05-29-2020, 04:50 PM
User Info
Just wondering thoughts and opinions comparing Astra platinum greens to Gillette 7 O’clock yellow blades. It’s been about 8 years since I’ve used an Astra and remember liking it. I’ve never used a Gillette yellow but have some on the way. I’m considering ordering some Astras also but don’t want to if they’re too similar. The price is right for sure. 

Last few years I’ve been Happily using Polisilvers, Permasharps and Voskhods.

2 211
 05-29-2020, 08:26 PM
User Info
For me Astra beats Gillette yellows.  Yellows are tugging from the first stroke.  Lots of guys love them though.  Astra seem sharper

6 566
 05-29-2020, 09:01 PM
User Info
(05-29-2020, 04:50 PM)Grande Wrote: Just wondering thoughts and opinions comparing Astra platinum greens to Gillette 7 O’clock yellow blades. It’s been about 8 years since I’ve used an Astra and remember liking it. I’ve never used a Gillette yellow but have some on the way. I’m considering ordering some Astras also but don’t want to if they’re too similar. The price is right for sure. 

Last few years I’ve been Happily using Polisilvers, Permasharps and Voskhods.

Its interesting to me that you classify Polsilver, Permasharps and Voskhods together. Polsilver and permasharp are my #1 blade and #2 blades. Voskhods on the other hand were terrible for me. To answer your question, astra greens are a slight step below polsilver and permasharp in sharpness and smoothness. However, I found them likeable and would be happy to use them regularly. I haven't used the yellows in a long time, but from what I remember, the yellows are about same sharpness as the astra, but a little less smooth. Not bad, but I would prefer the astra over the yellows.

0 146
 05-30-2020, 04:49 AM
  • chazt
  • Queens, NY
User Info
Blades are the biggest ymmv aspect of shaving. While most people generally seem to praise the two blades mentioned by the OP, they both are among my least favorite, along with everybody’s favorite, the much beloved and oft discontinued P.... I found the green and yellow to be tuggy and rough. P was just too sharp for me.

19 4,473
 05-30-2020, 05:27 AM
User Info
(05-30-2020, 04:49 AM)chazt Wrote: Blades are the biggest ymmv aspect of shaving. While most people generally seem to praise the two blades mentioned by the OP, they both are among my least favorite, along with everybody’s favorite, the much beloved and oft discontinued P.... I found the green and yellow to be tuggy and rough. P was just too sharp for me.

Fascinating replies. YMMV indeed. With that in mind Charlie, just out of curiosity, what blades do work for you?

2 211
 05-30-2020, 07:18 AM
  • chazt
  • Queens, NY
User Info
(05-30-2020, 05:27 AM)Grande Wrote:
(05-30-2020, 04:49 AM)chazt Wrote: Blades are the biggest ymmv aspect of shaving. While most people generally seem to praise the two blades mentioned by the OP, they both are among my least favorite, along with everybody’s favorite, the much beloved and oft discontinued P.... I found the green and yellow to be tuggy and rough. P was just too sharp for me.

Fascinating replies. YMMV indeed. With that in mind Charlie, just out of curiosity, what blades do work for you?

My best performing blade, in pretty much all my razors is the Israeli Personna. I find it smooth, comfortable and just the right amount of sharp. Med Preps, Crystals (and pretty much anything else made in the Nazareth plant) and Lab Blues round out my top 4.

19 4,473
 05-30-2020, 01:00 PM
  • Mouser
  • Forest City, Florida U.S.A.
User Info
It's been some time since I switched to vintage blades only but before I did Gillette 7 oclock Yellows were part of my regulars, Astras were not and to me were neither sharp or smooth enough.

8 2,835
 06-02-2020, 03:49 AM
User Info
A quick comment after the arrival of 7 O'Clock yellows: 

Variables that make blade critiques nebulous are many. Operator technique, razor used, prep, how much coffee or alcohol consumed to name a few. Repetition for consistency helps. 

That said, I just tried the "yellows" and first impression was most favorable. No tugging nor irritation and seemingly sharp and smooth. This paired with a Merkur 38C. Other razors waiting. OC Aristocrat next.

I've not used a 'vintage' blade since I was in high school in the 60's and kind of wonder what makes them special and different.

2 211
 06-12-2020, 01:00 AM
  • Mouser
  • Forest City, Florida U.S.A.
User Info
(06-02-2020, 03:49 AM)Grande Wrote: A quick comment after the arrival of 7 O'Clock yellows: 

Variables that make blade critiques nebulous are many. Operator technique, razor used, prep, how much coffee or alcohol consumed to name a few. Repetition for consistency helps. 

That said, I just tried the "yellows" and first impression was most favorable. No tugging nor irritation and seemingly sharp and smooth. This paired with a Merkur 38C. Other razors waiting. OC Aristocrat next.

I've not used a 'vintage' blade since I was in high school in the 60's and kind of wonder what makes them special and different.
I'll give you my thoughts on that when I have time to compose a thorough reply. I've researched this pretty extensively in archived articles and talked this very subject over years and years ago with a few older gentlemen who've done their own research,  one of who was in the industry back in the day. Reasons will follow and they're mostly economic and concern the affordability for men who make up the lions share of DE users.

8 2,835
 06-12-2020, 04:01 AM
User Info
(06-02-2020, 03:49 AM)Grande Wrote: A quick comment after the arrival of 7 O'Clock yellows: 

Well, 2 more shaves out of the same blade. 2nd shave w/38c, equally excellent. 3rd shave with a Rockwell 6C, I could hardly tell there was a blade in it. Smooth and close. 4th shave in the Rockwell...it didn't cut anything! Just slid over the beard leaving nothing disturbed. Not even sharp enough to pull or tug. 

Maybe I've found the perfect 3 shave blade or there were demons in the night.

2 211