05-27-2020, 08:02 PM
User Info
Hey! I've never ordered dishes from online shops and I need your feedback if you have such experience.
I want to purchase an induction wok. Currently choosing out of these options, any suggestions? 
Also, I'll be glad if you advise me a good online shop for buying dishes. Thanks

0 2
 05-28-2020, 03:51 AM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
  • 44.4899° south of the North Pole
User Info
(05-27-2020, 08:02 PM)Kifear Wrote: Hey! I've never ordered dishes from online shops and I need your feedback if you have such experience.
I want to purchase an induction wok. Any suggestions? 
Also, I'll be glad if you advise me a good online shop for buying dishes. Thanks

We converted to induction in 1999, and it is wonderful.  We never shall go back.

However:  woks are induction's Kryptonite (ancient Superman reference).  The magnetic field drops off rapidly with distance from the induction coil underneath the Schott Ceran layer of the cooktop.  

The joy of wok cooking is that you have a surface with a temperature gradient that can range from very hot at the center to merely keep-warm near the edge, and a skilled cook can move the meat or vegetables around the pan in a way that optimizes the amount of braising or cook-to-the-core for each of the various pieces in the wok.  A flame-type burner (natural gas, propane, or even coal or wood fueled) can be set so that the flames lap up the sides of a wok to get the wok hot edge to edge.  On a flat cooktop, a round-bottom wok still can be brought to a high temperature in the center, where the wok is close to the induction coil, but it is very difficult — some would argue impossible — to get much heat up near the rim:  the energy will get there, basically, only by conduction through the metal, because the induction coil generates a sufficiently strong alternating magnetic field to cause the pan to heat up only within a space of a couple of inches, or about five cm, above the surface of the cooktop.  

One maker (IIRC it was Miele, but my recollection may be wrong) offered an induction cooktop with a bowl-shaped "burner" for wok cooking, but it was staggeringly expensive.  Theoretically, the same effect could be achieved with a cooktop "pan" that is flat on the bottom and deeply dished on the top, composed of a thick ferrous plate at the bottom for induction compatibility, and a highly conductive (copper or aluminum) dished plate fused to it that would more effectively and responsively conduct heat generated in the ferrous bottom plate up the sides of the "pan."  But it would be much easier and more efficient simply to install a single propane burner specifically for wok cooking alongside the induction cooktop.

1 1,455
 05-28-2020, 08:23 AM
  • chazt
  • Queens, NY
User Info
Great post, Tom. It’s good to see your words on the screen! How are you?

(apologies to the OP for the hijack)

19 4,559
 05-28-2020, 11:56 AM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
  • 44.4899° south of the North Pole
User Info
(05-28-2020, 08:23 AM)chazt Wrote: Great post, Tom. It’s good to see your words on the screen!

As I was composing, I was thinking of comparing induction to Bluetooth (powerful but only at close range), and flame heat (uniquitous and long-range enough to burn down the house) to WiFi, but I decided that could only cause confusion.  

(05-28-2020, 08:23 AM)chazt Wrote: How are you?

Holding on and avoiding close contact with humans other than my bride.  I am blessed with meeting four of the five known heightened risk factors for COVID-19, so it goes beyond not wanting to risk infecting others.  A longtime (from the 1960s) friend moved from northern New England into an apartment in the Other Astoria (the one in Queens) just before this whole mess started, so, between Gov. Cuomo's daily briefings and email from my friend, I have been getting frequent updates on what has been happening on your tight little island. Stay safe, my friend.   [Image: face-with-medical-mask_1f637.png]

1 1,455