06-11-2020, 01:31 PM
  • Barrylu
  • Portland OR
User Info
I am expecting some custom Varlet brushes. I am offering some collector brushes I have not used for years. They are all in excellent shape. The Simpsons all have their origional Grey Boxes. However, I do not have the box for the Chubby 1. I tried to research the internet for fair pricing. If my prices are off please let me know.
First I have a Rooney 1 Super Badger Price drop I had this one too high—$300. NOW $225 Now $200 SOLD
[Image: Gsk5g0g.jpg]
[Image: wRq1RJm.jpg]
[Image: FiQ0X32.jpg]

Simpson Grey Box
1.Simpson Keyhole 3 Best with box $120 SOLD
2.Simpson Persian Jar 2 Super $165 with box Now $150
3.Simpson Duke 2 Best with box $100 Now $90
4.Simpson Chubby 1 Best No Box 160 Now 145
[Image: 0fxXpIK.jpg]

109 1,283
 06-11-2020, 03:23 PM
  • chazt
  • Queens, NY
User Info
They look like sweet pieces of brushiness, fir sher! GLWTS Smile

19 4,438
 06-11-2020, 04:45 PM
User Info
Nice brushes.  The Rooney is an Emillion 1.

247 14,482
 06-11-2020, 05:20 PM
User Info
The Emillion 1 is an Emillion 2. The original Emillion was released as the Emillion 1, and people wanted a smaller size, thus the new smaller size became the Emillion 1 while the larger from that point forward became the Emillion 2. I had forgotten about it and read a post for Jim at the time from Vintage Blades explaining that.

33 1,003
 06-12-2020, 04:01 AM
  • Barrylu
  • Portland OR
User Info
I have been informed that I had the Rooney priced too high. Price reduced to $225.

109 1,283
 06-12-2020, 11:30 AM
User Info
(06-12-2020, 04:01 AM)Barrylu Wrote: I have been informed that I had the Rooney priced too high. Price reduced to $225.

That’s more of a matter of opinion. It might be more than it was retail, but no one is forcing them to buy it. It is something that is no longer available, and in a class of its own. Personally I saw nothing wrong with the price before, but then again I know what it is you have for sale, and how unique it is.

33 1,003
 06-12-2020, 12:45 PM
  • ChiefBroom
  • Chief of Dark Holler
  • Fort Collins, Colorado, USA
User Info
(06-11-2020, 05:20 PM)kooshman7 Wrote: The Emillion 1 is an Emillion 2. The original Emillion was released as the Emillion 1, and people wanted a smaller size, thus the new smaller size became the Emillion 1 while the larger from that point forward became the Emillion 2. I had forgotten about it and read a post for Jim at the time from Vintage Blades explaining that.

Can you roughly date the brush based on that information?

3 1,743
 06-12-2020, 02:06 PM
  • Puma
  • Central Jersey
User Info
(06-11-2020, 05:20 PM)kooshman7 Wrote: The Emillion 1 is an Emillion 2. The original Emillion was released as the Emillion 1, and people wanted a smaller size, thus the new smaller size became the Emillion 1 while the larger from that point forward became the Emillion 2. I had forgotten about it and read a post for Jim at the time from Vintage Blades explaining that.

That is very interesting. Can you tell just looking at the picture that it is the larger size and not the later, and smaller true E1, or do you just know the brush?

18 1,059
 06-12-2020, 05:51 PM
User Info
This particular Rooney looks like a later run.

86 1,807
 06-12-2020, 06:38 PM
User Info
The original E1 was actually the 24mm model, aka the size 1. When the smaller model was introduced, in terms of how Rooney had their numbering system of larger numbers being larger it wouldn't make sense for the smaller Emillion to be come the Emillion 2, thus brushes from that point were renumbered. The 22mm model became the size 1, and the 24mm became the size 2. Part of what made me realize this is I had a faux horn Emillion in the past, and repurchased another faux horn Emillion pretty recently, and in doing some quick internet looking I found information from Jim confirming this. I'm still trying to find it, but right here shows when Jim first announced the faux Horn model.

Edit: Too much info overload. It is mentioned in the preview of the heritage line. Look to post 12. Stats of the Emillion then were: Overall Length: 110mm, Handle: 60, Knot: 24mm. As to when the smaller one got introduced, but I am positive it was in 2009. I just haven't found the post mentioning it yet, but it can be seen that the faux horn Emillion still was denoted as a size 1 with these specs, and I can vouch for that having had 2 models. This was the same time the XL Stubby range was introduced too. 

To quote the post, "The original Emillion has been re-designated as the "Size 2" to make way for a new smaller Size 1 Emillion with a 21mm knot. The handle of this new brush has been reduced in scale proportionately.

The Stubby range has been expanded to include three additional sizes. These are the 1XL, the 2XL, and the 3XL with 25mm, 28mm, and 30mm knots respectively. Only a dozen each of these brushes are available at this time."

