06-24-2020, 04:25 AM
User Info
How should you clean a safety razor? Would water, a toothbrush, a pipe cleaning brush, liquid dish detergent, liquid disinfecting dish detergent, liquid hand soap, liquid disinfecting hand soap be enough? When do I need to use toothpaste and Scrubbing Bubbles? I was also told by Leisureguy to mix a solution of 1 part vinegar and 4 parts water and place the razor in the solution.

0 152
 06-24-2020, 05:36 AM
User Info
For routine cleaning, dish soap and a soft child's toothbrush will suffice.

60 10,323
 06-24-2020, 06:28 AM
  • Beau
  • New York
User Info
I do the same as Ricardo above. For hard to reach areas, such as on the head of a Timeless Razor, I use a pipe cleaner.

0 840
 06-24-2020, 08:24 AM
  • chazt
  • Queens, NY
User Info
For stubborn soap buildup between the tines of open combs, or in the grooves on solid bars I place the part in a small cup with 91% isopropyl alcohol. Let it sit for 10-15 minutes with some gentle, occasional swirling along the way. Repeat as necessary. Works like a charm.

16 4,243
 06-24-2020, 01:11 PM
  • Mouser
  • Forest City, Florida U.S.A.
User Info
(06-24-2020, 08:24 AM)chazt Wrote: For stubborn soap buildup between the tines of open combs, or in the grooves on solid bars I place the part in a small cup with 91% isopropyl alcohol. Let it sit for 10-15 minutes with some gentle, occasional swirling along the way. Repeat as necessary. Works like a charm.

Do NOT let it sit in alcohol for any longer if, like a vintage razor,  its zinc plated. It'll  peel off like paint.
I use a soft toothbrush under running water for daily cleaning and add a mild dish soap once every other week or so. A jeweler's polishing cloth occasionally as well.

8 2,801
 06-24-2020, 02:50 PM
  • chazt
  • Queens, NY
User Info
(06-24-2020, 01:11 PM)Mouser Wrote:
(06-24-2020, 08:24 AM)chazt Wrote: For stubborn soap buildup between the tines of open combs, or in the grooves on solid bars I place the part in a small cup with 91% isopropyl alcohol. Let it sit for 10-15 minutes with some gentle, occasional swirling along the way. Repeat as necessary. Works like a charm.

Do NOT let it sit in alcohol for any longer if, like a vintage razor,  its zinc plated. It'll  peel off like paint.
I use a soft toothbrush under running water for daily cleaning and add a mild dish soap once every other week or so. A jeweler's polishing cloth occasionally as well.

Only with SS razors. Yes, point taken. Thank you.

16 4,243
 06-24-2020, 03:32 PM
User Info
This may sound weird but I just put mine in the utensil tray of the dishwasher when I’m getting ready to do a load of dishes. My 60 year old Gillette’s come out looking brand new.

I sanitize newly purchased razors the same way. I figure if it takes contaminates off dishes and silverware it should be able to kill any bad germs my shaver has accumulated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

0 12
 06-24-2020, 04:05 PM
User Info
I generally use soap and a gentle toothbrush, but when I want to restore that day-one shine - it’s barkeepers friend I turn to (it’s a non-abrasive cleaner that’s recommended for stainless steel everything - and what I use on my expensive pots & pans).

36 2,104
 06-24-2020, 04:13 PM
  • chazt
  • Queens, NY
User Info
(06-24-2020, 03:32 PM)Bill Hosler Wrote: This may sound weird but I just put mine in the utensil tray of the dishwasher when I’m getting ready to do a load of dishes. My 60 year old Gillette’s come out looking brand new.

I sanitize newly purchased razors the same way. I figure if it takes contaminates off dishes and silverware it should be able to kill any bad germs my shaver has accumulated.

Interesting. A few years ago we switched over to dishwasher pods. I’ve seen since then that coffee mugs with pictures, design, etc. have faded significantly - almost faded white in some cases. That never happened when we used liquids. What do you use in your dishwasher, Bill?

