05-25-2020, 05:59 PM
  • MrGuy
  • Black Hills of SD
User Info
About 15 years ago I gave up trying to find my “Holy Grail” of razors, a razor belonging to a family member as their daily razor. I asked my grandpas about any old razors they might have stashed away anywhere, and both gave a little laugh and said, in a remarkably similar fashion, “I threw all those things away before you were born”.
Well, a couple months ago my 90 year old grandpa on my dad’s side passed away and things have been moving very slowly, given the current goings ons. An aunt has been going through his house of over 50 years since that week. This past Saturday my aunts and uncles were able to bury his ashes on a family plot which is located on reservation land, they finally got permission from the tribe for just the 10 of them to be able to hold a small ceremony. Dad called today and asked if he could drop off a couple things of grandpa’s my daughter might like. He gave us a crochet blanket my great-grandma made, and a crochet hat my other great-grandma, grandpa’s mom, made. Then he asked if I still collected old razors. I said yes and he told me my aunt thought I should have something. He handed me a sparkling clean F-3 “Fat Boy” adjustable and an open Gillette Thin Blade box with 3 unused blades dated U-3 remaining. I asked if she bought them or if they were grandpa’s. She found them in an old shoebox grandpa had stuffed to the back of a shelf in his closet, along with some other items they remember him using.
The razor still had a rusted out blade loaded, but there is just the slightest bit of buildup at the very bottom of the handle. It looks like he loaded up a new blade one morning and just decided he was done with DE shaving on the spot.
In the end, the razor itself isn’t anything unusual or all that old, really. But it was my grandpa’s razor and blades, and now they’re mine. I’m certainly going to use one of the three Thin blades for the first shave with it, then I don’t know. I’m not the biggest fan of the Fat Boys, but I can see this razor getting pretty regular use and a spot front and center in my display when I pick up something else.

1 101
 05-25-2020, 06:33 PM
  • chazt
  • Queens, NY
User Info
Condolences on the loss of your grandfather. Losing a family member is never easy, and certainly during Covid times it’s confounded and compounded. On a cheerier note, as we are of course interested in your gear acquisition story,,, that’s a good one for sure. You should use the Fatboy for a month straight, just because! Enjoy your shaves Smile

19 4,559
 05-25-2020, 06:59 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
This razor will definitely have special meaning to you. I’m with Charlie... use it for a month straight to learn its Ins, outs and quirks. I am sorry for your loss.

53 21,655
 05-25-2020, 07:06 PM
User Info
I'm sorry about yours loss.

That razor is priceless.  It deserves regular use.

60 10,557
 05-26-2020, 10:53 AM
User Info
Excellent post!  Sorry for your loss but it is awesome to have something of his.

6 567
 05-26-2020, 11:45 AM
  • Sully
  • Super Moderator
  • Cedar Park, Texas
User Info
Sorry for your loss.  Enjoy the razor!

12 2,408
 05-26-2020, 03:51 PM
  • MrGuy
  • Black Hills of SD
User Info
Thanks for the kind words everyone!
Looks like I didn’t explain my expectations with the razor very well. I’ve used several Fat Boys and have a pretty solid idea how it will perform, strictly speaking from the results view. Of course the Thin blades will throw in a wildcard for however many shaves I get out of one. The experience is something I haven’t even given a moment’s thought about in years, and even when I did I never imagined I’d get the razor in this kind of situation. I have no idea what the experience will be like and can’t even begin to make a guess on how it will go, but I have a feeling it will be an experience I’ll go back for often.

The downside of the current situation, I pinched my finger in the car trunk last night and pulled off a pretty substantial chunk of meat when I pulled my hand back! Have to give it a few days to heal up a bit before getting the wound as wet as a shave will make it. Oh well. I’ve waited this long, another several days won’t hurt anything Smile

1 101
 05-26-2020, 04:03 PM
  • chazt
  • Queens, NY
User Info
Ouch! Andy, heal quickly. Good luck and feel better Smile

19 4,559
 05-26-2020, 04:34 PM
  • pbrmhl
  • Seattle
User Info
That is truly a grail find, Andy. Sorry for your loss, but you can remember your loved one every time you use that razor. Be safe.

17 728
 05-28-2020, 02:47 PM
User Info
I have my late father's Aristocrat Slim bought as a present for him by his younger brother(also now passed away) in 1969 from South Africa.  Priceless razor for our family.  My younger son has it and uses it when he shaves.

1 644
 05-28-2020, 04:44 PM
  • MrGuy
  • Black Hills of SD
User Info
(05-28-2020, 02:47 PM)bkatbamna Wrote: I have my late father's Aristocrat Slim bought as a present for him by his younger brother(also now passed away) in 1969 from South Africa.  Priceless razor for our family.  My younger son has it and uses it when he shaves.

That’s awesome! I hope that razor stays a family treasure for many generations to come.

1 101
 06-05-2020, 07:29 PM
User Info
Sorry to hear about your loss.  My heartfelt condolences.  The fatboy is a great razor and I have one which is 1958 I think.  (Date code is D4).  Enjoy great shaves with the fatboy.  I never had a chance to shave with Gillette Thin blade.  I think they are rare to come by.

0 5