09-27-2012, 08:08 PM
User Info
.........i should be getting orders soon to go back to the States....yeah....!!!

......i've been away for 13 years.....so domestic air travel has changed quite a bit since 9/11...

.......i understand now that the airlines charge around $25 per checked bag on domestic flights. so i am assuming that carry-ons are the way to go.........

....but what do you guys and gals do with your razors and razor blades when you travel by air? do they allow you to take your razors without blades on the plane? do you just buy the blades at the location that you travel to?? you buy cheap plastic razors for your stay??

39 1,054
 09-27-2012, 08:13 PM
  • beartrap
  • Resident Цирюльник
  • Southern California
User Info
I take a single use if I travel for a day or two. More then that and I have to check bags anyway, so I take everything with me and check it.

88 4,233
 09-27-2012, 08:34 PM
User Info
Harry, i usually check my bags when traveling as i don't do it often and usually do it for three to four weeks. i take the bare essentials and whichever items i can part with just in case they get lost. i never take my good stuff (razors, blades, brushes).

75 20,883
 09-27-2012, 08:52 PM
User Info
You cannot take DE or SE blades in carry-on.

My usual strategy:
  • If going only for a day, leave the shaving stuff at home, it's not worth bringing.
  • Going for a few days, bring a disposable razor (Bic is good) which gets tossed before I head back.
  • For a longer trip: if I do have luggage, I'll take a razor that is relatively mild (I don't want to deal with cuts) and easily replaceable (Superspeed, Tech, something that I won't get upset about if it gets lost) and enough blades to last the trip. If carry-on, I'll take a cart like a Trac 2 or Guard.
  • I face lather and think this works great when traveling because you don't need to worry about a mug/scuttle. A smaller brush tends to work best. I hear synthetics dry fast but I don't have one, I typically bring my Semogue 620.
  • If you are using a carry-on, keep in mind the limit for fluids which includes shaving creams, aftershaves, etc. I end up with a shaving stick and have a few pretty leakproof plastic bottles that I put some aftershave into.

12 1,243
 09-28-2012, 02:54 AM
User Info
Congrats on getting back State side!

Good advice above...I would also recommend Southwest Airlines if they serve your destination....cheap, no frills, but they do not charge for the first checked bag.

5 938
 09-28-2012, 05:25 AM
User Info
....thank you, Gentlemen....

....yeah, it is a great feeling going back to the States...

.....going to the DC area........ lived there for quite a few years when i was single man..... it was great...!

.....now i am married with 3 children.....

.....i guess now it will be more Chuck E. Cheese, and less Happy Hour at the Ha'Penny Lion (is it still open?)

39 1,054
 09-28-2012, 09:40 AM
  • beartrap
  • Resident Цирюльник
  • Southern California
User Info
I am sure you will miss Italy though Wink

88 4,233
 09-29-2012, 10:36 AM
  • MikeGJ
  • Grand Junction, CO
User Info
For air travel, carrying on, I use a disposable (Bic Metal, Schick Xtreme3 Sensitive) or a two blade Gillette Sensor.

If i'm checking a bag, I'd take a DE + Blades, same for car travel.

I carry a leftover piece of Tabac, which I use like a stick, or La Toja stick.

I lather up with an Omega "Mighty Midget", or Simpson Special, both of which dry quickly.

Styptic pencil, just in case

1 107
 09-29-2012, 10:48 AM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
Guys ,whats going on with opening a thread with capital letters?Is in fashion now?

I never had problems traveling by air with my DE blades or safety razor , but last time I did fly was back in 2010.

If you are heading to a place where you know you can get wet shaving supplies , excellent chance to feed the adquisition disorder!

86 7,123
 10-03-2012, 04:14 PM
User Info
Technically, DE blades are not allowed: TSA - Prohibited Items (see the list under 'Sharp Objects'). About 2 years ago I travelled from DC (can't remember if it was out of Reagan or Dulles) to FL with a 'loaded' DE in my carry-on. No extra blades, just the one already in the DE razor. Had no problems.

Don't know if it was because the scanner didn't distinguish between the blade and metal head of the DE... or if they simply didn't consider the DE blade to be a banned item.

That said, if you do pack DE blades in a carry-on, odds are the worst that will happens is they'll stop you, take 'em out of your bag ("Sorry sir, I packed in a hurry and forgot they were in my shave kit."), then send you on your way...

