09-28-2012, 05:30 AM
User Info
Hi everyone -

So I recently came into possession of one of those vintage white/off-white bakelite slants made in Germany that Joe from Italian Barber found. I tried it out this morning and the shave was very nice and actually the weight seemed to suit it pretty well.

However, this post is about something I noticed stamped onto the end of the handle. Around the half of the circle, it says "Made in Germany" but on the other half was what at first appeared to me to be a raised bump/imperfection from the manufacturing process.

However, as I looked closer, it looked less like an imperfection and more like an intentional mark. (Please note that I took the above photo with my iPhone and I tried my hardest to capture the imprint as its in the same color as the handle).

Zooming in (and apologies for the lousy resolution), it is a Star of David.

I find this fascinating as no other shaving item I've come across has any religious iconography (or, at least, none of which I am aware). And, also considering this was probably made in the 60's in Germany, I find it doubly fascinating. I know these photos don't do it justice, but looking it at it is clear to me to be the Star of David.

Obviously, I'm not using this post as a means to start a religious conversation, but I was just wondering if someone might happen to know any of the history here. My initial theory was that these were made to be sold in Israel, but that's just a "shot in the dark" theory.

Thanks,
Josh

72 1,407
 09-28-2012, 06:01 AM
User Info
I also noticed that. I have bought a couple of those razors when they were available at the Italian ebay, and I've presented them in this thread: Bakelite slant bar NOS razor Made in Germany.

Here's a photo of mine, taken from that thread, where the little star is also visible:

[Image: 10914496ao.jpg]

2 5,527
 09-28-2012, 09:26 AM
User Info
Just pointing out that a star with six point isn't always a Star of David (AFAIK it'll have to be 'hollow' to count as such - I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong Smile) The hexagram has and have been used by many other religious and secular groups over the millennia; among others Hindus, Christians, Mormons, Freemasons, Muslims, and plenty more.

It's likely a factory mark; the six pointed star was for many centuries used as a proof stamp on quality swords and knives, so it would be sort of logical to put it on a razor - yes/no Undecided ??

3 3,554
 09-28-2012, 09:57 AM
User Info
(09-28-2012, 09:26 AM)WegianWarrior Wrote: Just pointing out that a star with six point isn't always a Star of David (AFAIK it'll have to be 'hollow' to count as such - I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong Smile) The hexagram has and have been used by many other religious and secular groups over the millennia; among others Hindus, Christians, Mormons, Freemasons, Muslims, and plenty more.

It's likely a factory mark; the six pointed star was for many centuries used as a proof stamp on quality swords and knives, so it would be sort of logical to put it on a razor - yes/no Undecided ??

I didn't know that. That could be as well. Thanks for the info!

72 1,407
 09-28-2012, 10:01 AM
User Info
Very interesting indeed.

183 12,002
 09-28-2012, 11:53 AM
User Info
Thanks for posting this, Josh.

75 20,883
 09-28-2012, 12:08 PM
  • UFO
  • Artisan
  • Seville, Spain
User Info
Interesting, yes. I have one unit.

1 108
 09-28-2012, 01:01 PM
  • Howler
  • A calamophile and vintage razor lover
  • Fort Smith AR
User Info
Very interesting observation. I agree with WagenWarrior,there could many different explanations. Thanks for the post Josh.

1 3,507
 10-24-2012, 09:16 PM
  • freddy
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
I never noticed it but, yes, there it was.

2 11,211
 10-25-2012, 06:52 AM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
My Merkur 45 bakelite has the same identical markings. I suspect the NOS slant bakelite were made by Merkur. The handle is identical except for the color.

100 12,437