05-03-2020, 10:52 AM
User Info
For how long have you been into fragrances on a serious level ?
I would like to hear your story, and yes I’m addressing YOU :-)

I started at the age of 14 because the girls in my class were all dreaming of this stand-in teacher guy, and they all said he smelled so nice.
I had to ask the guy what fragrance he was wearing and it was Pierre Cardin Pour Homme.

I asked my mother to buy it for me, but I’m not sure I received quite the girl reactions I had hoped for LOL

Never the less this incident started my fragrance journey at the age of 14 back in the mid 1980’s.

I never looked back and at age 17 I had a collection of 25-30 full bottles, mostly after shave splashed from all the big names like Azzaro, Lagergeld, Rabanne, Burberry, YSL, Dior and many more.

In my 20’s I stopped collecting and focused on having 3-4 scents which I rotated from.

What brought me back to collecting again was my newly found interest in wet shaving. I had always wet shaved, but forums like this and others made it a hobby for me.

In 2011 I bought some shaving stuff from a danish online shop, and they shipped me a brand new 100 ml Acca Kappa 1869 edt fragrance. This scent reminded me of Dior Fahrenheit and this re-started my old interest in fragrances once again.
Within 1 year I had 70-80 full bottles of fragrance in my collection.

It actually honestly got out of control, and at one point I had 600 full 100-200 ml bottles of fragrances and 200-300 decants and samples in my wardrobe.

I have now slowed down once again.
I only buy fragrances I can test first and only scents I really long for in my collection.
I have sold some and use others as body spray with my natural scent less deodorants in my armpits.

I still own 300-400 fragrances, but I buy less than 5 fragrances a year now.

Let me hear your fragrance story !

25 6,937
 05-04-2020, 01:19 AM
User Info
I had worn edp since mid or end of university.
I shaved with Braun electric razors, eyes half closed and most of the time didn’t even use after shave.
(In between a year or two with cartridge razors, shaving cream or gel from cans. I was less than impressed with results, additional hassle and cost).
I never had more than one edp. It was like combing one’s hair or cutting one’s nails.
Just a part of daily routine, nothing of importance or special interest.
Nemo and Ultraviolet are edps I still can remember. 
I was angry when European distribution was stopped for Nemo and at another time for Ultraviolet, as this forced me to choose another edp.
For some time I wore Davidoff Zino and later Cool Water. Later Chanel Antaeus.
I never mixed or matched anything, always had deodorant, after shave and edp from the same line.

Some ten years ago out of curiosity I bought a Mühle brush, R89 razor and Weleda cream and balm. I liked the shaves but not the scent.
Brought Proraso from Italy (those artificial scents, meh).
From then on things came out of control.
I tried and liked D.R. Harris Windsor, full monty, and Terre d´Hermès full monty.
AdP sets. I bought soaps and tried to find matching after shaves and edps ... or the other way round.
A necessity got seriously bonkers then.
I started reading about edps, trying and finding things I liked.

While I still support the idea of a “signature scent”, a scent to match your personality, “your” scent to be found in your bathrobe, your pullovers, coats, whatever, which will make your significant other immediately think of you ... I prefer variety.

While my collection looks ridiculous next to Claus’, I do try to keep this under control.
I own maybe 20 different edps, mostly Creed, AdP, Penhaligon’s.

To some degree, it is a hobby. I like scents and their variations. 
I do try not to collect them, but only buy those I wear on a more or less regular basis.
To some degree, it is only part of my wardrobe.
Do I need more than some 20 edps?
I don’t think so. 

Most of the time I succeed with this approach. Not alwaysSmile

0 546
 05-04-2020, 06:40 AM
User Info
I got into the "hobby" aspect of fragrances only a few years ago.  When I was in high school and college (late 70's - mid 80's), I mostly just used aftershaves - primarily Avon (my mother happened to sell it for a while), Old Spice, and Aqua Velva.  I did however, wear a few fragrances on occasion:  Pierre Cardin Pour Monsieur,  Ralph Lauren's Chaps, and later, Drakkar Noir.   And I always liked, but could never afford back then, Aramis (which I do have now and still dig it).  I do remember several of the '80's powerhouses, but either didn't care for them (Kouros, for example), or just didn't really have an interest.

Fast forward to when I got into this wet-shaving hobby several years ago (although I had always shaved with a razor, albeit a cart, and even used Old Spice soap and a brush for a while in high school) , and I started to get educated and re-acquainted with fragrances.  Actually, my wife is partly to blame (although unwittingly), as she is the one that especially loved it when I wore Creed Imperial, and still says it's her favorite fragrance for me to wear (even though my current bottle batch is weak and fleeting compared to that first one I had - but that's for another thread).   Anyway, the last 3 years or so I've really fallen down the "rabbit hole" of sampling/acquiring/collecting - current fragrances, and especially vintage.  I'm now quite fond of those '70's and 80's fragrances. 

