06-18-2020, 02:55 PM
User Info
Hi there,

My name's Bob. I'm new here.
Not new to traditional shaving however. I just wondered if anyone would care to recommend to me a shaving soap.
I currently have a big barber block of the Italian Vitos "Red" which is wonderful, but I just fancied something else to alternate.

Ideally,  I'd prefer something not housed in a plastic tub, as I have a nice jar I want to fill. So a refill cake (puck ) or something I can press into my container, though not vital.
I've used many soaps over the years..just thought i'd see what you kind people would suggest.

Veggie or tallow and scent not an issue just a nice performer.

Thank you in advance,

Bob

0 5
 06-18-2020, 05:38 PM
User Info
(06-18-2020, 02:55 PM)Bobshaving101 Wrote: Hi there,

Not new to traditional shaving however. I just wondered if anyone would care to recommend to me a shaving soap.
I currently have a big barber block of the Italian Vitos "Red" which is wonderful, but I just fancied something else to alternate.

Ideally,  I'd prefer something not housed in a plastic tub, as I have a nice jar I want to fill. So a refill cake (puck ) or something I can press into my container, though not vital.
I've used many soaps over the years..just thought i'd see what you kind people would suggest.

Thank you in advance,

Bob
Stop while you can!

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

0 167
 06-18-2020, 06:09 PM
  • chazt
  • Queens, NY
User Info
Bob, if you’re interested in an available legacy brand, I’ve recently become enamored with DR Harris Marlborough and LEA Classic hard soaps. The lather they make is second to none. Folks also like Mitchell’s Wool Fat and Proraso, just to name a few. BullGoose carries a nice variety of soaps, so that’s a good place to start. Asylum Shave Works soaps btw, are made by Wet Shaving Products. I like the Fougere and tobacco versions. Artisan soaps get a lot of love around here. Some of my favorites are Shannon’s, Mike’s Natural and Barrister & Mann. Oh yeah, you can always take a soap out of it’s original container, too. You have your work cut out for you, my friend. Have fun!

And btw, welcome to TSN Smile

16 4,239
 06-18-2020, 10:37 PM
User Info
I've been reading about DR Harris and this will be my next soap. Revised are very good indeed ..

0 201
 06-19-2020, 09:33 AM
User Info
Thank you, guys !
Appreciate all your input.

Bob

0 5
 06-19-2020, 12:09 PM
User Info
(06-18-2020, 05:38 PM)CzechCzar Wrote:
(06-18-2020, 02:55 PM)Bobshaving101 Wrote: Hi there,

Thank you in advance,

Bob
Stop while you can!

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

+1

64 1,821
 06-19-2020, 12:20 PM
User Info
Too many options right now. A good problem IMO. 
Mitchell's Whool Fat is definitely a good option. Also Tabac and Wilkinson's sticks.

9 1,584
 06-19-2020, 12:51 PM
  • Gabe
  • Arizona
User Info
Welcome to TSN. 

I would recommend Mitchell's Wool Fat. DR Harris is also a other great option. 

If you want to try an artisan soap, I would recommend Mike's Natural or Mystic Waters. They just don't last as long as triple milled soaps.

109 2,172
 06-19-2020, 02:30 PM
User Info
(06-19-2020, 12:51 PM)Gabe Wrote: Welcome to TSN. 

If you want to try an artisan soap, I would recommend Mike's Natural or Mystic Waters. They just don't last as long as triple milled soaps.

While true, Mike’s Naturals lasts foreeeeever. I’ve only finished a few pucks of his - the price per shave has to be staggeringly low.

36 2,103
 06-19-2020, 04:29 PM
  • chazt
  • Queens, NY
User Info
(06-19-2020, 02:30 PM)mike_the_kraken Wrote:
(06-19-2020, 12:51 PM)Gabe Wrote: Welcome to TSN. 

While true, Mike’s Naturals lasts foreeeeever. I’ve only finished a few pucks of his - the price per shave has to be staggeringly low.

Yes, in my experience this is quite true. Mike’s definitely lasts longer than any other artisan soft soap I’ve tried.

16 4,239
 06-21-2020, 08:59 AM
User Info
Tabac. Refill puck. A standard bearer amongst soaps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

0 6
 06-27-2020, 01:35 PM
User Info
I honestly think Barrister & Mann soaps are so good that I wouldn't discount them just because of the packaging. You can easily transfer it into your container. Their scents are wild sometimes, a good safe start from the current selections is Seville.

But to stick strictly to the recommendation of something with a refill puck, go for Mike's Natural soaps. High quality, no fuss.  The other recommendation of DR Harris is another good one.

An "almost" recommended is Haslinger. I have not tried their reformulation, but back when it was tallow it was a heck of a good soap. It may still be, I mostly bring it up so someone who has used it recently can comment on if it continues to be a good shave.

6 1,141
 06-27-2020, 02:23 PM
User Info
Also a great soap, ready to transplant to any container:

[Image: le_pt_i_meusien_la_savonniere_du_moulin_2_small.jpg]

36 2,103
 06-28-2020, 08:32 PM
User Info
Try Hasslinger Schafmilch.. great soap..

0 16
 06-30-2020, 09:28 AM
User Info
Thank you for all your help and input gentlemen. 
I recently bought a couple of soaps that are new to me. Saponificio Varesino "Stella Alpina" and one that was recommend here was La Savonniere du Moulin.
Hopefully they will work well. Thank you all again.  Cheers

Bob

0 5
 07-04-2020, 12:51 PM
User Info
Fine Accoutrements soaps are very good.

The CK6 line of Phoenix Accoutrements are also equally stellar but a bit pricey.

Sooooo many great soaps out there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

29 457