05-16-2020, 01:10 PM
User Info
I have a stainless steel Carbon incoming soon with the standard SS base plate as well as a ++ plate. I was thinking of using a Gillette Rubie or Gillette Nacet first with this razor and because I have seen some of Ols67 sotd photos, he has inspired me to use a few vintage blades. If you wouldn't mind mentioning which Carbon you have and what you like the most when it comes to blades. I usually try to shave with more growth as opposed to shaving daily in case you want to recommend me a certain blade.

Thanks everyone and cheers!

87 1,801
 05-17-2020, 03:29 AM
User Info
Standard plate. Have found that the polsilver and wizamet are great with the Carbon. Would also recommend a Kai and a feather also when you feel you need a bit more. Looking forward to trying the + and ++ plates on the pass around.

0 51
 05-18-2020, 01:34 AM
User Info
(05-17-2020, 03:29 AM)Darktrader Wrote: Standard plate. Have found that the polsilver and wizamet are great with the Carbon. Would also recommend a Kai and a feather also when you feel you need a bit more. Looking forward to trying the + and ++ plates on the pass around.

Darktrader, thank you very much for your post. I think I am going with a Kai first and the 2nd/3rd will be Wizamet and Pol Silver Super Iridium. I will have my first shave using the standard gap that comes with the SS head and then later next week I will use the ++ plate. I will share my experience in this thread. Thanks again for your input

87 1,801
 05-18-2020, 09:46 PM
  • Mr_Smartepants
  • Cambridgeshire, UK (CONUS post address)
User Info
I've used GSB, feather, astra, and wizamet blades and definitely prefer wizamets in my Carbon CX.

49 2,170
 05-19-2020, 04:39 PM
User Info
I have the Ti Cx with the ++ SS baseplate and just got a wonderful 2 pass BBS using Persona Israeli Reds

34 672
 05-19-2020, 05:18 PM
User Info
(05-19-2020, 04:39 PM)Shavemd Wrote: I have the Ti Cx with the ++ SS baseplate and just got a wonderful 2 pass BBS using Persona Israeli Reds

Thanks for your comment. You can see my sotd video in the SOTD thread from today. Sean made mention of your blade recommendations and I would say my thought was that the Red pack Personna and Kai might perform similarly on my face. I find both VERY smooth, but without careful attention to angle and pressure the sharpness will get you good. I still would say they are both really great blades in most razors I have tried them in. I didn't like Kai blades in the BBS-1 though.

If you get a chance to watch the video, I would be curious on what you think of the shave angle. By the way, for instance, with your shave mentioned above, what do you do for your first pass and second pass?

I did with the grain on the entire face, second pass was across the grain on my face but went against the grain on the neck for the second pass. I have been holding off on my normal against the grain first pass.

Great razor head and design in the geometry. Can't wait to shave again with it.

87 1,801
 05-20-2020, 02:58 PM
User Info
@zaclikestoshave that is a little to steep for me. I prefer to bring the handle out to about 30 degrees so I am riding both the top cap and guard. I know some like to shave steep but for me I get a much cleaner shave my way. Also I skin stretch like as if I was using a straight razor. I did a WTG the ATG shave

34 672