06-16-2020, 11:06 AM
User Info
No matter how hard I try, I always get irritation on the third pass on the neck when I go against the grain. I use a Wilkinson Sword Classic, a 24mm knot Maggard synthetic shaving brush, a cream(Palmolive, D'amaris, Denim) and a D'amaris aftershave. Anyone else who has irritation after the ATG pass? Could use some advice.

0 152
 06-16-2020, 11:09 AM
User Info
Don't do 3rd pass

64 1,824
 06-16-2020, 11:11 AM
  • chazt
  • Queens, NY
User Info
(06-16-2020, 11:09 AM)jackgoldman123 Wrote: Don't do 3rd pass

Ya think?

Edit: I’m sorry, Alex. But, maybe Jack is on to something. Is that third ATG pass really necessary?

16 4,243
 06-16-2020, 11:15 AM
User Info
You can try a Preshave which might help ease the irritation. Also, you may try switching over to soaps as they are better in overall performance across lathering, post shave etc.
If you don't want to go this way, skip the ATG pass.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4 1,337
 06-16-2020, 11:17 AM
  • chazt
  • Queens, NY
User Info
Maybe try a different blade, and a non-alcoholic AS splash. Save the alcohol for happy hour Smile

16 4,243
 06-16-2020, 11:19 AM
User Info
(06-16-2020, 11:06 AM)Alex7 Wrote: No matter how hard I try, I always get irritation on the third pass on the neck when I go against the grain. I use a Wilkinson Sword Classic, a 24mm knot Maggard synthetic shaving brush, a cream(Palmolive, D'amaris, Denim) and a D'amaris aftershave. Anyone else who has irritation after the ATG pass? Could use some advice.

Not a common phenomenon here.

A couple suggestions maybe.

I do two full passes, second is against the grain.
Third pass is only buffing, minor spots.
Maybe this can help you as well.  

And always relather, I suppose you do.

And as a last remark, you may want to try a hard soap.
Creams can contain chemicals you might be sensitive to.
Same as with the canned gels and foams.

0 757
 06-16-2020, 02:59 PM
User Info
(06-16-2020, 11:09 AM)jackgoldman123 Wrote: Don't do 3rd pass

This was the answer for my troubles.  I do two passes; with the grain then against the grain.

0 72
 06-16-2020, 03:09 PM
  • RyznRio
  • Connecticut
User Info
perhaps when you turn the razor upside down, you are moving out of the sweet angle and have been scraping ATG instead of shaving ATG. Another problem that I have had is to flick the head rather than riding the cap.  the fingers and the wrist should hold the razor steady but the arm should move the razor. Also, the pressure going ATG needs to be very VERY light. one last item is that the hair on the neck tends to swirl so be careful about what is actually ATG.

0 453
 06-16-2020, 05:07 PM
User Info
There are some spots where I can’t go ATG, like the hollows of my neck and face near the upper-lip. I’ll do a more aggressive version of XTG* in those spots on passes 3 & 4 - and walk away w/o any irritation. Mapping your beard is part of a good long-term plan to eliminate irritation.

*if ‘more aggressive XTG’ doesn’t make sense - let me provide an example. Given hair that grows south, then:
- Shaving South is WTG
- Shaving North is ATG
- Shaving east/west are XTG
- Shaving North-east/west (a +/- 45 degree offset from true ATG) is more aggressive than XTG without being true ATG
- Shaving south-east/west is more aggressive than WTG, but less aggressive than XTG

36 2,105
 06-16-2020, 05:16 PM
  • David
  • Toronto
User Info
I do about 1.5 passes. I never do my neck twice.

I learned early in life, and in my shaving journey, not to court disaster.

1 645
 06-16-2020, 05:30 PM
User Info
Some guys have skin which will not tolerate an ATG pass on certain parts.  I can't shave XTG or ATG on the lower half of my neck.  If I do anything other than a WTG pass in that area, I end up with irritation and ingrown hairs.   So, the simple solution is to skip the ATG pass in areas where it causes irritation.

60 10,323
 06-16-2020, 05:34 PM
User Info
First thing as someone else here has mentioned, is your technique. Lets assume that your technique is correct. A preshave and better quality soaps can help, as will using a stiffer / denser brush and massaging the soap into your face, so that the hair can be lifted. Your type of hair and skin are important. If you have tough hair that is hard to cut, then your blade may not be sharp enough and you may want to try a sharper blade. If you have sensitive skin and tough hair then going against grain simply may not be a safe option. Also, how aggressive is the razor? Your razor may just be too aggressive for you.

