05-19-2020, 03:26 AM
  • Gago
  • Rio de Janeirto
User Info
Hi all!

I recently bought a ADP shaving cream tub, in the previous packaging, via an online retailer, that upon arrival, surprised me for the worst.

The performance was normal enough, as in I never used the tub before and the (at least previous) jar wasn't properly a magnificent performer in the first place...

But what puzzled me the most was the complete absence of fragrance in it, since the previous jar smelled wonderfully. Could they be so much different ?

Then I realized something in the tub that MAYBE could explain this; a code saying 1998Y. Could this be... Year 1998? As in manufactured in 1998?

I found nothing about in the net so I sent an email to the store asking for clarification, but they, after two whole weeks, they simply said that it was supposed to be used 12 months after opened. Well... Thanks for nothing, since this information is very clear in the packaging, what is not clear is the date of manufacture, hence my question in the first place!

I'll hold the name of the retailer for now since I don't want to bash anyone without proper clarification, but I'm very upset by it all. Of course I knew, just by viewing the image in the website, that it must be an older product since the new ones come in a very different yellow packaging, and I intentionally bought this version since FWIK the new ones doesn't smell like the original collezione Barbieri, but, if they're selling 1998 creams, that strike me of kinda fishy, seems to be a awfull lot of time to retail something, under sale or not, since they did not provide this information beforehand.

Of course, I could be in the wrong here and this code means nothing of the sort, so I figured I could ask you guys!

[Image: 4290c34ee131444240e99a06a74c7eac.jpg][Image: e59b2753f3214a5b6da1f62007e5331c.jpg]

Enviado do meu SM-G9650 através do Tapatalk

4 451
 05-19-2020, 05:38 AM
User Info
What was the consistency of the cream? Was it as soft as one would normally expect?

60 10,551
 05-19-2020, 08:51 AM
  • Gago
  • Rio de Janeirto
User Info
(05-19-2020, 05:38 AM)TheLegalRazor Wrote: What was the consistency of the cream? Was it as soft as one would normally expect?
Yes, it is pretty much a normal consistency, neither runny or dried up.

4 451
 05-19-2020, 09:21 AM
User Info
If the cream was from 1998,  I would expect it to be dried out.   However, if the consistency was still normal, I would also expect some scent.  You have a perplexing issue.  The seller should be able to at least tell you when he bought the cream from AdP or the distributor.

60 10,551
 05-19-2020, 09:39 AM
User Info
I think - gut feeling and all that - that what you have there is a batch code and not a year; in my experience manufacturers try to divide a date code into smaller unit that a whole year.

Granted, it's not that much better if I'm right - according to a website I found (https://cosmetic.momoko.hk/en/Acqua%20di%20Parma), 1998Y means that it's from 2011. Granted, that website might be off the wall etc.; a better source for date might be tied to the reference id printed on the tub (51009). Anyone know the contact information to the company so we can ask?

3 7,285
 05-19-2020, 12:04 PM
  • Gago
  • Rio de Janeirto
User Info
(05-19-2020, 09:39 AM)WegianWarrior Wrote: I think - gut feeling and all that - that what you have there is a batch code and not a year; in my experience manufacturers try to divide a date code into smaller unit that a whole year.

Granted, it's not that much better if I'm right - according to a website I found (https://cosmetic.momoko.hk/en/Acqua%20di%20Parma), 1998Y means that it's from 2011. Granted, that website might be off the wall etc.; a better source for date might be tied to the reference id printed on the tub (51009). Anyone know the contact information to the company so we can ask?
Knowing that the new formulations are from , i believe, somewhere near 2012/13, 2011 makes total sense, actually. Thanks for the weblink BTW.

In this case i shouldn't be mad at the retailer because i was fully aware that being the old package, it must have some good years in it's back. But i should also point that, for someone less informed in shaving products than me, this would absolutely take one by surprise , as it was never mentioned in the product description. The retailer currently does not have a single AdP product in his website so i think they got rid of everything in the last sale.

Considering some old products i have/had , 9 years still seems little time for a cream to lose scent so badly anyway, so it makes me think... Does this cream in a tube had any smell in the first place? It smells nothing like the jar, I bet that if I grab a AdP jar from 2010 right now, it would still smells great...

4 451
 05-19-2020, 01:18 PM
  • Steve56
  • Knoxville, TN
User Info
If it’s Colonia in a brown tub with a chrome top, it’s the first version, Colonia scented. If it’s Collezione Barbiere in a brown tub with a brown top it’s a light aquatic fragrance, not Colonia. If it’s the latest version in the yellow tub it’s Colonia scent and the best of all 3 IMO.

[Image: B8uX9gp.jpg]

9 843
 05-19-2020, 02:28 PM
User Info
The fact is, nothing lasts forever and that includes AdP. I have a tub of the original formula and it's become fairly firm...although it hasn't lost its scent.

83 6,347
 05-20-2020, 09:19 AM
  • Nero
User Info
I've had MANY jars and tubes of the original formula. Their scent spoiled in many of them. To the point I was giving them away for free at one point.

98 4,141