05-09-2020, 08:27 AM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
Now that things are starting to open up again in Europe, we will soon begin production of the Zeppelin razor. The prototype shown below had a dual head with two different levels of aggression. I am still debating whether to have two levels of aggression in one razor or to have separate milder and more aggressive razors. What are your thoughts?

[Image: DR1AAVB.jpg]

53 21,655
 05-09-2020, 08:40 AM
  • DayMan
  • Tennessee
User Info
I can see the advantages of a different aggression level on each side, but I like 2 separate razors better. I had an adjustable razor once, but I never changed the settings once I found the one I liked. It seems like there are more people ordering Wolfman razors with 2 levels of aggression, but that may have more to do with wait time than preference.

3 727
 05-09-2020, 09:11 AM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
User Info
(05-09-2020, 08:40 AM)DayMan Wrote: I can see the advantages of a different aggression level on each side, but I like 2 separate razors better. I had an adjustable razor once, but I never changed the settings once I found the one I liked. It seems like there are more people ordering Wolfman razors with 2 levels of aggression, but that may have more to do with wait time than preference.

My preference is for two separate razors too but, I was not sure what the demand would be for Dual heads. Perhaps I can offer all three options if there is demand. We shall see.

53 21,655
 05-09-2020, 09:17 AM
User Info
I vote for separate medium and aggressive razors, like the Rocnel Elite 2019 LE.  I've never cared for dual heads, nor seen a need to change the level of the razor's aggressiveness during the shave.  With a dual head razor, I'll end up always using the same side and only one edge of the blade.

60 10,551
 05-09-2020, 09:56 AM
  • NJDJ
  • New Jersey
User Info
I much prefer uniform levels of aggression and comb.

36 1,084
 05-09-2020, 10:06 AM
User Info
I also never liked dual heads. For OC/SB heads, at least you can easily tell the difference between the two sides. If the only difference was blade gap/aggressiveness, it would make shaving tricky since you would have to stop and carefully check which side you are using between passes/rinses. I like not having to worry about which side of the razor I'm using during the shave.

8 127
 05-09-2020, 10:44 AM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
User Info
(05-09-2020, 10:06 AM)vadim Wrote: I also never liked dual heads. For OC/SB heads, at least you can easily tell the difference between the two sides. If the only difference was blade gap/aggressiveness, it would make shaving tricky since you would have to stop and carefully check which side you are using between passes/rinses. I like not having to worry about which side of the razor I'm using during the shave.

Fernando did a good job of making sure you could tell the different between the two sides by using a ridged safety bar on one side and a smooth safety bar on the other.  I never had an issue of not knowing which side was which.

53 21,655
 05-09-2020, 10:50 AM
User Info
Trying to remember which side of the blade was on which side of the head to even out the blade wear would drive me crazy.

1 644
 05-09-2020, 10:52 AM
User Info
My money would be on separate razors, but if you're pondering offering mild and aggressive heads, then perhaps offering a third (dual) head might be an option? No idea how the math and cost would play out.

3 7,285
 05-09-2020, 11:26 AM
User Info
I remember seeing dual head (open/closed-comb) DE’s and thinking, that feels like a passing trend. With regards to differing aggressiveness I wonder why someone wouldn’t just go for an adjustable. It’s difficult for me to find a lasting use for dual heads (though to be fair, I’m only using SE’s now).

36 2,147
 05-09-2020, 11:48 AM
User Info
imho, ymmv
If one side were OC and the other SB then OK, easy to differentiate sides. Also easy to guess aggressiveness too. I'm in.

67 1,982
 05-09-2020, 12:28 PM
  • Harvey
  • North Hills CA
User Info
GIBBS razors had one with a +/-  (plus/minus) symbol on the top plate but it takes only GIBBS special DE blades and/or modified DE blades.