Second and last dang edit: I finally found when the smaller Emillion was introduced and relabeled to the Emillion 1. Found here. Doesn't matter that I found it elsewhere, it has the info I remember. It was actually November 10, 2010 when they got it. Sometime I'm going to go through here and make a chronological listing of info. 
Dec 7, 2006 - Jim announced Vintage Blades became an authorized distributor of R.A. Rooney shaving brushes. It is made note of that they would be stocking brushes in Pure, Super, and Finest grades. 3-band heritage came later. There was no heritage line at this time.

Jul 31, 2007 - Jim announces their first shipment of Rooney's new Heritage line of brushes. Special note is made of the imitation bone material that recalls their earlier days, and that the material is intended to "age" with use, as would a natural bone handle. The designs chosen for the handles are much like early Rooney brushes and others found in factory archives. Also mentioned is a special grade of Rooney's opopular Super Silvertip or "Super". While brushes are stamped "Super Badger", the quality of the hair truly deserves a special designation of its own, and is intended to duplicate in both look and feel the badger hair that was found in the older Rooney brushes of the first half of the 20th Century, what has come to be known as "traditional British badger".

A few days before this on Jul 28, 2007, Jim posted a preview post of the Rooney Heritage range that unfortunately does not have pictures attached, but of special note is that Jim mentions there is only one size of the Beehive at this time, the Beehive 1 which clocked in at 21mm knot, 46mm handle, and an overall height of 92mm. Note is made of the smallest Alibaba, which fits the specs when I got started around 2009 of 20mm knot, 48mm handle, and 92mm overall and is mentioned there are three sizes at that time. The Stubby range also had 3 sizes at that time. There is also the Victorian model, and the Emillion model with their respective heights given, but no definite info in that post saying there is only one size given.

I'm fairly positive there was never a smaller Victorian made as I was keen to the information of Rooneys when I first started, and followed Jim's website and posts concerning shaving brushes quite religiously. I'm still looking for the post that made me realize there was a size difference between the Emillions. I believe it happened a short time after I started my journey, and the part that clicked my brain to this fact years down the road is that I originally had a faux horn Emillion and recalled it was listed as a 1, when it clearly had the specs of the size 2.

It was on Nov 25, 2008 that Jim made a post announcing a larger version of the Rooney Heritage Beehive, the Beehive 2, at 102mm overall height, 50mm handle, 52mm brush loft, and a 26mm knot and in that post you even have a picture of it. At the same time a limited special production run of the Emillion in faux Horn was announced, and pictures of that can still be seen clearly showing it labeled as a size 1. I don't have the original I purchased anymore, but got lucky and purchased another one awhile back and can confirm it is labeled as a 1, but is the size of what was later labeled as a size 2.

There is just one link included, but I have obtained all of my information per B&B. As to the date of the brush, it should be before 2009 as that was the time I believe the smaller was introduced. I remember seeing a smaller size getting introduced but the smaller size just never seemed right.

Measure the height of the handle Barry and you can clear it up whether it's an original size 1 before the smaller Emillion introduction. Personally I say it is the originally larger size 1, but the eyes can play tricks on you. The hair is longer than normal, but looks far too good of quality to be a later run to my eye.

33 1,003
 06-12-2020, 07:10 PM
User Info
Joe that is wonderful information thank you for sharing.

86 1,807
 06-12-2020, 07:33 PM
User Info
(06-12-2020, 07:10 PM)ultra~nova Wrote: Joe that is wonderful information thank you for sharing.

No problem at all. I read and obsessed about Rooneys far too much at the time, even now, and know that I've seen it and I was part of that era, so I should be willing to do my part and find it! Smile

33 1,003
 06-13-2020, 03:33 AM
  • Puma
  • Central Jersey
User Info
(06-12-2020, 06:38 PM)kooshman7 Wrote: The original E1 was actually the 24mm model, aka the size 1. When the smaller model was introduced, in terms of how Rooney had their numbering system of larger numbers being larger it wouldn't make sense for the smaller Emillion to be come the Emillion 2, thus brushes from that point were renumbered. The 22mm model became the size 1, and the 24mm became the size 2. Part of what made me realize this is I had a faux horn Emillion in the past, and repurchased another faux horn Emillion pretty recently, and in doing some quick internet looking I found information from Jim confirming this. I'm still trying to find it, but right here shows when Jim first announced the faux Horn model.

Edit: Too much info overload. It is mentioned in the preview of the heritage line. Look to post 12. Stats of the Emillion then were: Overall Length: 110mm, Handle: 60, Knot: 24mm. As to when the smaller one got introduced, but I am positive it was in 2009. I just haven't found the post mentioning it yet, but it can be seen that the faux horn Emillion still was denoted as a size 1 with these specs, and I can vouch for that having had 2 models. This was the same time the XL Stubby range was introduced too. 

