and mercury on the three I bought and either finish is attractive. The stand is handy. Will purchase more

6 567
 04-26-2020, 11:32 PM
User Info
The think because the blades are of higher quality, they do not pull like in a normal cartridge razor. They simply cut the hair. I have been eyeing the leaf razor for a while now, as a head shaver. A while ago, I bought a stash of cartridge razors (bulk discount) for head shaving. I have been working through them (6 left) and a considering the leaf when they are finished. I can shave my head with a DE razor, but I have wrinkles and grooves in the back of my head and I have to be really careful with a DE razor. It take a long time and I am not patient with head shaves. What appeals to me about the leaf razor and is the ability to use desired blades, adjust the level of aggressiveness and that the pivoting head would mean that I could shave fast without worrying about cutting myself around my wrinkles and grooves. The high price tag is what is making me hesitate. I wonder how durable this razor is. I would say the failure point for this razor would be the spring. Once the spring fails, the head becomes floppy and useless. 

BTW, regarding shaving under the nose with the leaf razor, the previous version of this razor used to come with something called "twig". It was a prototype plastic fixed small head razor into which a half DE razor blade could be inserted. This could then be used to shave close to the nose and finish beard lines.

0 154