06-20-2020, 03:38 AM
  • chazt
  • Queens, NY
User Info
(06-07-2020, 05:15 AM)shaveser Wrote: I hear, understand and agree with all of the points related to proper prep, hair mapping and sticking with a set up for a period of time. But those with thick, coarse stubble face a different variable that, IMO, can only be really be fixed with a rigid blade.  A Gillette SS for example is a great razor, but provides insufficient rigidity when cutting through wire-like stubble.  So, if the OP really does have very thick, coarse stubble, I’d say that equipment actually does matter quite a bit.  Agree that it’s not about aggression in terms of feel, but you’ll need a razor that locks down a blade tight with zero chatter.

Signs011

16 4,313
 06-20-2020, 10:11 AM
User Info
(06-07-2020, 05:15 AM)shaveser Wrote:
(06-06-2020, 06:20 PM)shaveser Wrote: I have very coarse hair. It took me much experimentation to learn that I need a sharp blade in an aggressive razor that holds the blade as rigid as possible. Now my rotation consists only of 1) Nodachi, 2) Muhle R41, and 3) ATT H1.
I would recommend the R41 with a Timor for the shave of a lifetime, provided you respect the razor and employ the lightest touch only.

I hear, understand and agree with all of the points related to proper prep, hair mapping and sticking with a set up for a period of time. But those with thick, coarse stubble face a different variable that, IMO, can only be really be fixed with a rigid blade. A Gillette SS for example is a great razor, but provides insufficient rigidity when cutting through wire-like stubble. So, if the OP really does have very thick, coarse stubble, I’d say that equipment actually does matter quite a bit. Agree that it’s not about aggression in terms of feel, but you’ll need a razor that locks down a blade tight with zero chatter.

The problem is that there is no objective way to verify ‘thick, coarse stubble’ - and it’s perhaps the most overused phrase outside of BBS. That said, if we thought a thicker blade was the answer - why aren’t we guiding the OP towards SE blades (like the feather pro’s)?

36 2,121
 06-24-2020, 06:32 PM
User Info
I was having issues until recently when I seen a video by Mantic59. He suggested when you have multi days worth of grown to do a second first pass before proceeding with the across the grain pass.

It was a game changer for me. I have been having wonderful shaves since then. I know he meant for this technique for days for multi days growth but it might just work for someone with a difficult beard.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

0 12
 07-02-2020, 01:52 PM
User Info
Try shaving before showering and try not to spend too much time lathering to keep your beard from hydrating too much.  You could also consider a cold shave - not enjoyable but effective!   A softer beard tends to bend in stead of shearing off when contacting the blade if your technique isn't excellent.  When I started out it allowed me to get smooth shave with almost any razor.  With many years of experience now I find most razors can be adapted to get the a good shave but this made it easier for me in the beginning.

0 6
 07-09-2020, 09:47 AM
User Info
(06-06-2020, 03:36 PM)mike_the_kraken Wrote: Before you change equipment, it’s worth evaluating your technique. How many passes are you doing? Have you mapped your beard?

(06-06-2020, 07:08 PM)PATRIOT Wrote:
(06-06-2020, 03:36 PM)mike_the_kraken Wrote: Before you change equipment, it’s worth evaluating your technique. How many passes are you doing? Have you mapped your beard?

+1

+2

0 497