16 4,243
 06-24-2020, 06:22 PM
User Info
(06-24-2020, 04:13 PM)chazt Wrote:
(06-24-2020, 03:32 PM)Bill Hosler Wrote: This may sound weird but I just put mine in the utensil tray of the dishwasher when I’m getting ready to do a load of dishes. My 60 year old Gillette’s come out looking brand new.

Interesting. A few years ago we switched over to dishwasher pods. I’ve seen since then that coffee mugs with pictures, design, etc. have faded significantly - almost faded white in some cases. That never happened when we used liquids. What do you use in your dishwasher, Bill?

We use Dawn Platinum pods. I've never encountered any issues with fading on cups..etc.

I like them because other the occasional utensil that still may have some peanut butter residue or something like that the dishes come out sparkling clean.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

0 12
 06-25-2020, 01:41 AM
  • Mouser
  • Forest City, Florida U.S.A.
User Info
(06-24-2020, 06:22 PM)Bill Hosler Wrote:
(06-24-2020, 04:13 PM)chazt Wrote:

We use Dawn Platinum pods. I've never encountered any issues with fading on cups..etc.

I like them because other the occasional utensil that still may have some peanut butter residue or something like that the dishes come out sparkling clean.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Now, this is off topic and really sounds grandparenty,  but a little while back an issue developed with our dishwasher,  where the drain connects to the garbage disposal there's a blockage. Long story short with our twin boys grown and gone we don't have many dirty dishes so my wife and I wash by hand. It's a social time, we discuss many things and, much like a business meeting,  strategize about money and problems, talk about our day, etc. We both enjoy it and have no plans to fix it. Now if our boys were in their teens and still home, with their appetites it would be too big of a task.

8 2,801
 06-25-2020, 05:48 AM
User Info
For polished razors, I use Brasso with a cotton pad and then run it under tap with a mild liquid soap. This retains the shine and cleanses as well.

For Matt finish, other things mentioned in tgt thread work fine.

4 1,337
 06-25-2020, 06:03 AM
User Info
What's Brasso?

0 152
 06-25-2020, 06:35 AM
User Info
(06-25-2020, 06:03 AM)Alex7 Wrote: What's Brasso?

Brasso is a metal polish.

[Image: gwle7TB.jpg]

60 10,323
 06-25-2020, 06:50 AM
User Info
I use denture brush to clean,then water and dish washing soap in ultrasonic cleaner for 5 min. Then use barbicide to disinfect, last use ballistol to keep it nice

0 2
 06-25-2020, 12:02 PM
User Info
I think once a week I'll use a toothbrush, a pipe cleaning brush, dish detergent, toothpaste and finally I'll soak it in the vinegar and water solution. Would this be a good routine?

0 152
 06-25-2020, 01:03 PM
User Info
(06-25-2020, 12:02 PM)Alex7 Wrote: I think once a week I'll use a toothbrush, a pipe cleaning brush, dish detergent, toothpaste and finally I'll soak it in the vinegar and water solution. Would this be a good routine?

It's probably more that is necessary, but try it and decide for yourself.  Everyone has his own routine for taking care of his equipment.

60 10,323
 06-27-2020, 10:48 AM
User Info
I think once a week I'll soak the razor in a vinegar and water solution and then I'll scrub it with a toothbrush and liquid dish washing soap. Would this be a good routine?

0 152
 07-01-2020, 12:14 PM
User Info
(06-27-2020, 10:48 AM)Alex7 Wrote: I think once a week I'll soak the razor in a vinegar and water solution and then I'll scrub it with a toothbrush and liquid dish washing soap. Would this be a good routine?

If your water is as hard as mine that's a good idea. Maybe not weekly but often.

0 3
 07-04-2020, 10:12 AM
User Info
I've also been told to never use vinegar on a safety razor. What do you guys think?

0 152