06-06-2020, 12:47 AM
User Info
[Image: NpCvzQj.jpg][Image: uqQEKIR.jpg]

Hi

Please find my most recent brush, the Simpsons B6 (shown with my B1 for scale).

I knew (of course) that I had purchased a Beaufort but I simply had no idea of the size. Needless to say I was delighted to find it was the B6. 

It's a big brush but surprisingly light (at 75 grams). The modern version comes in at 80 grams but the dimensions are the same as mine (handle 60mm, loft 50mm, knot 22mm).

The knot is not densely packed and I'm a little concerned that it may be on the floppy side but I'll find out soon enough. It's Pure Badger but has quite light tips as you can see. It's worth noting that the B1 is also Pure Badger, with the difference being quite obvious.

Anyway not bad for 5 pounds......

Adam

0 19
 06-06-2020, 03:21 AM
  • chazt
  • Queens, NY
User Info
Well done, Adam. The Beaufort series has beautiful lines. I’ll bet if Simpson offered it with higher grade hair, they’d sell many more of those brushes. Thanks for sharing your new brush with us Smile

19 4,412
 06-06-2020, 04:56 AM
User Info
(06-06-2020, 03:21 AM)chazt Wrote: Well done, Adam. The Beaufort series has beautiful lines. I’ll bet if Simpson offered it with higher grade hair, they’d sell many more of those brushes. Thanks for sharing your new brush with us Smile

My pleasure.

0 19
 06-06-2020, 04:54 PM
  • Shaun
  • St Peters, NSW, Australia
User Info
I especially like the comparatively wider angled part of the handle under the central bead or knop. More elegant than the more recent offering, and extends the line of the handle. It may have to do to with the larger scale of the brush, but I think it may have more to do with the eye of the maker. I wonder if it is a Stan Archer brush? Looks ergonomically superb.

The other thing to note (a minor detail) is the shadow cast on the lower handle of both brushes. On the left, there is a steeper curve, and on the right, shallower, indicating the comparative straightness/curve of the lines... something there about the steadiness of the turner's hand? Dunno. I like the slightly straighter lines on the Somerset, personally.

A great collectible, and what a bargain, too! That's just over $6 US. I can't think of a more remarkable score for a Nimmer Mill, Somerset Simpson butterscotch.

0 2,235