To quote the post, "The original Emillion has been re-designated as the "Size 2" to make way for a new smaller Size 1 Emillion with a 21mm knot. The handle of this new brush has been reduced in scale proportionately.

The Stubby range has been expanded to include three additional sizes. These are the 1XL, the 2XL, and the 3XL with 25mm, 28mm, and 30mm knots respectively. Only a dozen each of these brushes are available at this time."

Second and last dang edit: I finally found when the smaller Emillion was introduced and relabeled to the Emillion 1. Found here. Doesn't matter that I found it elsewhere, it has the info I remember. It was actually November 10, 2010 when they got it. Sometime I'm going to go through here and make a chronological listing of info. 
Dec 7, 2006 - Jim announced Vintage Blades became an authorized distributor of R.A. Rooney shaving brushes. It is made note of that they would be stocking brushes in Pure, Super, and Finest grades. 3-band heritage came later. There was no heritage line at this time.

Jul 31, 2007 - Jim announces their first shipment of Rooney's new Heritage line of brushes. Special note is made of the imitation bone material that recalls their earlier days, and that the material is intended to "age" with use, as would a natural bone handle. The designs chosen for the handles are much like early Rooney brushes and others found in factory archives. Also mentioned is a special grade of Rooney's opopular Super Silvertip or "Super". While brushes are stamped "Super Badger", the quality of the hair truly deserves a special designation of its own, and is intended to duplicate in both look and feel the badger hair that was found in the older Rooney brushes of the first half of the 20th Century, what has come to be known as "traditional British badger".

A few days before this on Jul 28, 2007, Jim posted a preview post of the Rooney Heritage range that unfortunately does not have pictures attached, but of special note is that Jim mentions there is only one size of the Beehive at this time, the Beehive 1 which clocked in at 21mm knot, 46mm handle, and an overall height of 92mm. Note is made of the smallest Alibaba, which fits the specs when I got started around 2009 of 20mm knot, 48mm handle, and 92mm overall and is mentioned there are three sizes at that time. The Stubby range also had 3 sizes at that time. There is also the Victorian model, and the Emillion model with their respective heights given, but no definite info in that post saying there is only one size given.

I'm fairly positive there was never a smaller Victorian made as I was keen to the information of Rooneys when I first started, and followed Jim's website and posts concerning shaving brushes quite religiously. I'm still looking for the post that made me realize there was a size difference between the Emillions. I believe it happened a short time after I started my journey, and the part that clicked my brain to this fact years down the road is that I originally had a faux horn Emillion and recalled it was listed as a 1, when it clearly had the specs of the size 2.

It was on Nov 25, 2008 that Jim made a post announcing a larger version of the Rooney Heritage Beehive, the Beehive 2, at 102mm overall height, 50mm handle, 52mm brush loft, and a 26mm knot and in that post you even have a picture of it. At the same time a limited special production run of the Emillion in faux Horn was announced, and pictures of that can still be seen clearly showing it labeled as a size 1. I don't have the original I purchased anymore, but got lucky and purchased another one awhile back and can confirm it is labeled as a 1, but is the size of what was later labeled as a size 2.

There is just one link included, but I have obtained all of my information per B&B. As to the date of the brush, it should be before 2009 as that was the time I believe the smaller was introduced. I remember seeing a smaller size getting introduced but the smaller size just never seemed right.

Measure the height of the handle Barry and you can clear it up whether it's an original size 1 before the smaller Emillion introduction. Personally I say it is the originally larger size 1, but the eyes can play tricks on you. The hair is longer than normal, but looks far too good of quality to be a later run to my eye.
Thanks Joe. I had a more recent 24 Emillion and agree that in the photos this brush appears to be that large, but I really can't be sure. I never cease to be amazed by how much the members here know about the history of things.

18 1,059
 06-13-2020, 03:41 AM
  • chazt
  • Queens, NY
User Info
Joe, that was a wonderful bit of research and reporting. Thanks very much for your effort and explanation.

19 4,438
 06-16-2020, 04:10 PM
  • Barrylu
  • Portland OR
User Info
Simpson Keyhole sold
Rooney reduced in price

109 1,283
 06-20-2020, 05:01 AM
  • BSWoodturning
  • Co-Owner, Brad Sears ShaveWorks
  • Maryland Eastern Shore
User Info
(06-13-2020, 03:41 AM)chazt Wrote: Joe, that was a wonderful bit of research and reporting. Thanks very much for your effort and explanation.

+1  

Thanks, Joe.  GLWTS.

4 1,056
 06-20-2020, 12:41 PM
  • Barrylu
  • Portland OR
User Info
All Prices Dropped

109 1,283
 06-21-2020, 05:53 PM
User Info
wonderful brushes and good prices. glws