09-28-2012, 02:11 AM
User Info
We are bringing in some more rod soon, all weird & wonderful ...

We'll make a selection of favourite handle / hair combinations and you guys can have first dibs.

We'll not customize them for individuals per se, it will be whatever grabs your eye or fits ones budget.

Something off the wall for Christmas!!!

Cheers,

Mark

0 644
 09-28-2012, 02:51 AM
  • VTMAX
  • Banned
  • Woodstock, Vermont
User Info
Wow Mark! Having grown up on Simpson brushes I have to say this IS a departure but a really fun one at that! I have noticed some of the guys are really struck by that jade number. This combined with the new Simpson creams makes for an exciting holiday season indeed.

42 1,041
 09-28-2012, 05:48 AM
User Info
(09-28-2012, 02:11 AM)Simpson1919 Wrote: We are bringing in some more rod soon, all weird & wonderful ...

We'll make a selection of favourite handle / hair combinations and you guys can have first dibs.

We'll not customize them for individuals per se, it will be whatever grabs your eye or fits ones budget.

Something off the wall for Christmas!!!

Cheers,

Mark

Can't wait to add to the collection. Wink

4 156
 09-28-2012, 07:00 AM
User Info
I too am a traditionalist, but those are some great looking brushes. The Tiger pattern especially is fantastic.

3 460
 09-28-2012, 10:35 AM
User Info
They are quite beautiful. Something new to bring to the shaving table, so to say!

Today's shave consisted of:

[Image: 28septshave.JPG]

Simpson 57 Manchurian Tiger Stripe
Vintage Hoffritz Slant
Simpsons shaving cream
Floid Blue

I really enjoyed the manchurian 57. I face lathered because I wanted to see what all the fuss and controversy was about. I have an extremely sensitive face as I had stated earlier, so I was a bit nervous with it having more scritch than the 2 Bands I love so much. My first pass the brush felt amazing. Worked the cream into a beautiful slick protecting lather. After I had completed my first wtg pass, I definitely felt the scritch in the tips. It wasn't too much but it was there and enjoyable to a degree. The manchurians hold water like it's nobodies business! Barely had to add anything to it, just wetting my face between passes. Love the feel and can't wait to break it in some more. So far though, I'm not going to jump to a conclusion and say it's dethroning my 2 bands. Wink

Wish someone was closer to me who had some experience with the Manchurians to determine if these are softer than what others are reporting, lol. They sure feel soft to me, but again, I have a sensitive face which could feel the difference of the brush between passes. I can't even use the Best grades as my face turns red and feels burned after. No problems with the 2 and 3 band super... Hopefully I continue to enjoy the Manchurians and they break in well.

Teiste, up for a review perhaps? lol

4 156
 09-28-2012, 07:09 PM
User Info
Every time I see that brush, it's just crazy looking!

Re: Teiste,
I hear that if you send it, he will review it. I'm not sure how true it is, but that's what the grapevine tells me.

9 3,050
 09-28-2012, 07:30 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
A review of what?Mike have already make one of his first impressions of that brush.
Thanks Mike!

92 7,252
 10-02-2012, 11:33 AM
  • mikeperry
  • St Louis via the UK
User Info
Hi Mike

Three beautiful shaving brushes there, but the 57 in Jade is truly stunning Babeando A47 Babeando

Take care, Mike

23 1,872
 10-02-2012, 11:34 AM
User Info
beautiful brushes!

enjoy in good health

14 211
 10-03-2012, 04:43 AM
User Info
Thanks guys!

I've been enjoying the 57 Tiger in Manchurian. Haven't tried the others yet as I'm getting a good feel for the Manchurian hair before I move on to the 2-band which is currently my favorite.

The Tiger 57 is surprising me. I'm actually finding the Manchurian a lot softer than I expected given the many reviews around here.

I'm worried about the Tulip though, as it's much denser and I think that'll make it a bit scratchy. But I guess that's to be determined.

4 156
 10-04-2012, 01:55 PM
User Info
Beautiful brushes, I may have to order a nice Manchurian for myself for Christmas from Mark!

4 32
 10-04-2012, 05:19 PM
User Info
What differences would you note between the Manchurian Badger Hair and high-grade Silvertip Hair? Have you used any of the Simpsons Chubby brushes - if so how would you compare these to them?

Thanks for your photos and info!

0 95
 10-04-2012, 07:13 PM
User Info
(10-04-2012, 05:19 PM)raag Wrote: What differences would you note between the Manchurian Badger Hair and high-grade Silvertip Hair? Have you used any of the Simpsons Chubby brushes - if so how would you compare these to them?

My experience with what I consider to be high grade Silver-tip extends through Simpson (2 and 3 band), Shavemac (2 and 3 band D01), M&F (2 and 3 band blonde), and Rooney Heritage 2 Band. Outside of those that I consider high grade are Rodney Neeps 3 band extra silver tip and TGN/Whipped Dog brushes.

So obviously there's more out there than what I've tried. If I had to compare the Simpson Manchurian, I'd say it's a very... What's the best way I can put this... Deceptive, type of hair. It's difficult to compare it to any of those top echelon brush makers I listed above, as each size Manchurian knot has the attributes of another manufacturers brush.

When I say deceptive, I don't mean in a negative way. I mean in a way that it'll surprise you, both in a luxurious feel and if you want it, can offer some nice exfoliation. That's exactly the surprise... That the hair has a huge range to it. Which to reiterate, the range I'm speaking of is in the scritch, or roughness.

You've seen the two Manchurian brushes I have. My Tiger Stripe 57 and my Tulip 3. The two brushes are NOTHING alike, but from the same batch of hair best I can tell. That right there is the deception.

The 57 is soft, almost 2 band Simpson soft (Which is my current favorite knot). But on the other hand, the Tulip is almost too much for me. The scritch and backbone make that a borderline brush for me, in that I have extremely sensitive skin and I am afraid to use it. Maybe it'll be softer when wet? I really haven't given it a proper chance yet.

As a comparison, I CANNOT use Simpson best hair. My experience with that has been a raw face with 3 brushes. Lots of irritation and redness. (Some say their Best Simpsons have soft almost Super hair. I have not experienced this yet.)

Some people enjoy scritch and would truly feel like a thick Manchurian is a treat. And it is in fact a treat when you have the right combination that works for YOU. (IE: Skin that can handle it, or the need for a bit of scritch in your brush). I without a shadow of a doubt, LOVE my Tiger Stripe Manchurian. It's got the perfect balance for me (Though still in testing. Without fully breaking it in, which I'm working on, it has not taken the place of my 2 bands.)

I guess I can sum on the Simpson Manchurian hair like this. It's a whole new beast of a knot. It's truly a high class knot and you get what you pay for. Some serious back bone with great qualities. Excellent flow throw, easy to load, and excellent to apply lather. Depending on how much scritch you like in a brush, you'll have to decide what the right size knot is for you. A smaller knot still feels large, and a large knot is a major soap eater. Manchurian hair is something special, but be careful with which brush you order with it. Though you might TYPICALLY enjoy large brushes, be aware the the smaller knots offer a softer feel and the same performance as a large. Larger knots offer more scritch but insane lather making abilities, which the same excellent performance.

4 156
 10-04-2012, 07:38 PM
User Info
(10-04-2012, 05:19 PM)raag Wrote: What differences would you note between the Manchurian Badger Hair and high-grade Silvertip Hair? Have you used any of the Simpsons Chubby brushes - if so how would you compare these to them?

Totally different hair. Any comparison is like comparing a motorcycle to a car.

9 3,050