09-27-2012, 12:49 PM
User Info
When the Tradere OC first came out, I immediately purchased one as I had been dying to try it out. Two days later straight from Phil I had Serial number 00012 sitting in my hand. Of course the first thing I did was shave with it using a Personna Red.

I was not at all impressed. I didn't like the handle, it just felt wrong. The shave itself was more aggressive than I wanted / needed no matter what angle I used. I had a few nicks and I seldom nick myself when taking any care at all when shaving. And worst of all, my skin felt terrible after the shave. Razor burn in some areas, bumps in others, I just did not look good.

I continued on with keeping it in my rotation as perhaps I just wasn't all that used to an OC (despite owning a Merkur 11c, iKon OSS and S3S ). However, no matter what I did, or what blade I used I was never happy with the results. Recently when looking at Phil's site I noticed the OC's were listed as "Gen 2". I made the assumption that Gen 2 was the production model and "Gen 1" must have been the prototype run. I e-mailed Phil, an a few minutes later I had a response that no, this was yet another set of tweaks to the OC to tame it a bit more. Of course I had to order one.

This afternoon my package arrived. I opened it up and looked at the head, it seemed the same to me. I grabbed the Gen one head out and compared the base plates with each other, and even standing the combs on a glass table I kept going back and forth in my head as to whether or not the combs looked any longer to me. In the end I decided they *must* be a bit longer, but certainly not by much. Not enough in my mind to make any significant difference. BTW, just as with the SB the new handle is a marked improvement over the original. I still am not all that fond of it compared to say a bulldog as I do not care for the widening at the end, but it is still much improved in my book.

I decided to give myself a nice pampering test run of the Gen 2. Shavemac Silvertip, Dirty Bird scuttle, Trumpers Lime cream, a personna red blade, and a good face washing and lots of hot water. In anticipation of receiving the razor today I did not shave yesterday so I had 2+ days of growth going. While my cheeks are not at all dense, the goatee and neck areas are.

The shave itself? Pretty aggressive. Still more aggressive than anything else I own baring setting a Futur or Vision on their most open positions. However, while maintaining its aggressiveness it just "felt" better. The OC cleaned through my growth effortlessly without causing any nicks at all. It handled well, finding the sweet spot was easy, and I was done on a two pass shave with some touchup done with the Tradere SB as I didn't want to chance a third pass on my first run with the razor. No nicks, no redness, no bumps, just a GREAT shave.

The real test came after a cold rinse. I chose to not use any alum and just go straight for the Trumpers Extract of Lime. If there was some skin irritation the splash would certainly point it out right away. There was some minor tingling, but nothing which makes one go "yikes".

In conclusion, while I really could not see any visual clues as to what has changed between Gen 1 and Gen 2 aside from what could be a VERY minor lengthening of the combs, it is like night and day to me.

Bring on the Tradere Slant !!

129 6,685
 09-27-2012, 01:18 PM
User Info
Doug, very nice review. Now, you have me intrigued as i had the same experience with the first generation OC; too aggressive, left me raw and just felt uncomfortable when shaving and i have tried many OCs and razors. Darn, i just picked up the SB model, now i may have to try this one! Oh boy! Does it ever end; the ADs.
By the way, good luck with the job situation. All the best, sir.

75 20,883
 09-27-2012, 01:31 PM
User Info
Due to my current situation, the only AD I have is for the Tradere Slant. I originally thought it was going to be a SB slant, but the last I saw from Phil was a an OC slant. If one of each are coming this year, one of my dogs is going to have to get a job.

129 6,685
 09-27-2012, 01:45 PM
User Info
Thanks for your input, Doug, and hopefully you find employment soon as i would not want to see your four-legged friend having to start work. Hee hee.

75 20,883
 09-27-2012, 01:54 PM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
Thank you for your first impressions of the Tradere 2nd Gen. In a previous thread I had given my evaluations of the Tradere orig oc and the 2nd gen. In another thread I used thanks to Phil the oc prototype. All three of these razors are so close together in performance its very hard to say which one is better. Its all IMHO. The only difference I see is handle size as the 2nd gen handle was shortened. Head configuration was tweaked to refine the shave in the 2nd gen( I think?).

100 12,438
 09-27-2012, 02:03 PM
User Info
I think "more refined" sums it up nicely. I saw the Prototype comparison but missed the gen1 vs gen2. The nice things with the Traderes is that I am enjoying them so much, most of the rest of my "expensive" hardware is getting sold off.

129 6,685