I admit that I have what I call the "collector gene", certainly with wet shaving gear and now fragrances, and tend to end up having way too much stuff that any one person could ever think of using in a lifetime.  But at some point, I'll finally know what I specifically like, and I'll start unloading stuff that I either don't use that much anymore, or is redundant, or I just didn't like that much - and that's what I did with my soaps, razors, brushes, strops.  But I haven't quite gotten to that point with fragrances yet (I'd say that I've got about 80 or so full bottles plus many samples) ; but it's getting close.  Admittedly, it is kind of ridiculous for me to have these many bottles, truth be told, because at my age, they will certainly out live me!   But I confess, I still am enjoying the ride thus far!

18 1,302
 05-04-2020, 08:30 AM
User Info
No bespoke here...
In the beginning Old Spice begat Brut begat Aqua Velva begat Hai Karate begat English Leather begat...
Gio
TDH
Maggard's Lilac
Black Ship Thomas Tew
Barrister & Mann Fougere
Stirling Arkadia
Penhaligon's Juniper Sling
Then 2 lived happily ever after, I hope:
DR Harris Arlington
Barrister & Mann Seville

69 2,044
 05-04-2020, 03:12 PM
User Info
I always loved the scent of a well groomed man and as I grew, wanted to be like my Dad and Grandpas.  When I started shaving it was Old Spice in several flavors.  As I got older and girls were more interesting, Jovan Grass Oil was my jam.  Loved that green top note and what I learned later was a dry down to musk and vetiver.  The Ladies liked it too.  Jovan Musk was a staple as was the old Brut.  Later on came Aramis and Polo Green and Chaps.  Had a great big old collection and my wife threw it all away and got me Drakkar Noir.  I wore it because she liked it but frankly cannot stomach the scent.  She's losing the battle though because I am building my collection again and she is finally seeing something other than that horrid Noir.  Vintage Aramis, Polo, Grass Oil, Musk Oil, Brut, and Shultons has partnered with more modern Green Tweed, Aventus, and perhaps the best scent of all time, Terre de Hermes.

6 568
 05-04-2020, 06:31 PM
  • evnpar
  • Emeritus
  • Portland, Oregon
User Info
I watched my father and grandfather shave in the 50's, started shaving in '62 and used what they used, Old Spice and Mennen's and a Gillette razor. I primarily used Old Spice and Skin Bracer aftershaves until the late 60's after returning from Vietnam and starting college. I primarily used Pierre Cardin throughout the 70's, then started also using Drakkar Noir. In the 90's I started wearing Italian shirts and clothes by Faconnable, and started using their cologne. It's a nice citrus scent, a little like AdP. Other than an occasional Creed or Guerlain that I received as a gift, I didn't start learning about fragrances, or "collecting" a couple dozen or so, until I started reading this thread several years ago. Many of my scents were purchased after reading what Claus said about them. He's also been kind to answer my occasional PM about them. So far he hasn't lead me wrong. I also have learned from a few others on this thread who seem to also be quite knowledgable. I'm getting too old to collect many more. I just wanted a variety to wear and enjoy. If I were younger I could easily go down the fragrance rabbit hole, but I've already done that enough with razors, brushes, and soaps.

39 6,299
 05-04-2020, 07:17 PM
User Info
Very interesting stories so far.
I really enjoy hearing how other Gentlemen began their fragrance journey.

For most of us on this forum, it will mostly have an angle towards wet shaving of course.

Wet shaving and after shave go hand in hand after all.
Before I started my own journey with fragrances at the age of 14 years old, I clearly remember my father using Old Spice, Brut and Tabac after shaves.

I also remember my older brother using Lagerfeld For Men, now called ‘Classic’ and I really enjoyed that powdery cosy warm scent. I own it today, but it’s not the same quality juice as back in the 1980’s, where my brother used it.
Both my father and brother only used deodorant and after shave as their fragrance and not actual perfume like in EDT and EDP. I think they felt it was too feminine for a guy to use perfume LOL

The weird thing is that father enjoys when an after shave is really strong and long lasting. I ask him why the heck he doesn’t get a real perfume in the same scent to get better longevity instead of pouring too strong after shave directly in his face. I never get a sound reply.
I use my after shave to calm and relax my face after the shave and it’s a nice bonus with a nice scent. But for my scent of the day I always use a perfume/real fragrance (EDC/EDT/EDP)

25 6,937
 06-20-2020, 05:29 PM
User Info
I have had a fragrance collection since 1982, probably around 10 favourite scents. In around 2008 I started concentrating on traditional eau de colognes and niche fragrances, only buying Chanel, Hermes, and Guerlain from the main industry players. Today I have 200 to 300. Every eau de cologne I can find from UK, France, Germany,  Italy, Spain, Portugal, Greece and Turkey. I have all of the mainstream EDT's for men launched until the early 70's, and then only Citrus scents.

To me fragrances are more to do with well-being and enjoying the apres bain experience whether then getting dressed and going out or slipping into my pj's at bedtime. To my father, fragrances were to be applied when going to annual dinner dances or family gatherings at restaurants.

0 318
 06-20-2020, 05:49 PM
User Info
My early favourites were:

Chanel Pour Monsieur - Chanel (1955)
Monsieur de Givenchy - Givenchy (1959)
Eau Sauvage - Christian Dior (1966)
Givenchy Gentleman - Givenchy (1974)
Xeryus - Givenchy (1986)
Fahrenheit - Christian Dior (1988)

0 318