05-11-2020, 02:51 PM
User Info
Seems Walgreens is selling a new Gillette DE razor, the King C Gillette.  Looks like another 89 clone (E.J./Muhle) in different packaging and with new Gillette blades (at least the packaging is new to match that of the razor).  Anybody heard of this or seen it?

0 11
 05-23-2020, 02:29 PM
User Info
(05-11-2020, 02:51 PM)Gojirasaurus Wrote: Seems Walgreens is selling a new Gillette DE razor, the King C Gillette.  Looks like another 89 clone (E.J./Muhle) in different packaging and with new Gillette blades (at least the packaging is new to match that of the razor).  Anybody heard of this or seen it?
I picked one up after seeing an online review by kensurfs on you tube. I haven't used it yet, but it looks nice.

Sent from my H1A1000 using Tapatalk

0 3
 05-23-2020, 02:46 PM
  • SCOV
  • Minnesota
User Info
Google "king c gillette".

New complete line of shaving products including:  DE razor, 5 blade cartridge razor, electric beard trimmer, bead oil, etc.  I did notice some DE blades in the background.

17 967
 05-23-2020, 05:37 PM
User Info
The new DE is marketed as a hair lining tool.

I guess P&G wants people to buy their new razor, but not lose their cartridge profits.

Sent from my H1A1000 using Tapatalk

0 3
 05-23-2020, 07:20 PM
User Info
This may be a version of the Gillette razor we discussed here:

http://shavenook.com/showthread.php?tid=59321

60 10,559
 05-23-2020, 07:55 PM
User Info
(05-23-2020, 07:20 PM)TheLegalRazor Wrote: This may be a version of the Gillette razor we discussed here:

http://shavenook.com/showthread.php?tid=59321
Not the same but yes another Muhle x89 type.[Image: a4c13283e9b0feee8334e5a870d8674b.jpg]

Sent from my LG-US998 using Tapatalk

2 444
 05-24-2020, 04:11 AM
  • SCOV
  • Minnesota
User Info
 05-26-2020, 05:35 PM
  • MrGuy
  • Black Hills of SD
User Info
I sort of “accidentally” bought one of these this evening while cooperating with the one way social distancing isles. Hadn’t planned to go down the shave section, but needed use that isle to get to the back of the store. My initial thoughts (opinions only) are that it’s definitely less of a novelty razor than the tribute razor, or what ever they’re calling it. Solid handle rather than hollow gives it a decent feel, although there really doesn’t seem like much grip will be available when wet. A nice laser engraved logo on the cap, not so big or ugly that it detracts from the look but slightly subtle. Gives the impression they actually want to be associated with the razor. The chrome finish seems very well done, the tribute razor has kind of an over the top costume jewelry look to it for some reason. Maybe it’s just the texture of the handle, I don’t know. The tribute felt like a lot more effort went into the box and the razor was an afterthought. I’m a little disappointed neither razor picked up any dating, especially the tribute, but I’m sure the heads were contracted in bulk for the lowest cost possible.
Anyway, the text on the back does indicate it’s the perfect tool for edging sideburns and for strong beard lines, no mention of actually shaving proper with it.
I don’t know, maybe Gillette is dipping their toes a little further in the DE water again to see if it’s going to be profitable on a larger scale.

For anyone interested, blades made in Russia and handle made in China, according to the box.

EDIT: For some reason I was thinking the tribute razor (I really need to take a second to actually verify what they’re calling it!) had a hollow handle. I’m incorrect, mostly. Mine looks like the internal hole for the threads goes about half way down the handle, but the remaining handle material appears to be solid. Very, very light, but still solid.

1 101
 05-27-2020, 01:39 PM
User Info
For me this razor is not as efficient as a DE89 or a Merkur 34C but the shave is certainly safe, the results are good enough, and the finish is remarkably good.  I think Gillette nailed their target market with this one.

