05-29-2020, 10:30 AM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
Czech & Speake shaving soaps are widely considered to be the best triple milled tallow shaving soaps on the market. Unfortunately, the factory that made the soaps (Valobra) was purchased by Martelli in late 2018 and shut down.

We just received a shipment of vintage Valobra made Czech & Speake Shaving soaps. Grab some while you can -they are no longer being made and soon will be unavailable. In fact, the 90g shave soap refills of No. 88 are already gone for good.

[Image: HD51aTP.jpg]

53 21,563
 05-29-2020, 01:12 PM
  • ChiefBroom
  • Chief of Dark Holler
  • Fort Collins, Colorado, USA
User Info
I ordered five of the O&C refills and may come back for more it they hang around very long. I've never ventured out to try a lot of soaps. I almost exclusively face-lather. My all-time favorite is Figaro P-160 tipo duro (not such a big fan of morbido), which I now use sparingly and usually spike with a cream. Valobra-made hard soaps come next in line of preference, and that's what I've used most often for some time due to strict rationing of P-160. I have a large stash of original AoS soaps, which were also made by Valobra; however, the C&S formulations have always seemed a little more complex and sophisticated to me. It's very sad to hear these soaps are going the way of P-160.

3 1,702
 05-29-2020, 02:30 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
User Info
(05-29-2020, 01:12 PM)ChiefBroom Wrote: I ordered five of the O&C refills and may come back for more it they hang around very long. I've never ventured out to try a lot of soaps. I almost exclusively face-lather. My all-time favorite is Figaro P-160 tipo duro (not such a big fan of morbido), which I now use sparingly and usually spike with a cream. Valobra-made hard soaps come next in line of preference, and that's what I've used most often for some time due to strict rationing of P-160. I have a large stash of original AoS soaps, which were also made by Valobra; however, the C&S formulations have always seemed a little more complex and sophisticated to me. It's very sad to hear these soaps are going the way of P-160.

My understanding is they are looking for another factory to make the soaps. That said, even if the ingredients are exactly the same, the “cook” will not be the same.

I am hoping that the new soap is also excellent (if different).

53 21,563
 05-29-2020, 07:06 PM
  • ChiefBroom
  • Chief of Dark Holler
User Info
(05-29-2020, 02:30 PM)bullgoose Wrote: My understanding is they are looking for another factory to make the soaps. That said, even if the ingredients are exactly the same, the “cook” will not be the same.

Thanks, Phil. Any chance of your getting some 88 refill pucks?

3 1,702
 05-29-2020, 09:40 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
User Info
(05-29-2020, 07:06 PM)ChiefBroom Wrote:
(05-29-2020, 02:30 PM)bullgoose Wrote: My understanding is they are looking for another factory to make the soaps. That said, even if the ingredients are exactly the same, the “cook” will not be the same.

Thanks, Phil. Any chance of your getting some 88 refill pucks?

Czech & Speake was already sold out of the 88 refill pucks when I placed my order.

53 21,563
 05-30-2020, 12:28 PM
  • ChiefBroom
  • Chief of Dark Holler
User Info
(05-29-2020, 09:40 PM)bullgoose Wrote: Czech & Speake was already sold out of the 88 refill pucks when I placed my order.

Thanks, Phil.

3 1,702