...unless you have a prior history with the TSA, then it may result in a full-out body cavity search.

Seriously though, if they are dis-allowed and they find them, I truly would be surprised if they did much more than stop you, and ask you to open you bag, take them out, hand them over, then send you on your merry way.

Just a matter of whether you want to DE shave on your trip bad enough to risk the possibility of losing $3 worth of blades and 5-10 minutes of time getting to your gate...

Or, as you said, you could always just take the razor w/o any blades and hope a CVS or Walgreens near where you are staying stocks DE blades.

As for me, my wife gets really stressed out about flying the way it is. So if we fly somewhere and I'm not checking my bag, I just pack a cheap disposable cartridge razor.

3 147
 10-04-2012, 02:17 PM
  • MikeGJ
  • Grand Junction, CO
User Info
I am guessing that they simply missed seeing the "loaded" DE razor at all. I think if you travel with a loaded DE, you might risk confiscation of the blade AND the razor, given the attitude (and perhaps ignorance) of TSA personnel.

I wouldn't want to risk the loss of a good DE, trying to get a blade through TSA.

I think your chances of not being stopped and searched with a DE are excellent, though, if you travel with the doors open.

There are threads on other forums that indicate a closed DE in a carry on had triggered a hand search, with the agent opening the razor to make sure it did not contain a blade.

As you note, there is less chance of trouble with a cartridge or disposable, which is my habit.

YMMV!

(10-03-2012, 04:14 PM)Malacoda Wrote: Technically, DE blades are not allowed: TSA - Prohibited Items (see the list under 'Sharp Objects'). About 2 years ago I travelled from DC (can't remember if it was out of Reagan or Dulles) to FL with a 'loaded' DE in my carry-on. No extra blades, just the one already in the DE razor. Had no problems.

Don't know if it was because the scanner didn't distinguish between the blade and metal head of the DE... or if they simply didn't consider the DE blade to be a banned item.

That said, if you do pack DE blades in a carry-on, odds are the worst that will happens is they'll stop you, take 'em out of your bag ("Sorry sir, I packed in a hurry and forgot they were in my shave kit."), then send you on your way...

...unless you have a prior history with the TSA, then it may result in a full-out body cavity search.

Seriously though, if they are dis-allowed and they find them, I truly would be surprised if they did much more than stop you, and ask you to open you bag, take them out, hand them over, then send you on your merry way.

Just a matter of whether you want to DE shave on your trip bad enough to risk the possibility of losing $3 worth of blades and 5-10 minutes of time getting to your gate...

Or, as you said, you could always just take the razor w/o any blades and hope a CVS or Walgreens near where you are staying stocks DE blades.

As for me, my wife gets really stressed out about flying the way it is. So if we fly somewhere and I'm not checking my bag, I just pack a cheap disposable cartridge razor.

1 107
 10-05-2012, 07:39 AM
User Info
Just got back from an interview. I took my Future and picked up some blades at a Walgreens a half mile from the hotel I was staying at. They are not great blades, but for me they are better than the disposables I have tried. I checked my hanging bag on the return with the blades in it. The Future went carry on with me(without blade and in my plastic bag). Both airports opened a trap door and looked at the razor to make sure there was no blade. The TSA agents seemed to know what they were doing, and were professional about it. I blasted through faster than the people around me that had to have their bags scanned twice, or didn't take their laptop out.

0 103
 10-11-2012, 10:09 PM
User Info
I just wanted to say thank you for your service.

129 6,685
 10-12-2012, 11:52 PM
User Info
I don't travel with anything I might have to explain.

Regards,
Squire

0 500
 10-13-2012, 11:00 AM
User Info
(10-12-2012, 11:52 PM)squire Wrote: I don't travel with anything I might have to explain.

Hmm

129 6,685
 10-13-2012, 11:29 AM
User Info
Doug airport security companies do not employ the most intellectually gifted. They are however adept at picking out metal objects from the carry on bag. I do not wish to explain to a person younger than my shoes what a DE is and what it's used for.

Regards,
Squire

0 500
 10-14-2012, 11:08 AM
User Info
As long as you don't take blades with you in the carry on you'll be fine. I last flew about 6 months ago they did ask me to open my bag but didn't even look at the razor they opened my shaving bag and wanted to look at my soap. I had a wooden bowl of Geo. F Trumpers, the TSA agent asked me what it was I said shave soap she smelled it then let me go.

0 90