6 567
 05-27-2020, 10:55 PM
User Info
(05-26-2020, 05:35 PM)MrGuy Wrote: I sort of “accidentally” bought one of these this evening while cooperating with the one way social distancing isles. Hadn’t planned to go down the shave section, but needed use that isle to get to the back of the store. My initial thoughts (opinions only) are that it’s definitely less of a novelty razor than the tribute razor, or what ever they’re calling it. Solid handle rather than hollow gives it a decent feel, although there really doesn’t seem like much grip will be available when wet. A nice laser engraved logo on the cap, not so big or ugly that it detracts from the look but slightly subtle. Gives the impression they actually want to be associated with the razor. The chrome finish seems very well done, the tribute razor has kind of an over the top costume jewelry look to it for some reason. Maybe it’s just the texture of the handle, I don’t know. The tribute felt like a lot more effort went into the box and the razor was an afterthought. I’m a little disappointed neither razor picked up any dating, especially the tribute, but I’m sure the heads were contracted in bulk for the lowest cost possible.
Anyway, the text on the back does indicate it’s the perfect tool for edging sideburns and for strong beard lines, no mention of actually shaving proper with it.
I don’t know, maybe Gillette is dipping their toes a little further in the DE water again to see if it’s going to be profitable on a larger scale.

For anyone interested, blades made in Russia and handle made in China, according to the box.

EDIT: For some reason I was thinking the tribute razor (I really need to take a second to actually verify what they’re calling it!) had a hollow handle. I’m incorrect, mostly. Mine looks like the internal hole for the threads goes about half way down the handle, but the remaining handle material appears to be solid. Very, very light, but still solid.

The tribute razor is the Gillette "Heritage"

3 35
 05-28-2020, 03:50 AM
  • MrGuy
  • Black Hills of SD
User Info
(05-27-2020, 10:55 PM)The_SwampFox Wrote: The tribute razor is the Gillette "Heritage"

Thank you! I don’t know why that name completely left my mind. If only I had some sort of device that could access a global database while on the move. (Insert your preferred Captain Picard face-palm clip here)

1 101
 07-12-2020, 08:27 AM
  • ischiapp
  • Forio d'Ischia, Naples, Italy
User Info
I'm not that sure the new Procter & Gamble King C. Gillette at Walgreens is the best choice.
Looks less balanced than the Edwin Jagger DE89 / Muehle R89.
And less efficient, with a little more effectiveness but less comfort.
I can feel the blade chattering from here ...
Not for me.

[Image: HiOSLJu.jpg]

Same thing as the Heritage.

[Image: 4rHfhaD.jpg]

0 2,318
 07-13-2020, 08:30 PM
User Info
I picked up mine after stopping by a Walgreens while out running errands. Last one left on the shelf. I've been curious and wanted a reasonably priced addition in my rotation.

My go-to is a Merkur 34c, and I have 2 vintage Gillettes (flare tip & travel tech), plus a OneBlade Core, so those are my comparison razors (don't like the Core and will PIF or trade it).

To get a true feel for the razor itself I loaded it with a favorite mild blade, Lord SS. It feels well balanced if a bit top heavy, although that seems to help it provide good feedback. Along with the Lord, I could hear the whiskers being cut, and feel it too (as opposed to a recent blade I used in the Merkur where, on the 2cd shave, I had to check to see if I forgot to put a blade in). 

The good weight/balance of the handle & head also help the razor to move over the face without any feeling or desire to add pressure. It hits its sweet spot fairly easily.

I have no problem at all grasping the razor, be it wet with water or slippery with soap. I think the weight, length, and balance help with that. It has a solid feel in the fingers/hand.

I'm 2 shaves in and would recommend this for fans of a mild razor, or for newbies. I've been using DEs for 6 months. No nicks, weepers, or irritation with the KCG. On the first shave I pushed it during a 3 pass on 3 day growth to see if it remained mild, and it did.

After I finish with the Lord, I'll try it with the blades in the package.
[Image: Vf6ne9B.jpg]
[Image: wfFltEX.jpg]
[Image: 46hWlBX.jpg]

0 50
 07-14-2020, 09:37 AM
  • SCOV
  • Minnesota
User Info
Nice write-up and review.

17 967
 07-14-2020, 10:39 AM
  • ischiapp
  • Forio d'Ischia, Naples, Italy
User Info
(07-13-2020, 08:30 PM)Leo501 Wrote: It feels well balanced if a bit top heavy ...
Looking at the photos, I never would have said.
I'd like to read the dimensions:
• handle length
• handle diameter
• handle weight
• total length
• total weight

0 2,318