05-30-2020, 07:22 PM
  • chazt
  • Queens, NY
User Info
This post is adapted from another I made in the Monthly Haul thread.

I am a scent novice. A complete and total newbie. Honestly, I’ve never really been interested in colognes and aftershaves. For most of my shaving life I’ve eschewed most aftershave lotions and colognes. When I was a teenager I bathed in English Leather and Old Spice (did NOT like Brut or Skin Bracer). I also liked the Pinaud Clubman in the barbershop but that was about it. By the time I hit 20-21, I’d essentially stopped using any kind of fragrance. Later, while honeymooning in Bermuda I bought a bottle of Royall Muske cologne, and that bottle lasted for a good 15 years.

When I discovered the joys of traditional shaving, the huge array of scented products was staggering and overwhelming. That was six years ago. Since then I’ve found a handful of scented soaps that are palatable to my and my wife’s olfaction. For the record, the scents I enjoy and have kept in my den are Proraso Red (soap, cream and pre/post), Asylum Shave Works Royal Fougere, ASW Old Virginia, LPL Oud-Santal, B&M Diamond (Heart), B&M Oceana, AoS tallow Sandalwood, Mike’s Lime and Pinaud Clubman. I’ve sold and PIFfed many, many soaps and creams from many different makers that were simply too intensely scented for me. While still predominantly an avowed unscented shaver, little by little I’ve recently begun to expand my scent horizons..

In the last two to three months I’ve purchased a few new soaps and aftershave splashes. I’ve had the P-red splash for quite some time now, and have been using it more frequently in the last few months. Also in the last few weeks, BullGoose has shipped me a couple of orders with various soaps and splashes including a backup of P-red AS splash.

A few weeks ago my local pharmacy brought in Fine’s American Blend. It wasn’t terribly overwhelming, so I brought a bottle home. When BullGoose ran the annual spring software sale I figured w t h, lemme try some new software. Among other items, I bought a flask of Fine’s Santal Absolut, thinking it would be fun to compare it with the Proraso splash. To my uninitiated nose they are not very similar, other than being Sandalwood. I’ve used both a few times in the last two weeks. The Fine AS is clearly channeling the scent of my puck of tallow AoS Sandalwood soap. There is a bit of menthol in the mix for a refreshing face feel, which is not objectionable in the least. I’d say that if you want to go with a theme, the Fine Santal Absolut should be paired with the AoS soap.

The Proraso Sandalwood AS splash does not smell exactly like the P-red soap, cream and pre/post balm, which to my nose/brain all smell the same. Fwiw, the balm may be the strongest scented of those three products imo. The aftershave is more lightly scented than the other products. While it is similar and clearly a member of the family, there is a difference. I like the Proraso splash a lot and Gayle has grown accustomed to me using it. I’ve become fond enough of it that I bought a backup from Phil, with a few new soaps and a cream.

But back to point, like I said, other than being takes on sandalwood, Fine and P-red are not very similar. The scent of the Fine, while perhaps being slightly stronger out of the bottle relative to the Proraso, also lasts longer into the day. A 7:30am shave will find the P-red gone by 9, 9:30. Occasionally, I find myself wanting to splash a bit more of the Proraso by ~10ish. OTOH, I get whiffs of the Fine AS well into the early, sometimes mid afternoon. Between the two splashes I presently prefer the P-red to the Fine. This may or may not change. We shall see in the next few weeks if my explorations with scents/aftershaves will continue...

16 4,243
 05-30-2020, 10:27 PM
User Info
Fine splashes are exactly as advertised: basic ingredients, menthol, and good scent-clones. American blend lasts a long time, with fresh vetiver, platinum, and L’Orange noir less so. While not especially healing, I quite like them - and snake bite is a wonderful finisher to any shave (topped off by your choice of scented splash).

I find splashes (and balms) to be one of the most important parts of a shave - as they remind you of that great experience for hours to come.

36 2,104
 05-31-2020, 03:46 AM
  • chazt
  • Queens, NY
User Info
(05-30-2020, 10:27 PM)mike_the_kraken Wrote: Fine splashes are exactly as advertised: basic ingredients, menthol, and good scent-clones. American blend lasts a long time, with fresh vetiver, platinum, and L’Orange noir less so. While not especially healing, I quite like them - and snake bite is a wonderful finisher to any shave (topped off by your choice of scented splash).

I find splashes (and balms) to be one of the most important parts of a shave - as they remind you of that great experience for hours to come.

Thanks for bringing this up, Mike. Being such a noob regarding aftershaves it wasn’t in the front of my brain. I have always in the past associated aftershave splashes with simply closing the pores, and not as much associated with skin healing. I’ve been using Shea butter post shave for years to that end. Between the two, Fine and Proraso, I think I prefer the post shave qualities of the Proraso. My skin feels “better” with that applied.

A few points to your’s. Snake Bite is Very refreshing! I can see finishing the bottle and placing a reorder. I commented above that the American Blend is not overly strong to my nose, yet like you point out, it is very long lasting.

Thanks for bringing up, these points. I can sure use help sorting through the AS journey!

16 4,243
 06-11-2020, 09:29 PM
  • Nero
User Info
While the Fine AS formula is basic, my skin really loves it. The menthol is definitely a part of that enjoyment. But I think my skin just likes the clean simple formula. A perfect astringent. Just feels like a match made in heaven. Also, no sticky residue on the hands or face. They are my favorite splashes to use. Best bottle too.

I have only tried the green Proraso AS (not the red yet). I think it also works well and feels good. The scent is okay but not at the level of my favorite Fine scents. The Proraso AS is more of a drug store scent, as opposed to nicer cologne scents like (most) the Fine ones.

good lather has no suds

98 4,037