0 135
 06-16-2020, 09:13 PM
User Info
(06-16-2020, 05:34 PM)meshave Wrote: First thing as someone else here has mentioned, is your technique. Lets assume that your technique is correct. A preshave and better quality soaps can help, as will using a stiffer / denser brush and massaging the soap into your face, so that the hair can be lifted. Your type of hair and skin are important. If you have tough hair that is hard to cut, then your blade may not be sharp enough and you may want to try a sharper blade. If you have sensitive skin and tough hair then going against grain simply may not be a safe option. Also, how aggressive is the razor? Your razor may just be too aggressive for you.

The razor is known as mild.

0 152
 06-17-2020, 03:26 AM
  • chazt
  • Queens, NY
User Info
(06-16-2020, 09:13 PM)Alex7 Wrote:
(06-16-2020, 05:34 PM)meshave Wrote: If you have tough hair that is hard to cut, then your blade may not be sharp enough and you may want to try a sharper blade. If you have sensitive skin and tough hair then going against grain simply may not be a safe option. Also, how aggressive is the razor? Your razor may just be too aggressive for you.

This is an interesting phenomenon. I used to believe that milder razors would be easier on my skin. However, I’m beginning to now think that less aggressive razors such as a G.Tech or RRGC68 actually cause more irritation on my neck. For example, with these razors I do two WTG  neck passes to achieve DFS+. Yet I easily get a DFS+ quality shave on my lower neck with one pass using a Rex Envoy, Asylum Evolution, G.New, Schick injector, etc. It’s counterintuitive, but holds true every time. Maybe it’s the increased blade exposure, idk, but every shave with more aggressive razors supports my hypothesis. Regarding the blade, I personally prefer a smooth, less than max sharp blade such as a Personna platinum chrome, aka Israeli Personna. Have you tried a milder blade? And yes, technique is a major factor as well. Keep at it, Alex. You’ll get there Smile

16 4,243
 06-17-2020, 03:32 AM
User Info
The razor that I'm using is pretty mild.

0 152
 06-17-2020, 07:55 PM
User Info
(06-16-2020, 09:13 PM)Alex7 Wrote:
(06-16-2020, 05:34 PM)meshave Wrote: First thing as someone else here has mentioned, is your technique. Lets assume that your technique is correct. A preshave and better quality soaps can help, as will using a stiffer / denser brush and massaging the soap into your face, so that the hair can be lifted. Your type of hair and skin are important. If you have tough hair that is hard to cut, then your blade may not be sharp enough and you may want to try a sharper blade. If you have sensitive skin and tough hair then going against grain simply may not be a safe option. Also, how aggressive is the razor? Your razor may just be too aggressive for you.

Aggression is relative. A razor that is aggressive to me may be mild to others. For example, the razor I reach for vast majority of the time is the feather ASD2 and it is plenty aggressive for me. I only do 1 pass with buffing. But most opinions I have seen say it is too mild. You have to find out by trial and error what is aggressive or mild for you.

0 135
 06-18-2020, 07:23 PM
  • chazt
  • Queens, NY
User Info
(06-17-2020, 03:32 AM)Alex7 Wrote: The razor that I'm using is pretty mild.

Try one that’s more aggressive and do fewer passes.

16 4,243
 06-19-2020, 02:12 AM
User Info
(06-16-2020, 11:06 AM)Alex7 Wrote: No matter how hard I try, I always get irritation on the third pass on the neck when I go against the grain. I use a Wilkinson Sword Classic, a 24mm knot Maggard synthetic shaving brush, a cream(Palmolive, D'amaris, Denim) and a D'amaris aftershave. Anyone else who has irritation after the ATG pass? Could use some advice.

How well are you hydrating your beard before you shave?
I've always shaved ATG, first and second pass. I face soak with a hot tapwater washcloth for about a minute, almost the effect of a hot steam towel. For me, this makes sure the base of the hairs are well soaked, maybe even to the root. then I lather and shave ATG. If I just do a face splash and lather, my face gets irritated.
Just a suggestion.
Denis

0 17
 06-19-2020, 02:31 AM
User Info
(06-19-2020, 02:12 AM)Tallships Wrote:

How well are you hydrating your beard before you shave?
I've always shaved ATG, first and second pass. I face soak with a hot tapwater washcloth for about a minute, almost the effect of a hot steam towel. For me, this makes sure the base of the hairs are well soaked, maybe even to the root. then I lather and shave ATG. If I just do a face splash and lather, my face gets irritated.
Just a suggestion.
Denis

I take a shower before shaving and wash my face with a facial wash.

0 152
 06-19-2020, 03:58 AM
User Info
Today I made only 2 passes: One WTG except the neck(where I have irritation) where I went XTG and the second pass ATG everywhere. Better results with no irritation.

0 152