6 2,188
 05-09-2020, 01:03 PM
  • garyg
  • Great Lakes
User Info
I'd rather that both sides of a DE shaved the same, in my opinion the duallies are just too cutesy.  And once an individual has slotted their shave into one or the other side he's giving away 50% of his edges .. or is forced to either compromise the shave or remember to take it apart & flip the blade around.

Maybe I'm too simple ..

73 729
 05-09-2020, 01:37 PM
  • RyznRio
  • Connecticut
User Info
(05-09-2020, 10:52 AM)WegianWarrior Wrote: My money would be on separate razors, but if you're pondering offering mild and aggressive heads, then perhaps offering a third (dual) head might be an option? No idea how the math and cost would play out.

I go for separate razors as well, but has this type of razor come up in your patent searches?  other than the Gibbs that was mentioned and the OC/SB. I have never seen a Gibbs or any other vintage dual aggressiveness vintage razor.

0 482
 05-09-2020, 02:04 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
User Info
(05-09-2020, 01:37 PM)RyznRio Wrote:
(05-09-2020, 10:52 AM)WegianWarrior Wrote: My money would be on separate razors, but if you're pondering offering mild and aggressive heads, then perhaps offering a third (dual) head might be an option? No idea how the math and cost would play out.

I go for separate razors as well, but has this type of razor come up in your patent searches?  other than the Gibbs that was mentioned and the OC/SB. I have never seen a Gibbs or any other vintage dual aggressiveness vintage razor.

I’m pretty sure Wolfman offers a dual head option and others undoubtedly do as well. As for vintage, the only one that I am aware of is Gibbs.

53 21,655
 05-09-2020, 06:17 PM
User Info
The nice aspect of a dual head design is fixed adjustability. I’m a two pass shaver on most days and when I use an adjustable razor the aggressive side is used on the first pass WTG followed by the less aggressive side going ATG. Using one razor is more convenient than using two.

5 27
 05-09-2020, 06:37 PM
  • chazt
  • Queens, NY
User Info
I enjoy my iKon B1 OSS quite a bit. There is a discernible and appreciated difference between the comb and bar sides of the head. I like the fact that the solid bar side is exceptionally mild. It is gentle enough to easily use around my ears. The open comb side is also mild but more efficient. The dual faceted head doesn’t bother me. I use the open comb for the first pass and the solid side for the second pass and touch ups. The blade is used evenly that way, too. It’s really not a problem at all. Is it a bit gimmicky? Yeah, maybe. But it’s highly functional and is very unique on my shelf. I also like the way razorock has done it with the game changer line. I interchange three different game changer base plates depending upon the shave I seek. This is also an appreciated and functional design. Let’s not forget that the Asylum Evolution eventually was as fitted with the Turbo option. Were you and your customers pleased with that? I seem to remember seeing many positive comments on that subject.

19 4,550
 05-09-2020, 10:47 PM
  • SCOV
  • Minnesota
User Info
Gustavo shared the idea with myself (and guessing many others) years ago.  I tried to be polite and neutral.  Then a year or so ago, I bought the V2 Zeppelin - and wow - great razor and idea. There is a time and place where two levels of aggressiveness is useful (touchup, ATG, sensitive area, bad whisker day, etc).  Easy to look in the mirror and tell which side.  

The majority of us have adapted techniques to use one razor for the entire shave.  For those that like easy adjustability, nice concept.  The downside is some may find one edge "too mild" or "too aggressive" and never use that side.

I like the concept and execution.

17 967
 05-10-2020, 03:36 AM
User Info
Nope. Not interested in dual comb or dual gap...at all. Uneven blade wear is not something I want to be concerned with.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

2 147
 05-10-2020, 08:41 AM
  • Harvey
  • North Hills CA
User Info
Just thinking being in lockdown...if you have 2 heads or a split personality the razor could solve your issues......feeling aggressive..Kick Ass side....feeling calm use the soothing side...oh well trying to help ...have fun !!!!!

6 2,188