06-24-2020, 06:03 AM
User Info
Any suggestions for badger brushes that have gel soft tips, medium/floppy backbone, aren't densely packed, and have big/wide splay? I sold off all my boutique badger brushes after I realized I was getting easier and more consistent lather from cheap synthetics, but I've found that daily use of synthetics makes them pokey on the face around the one year mark. Now I'm looking for a badger brush with features that seem to be against the typical characteristics people are looking for. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

26 186
 06-24-2020, 06:16 AM
User Info
The Vulfix (Simpson) 41 fits your criteria perfectly.  

http://www.simpsonshavingbrushes.com/sto...faux-ivory

60 10,490
 06-24-2020, 06:48 AM
User Info
(06-24-2020, 06:16 AM)TheLegalRazor Wrote: The Vulfix (Simpson) 41 fits your criteria perfectly.  

Thanks for the suggestion. The description gives me pause when it says "the knot is exceedingly dense". I've had issues with Simpson Chubby 2 and 3 Manchurians not splaying enough due to the density (and exceedingly long bulb blooming times that are difficult to get to open up), you believe this isn't an issue with this brush?

26 186
 06-24-2020, 07:41 AM
User Info
(06-24-2020, 06:48 AM)Maha0098 Wrote:
(06-24-2020, 06:16 AM)TheLegalRazor Wrote: The Vulfix (Simpson) 41 fits your criteria perfectly.  

Thanks for the suggestion. The description gives me pause when it says "the knot is exceedingly dense". I've had issues with Simpson Chubby 2 and 3 Manchurians not splaying enough due to the density (and exceedingly long bulb blooming times that are difficult to get to open up), you believe this isn't an issue with this brush?

The Vulfix 41 I previously owned did not have a dense knot, and was nowhere near the Chubby 2 in density.  The 41 is also set to a higher loft than the Chubby 2.  My 41 was very soft, with light backbone and a big splay.    

Vulfix and Simpson use the same Super hair.  My understanding has always been that the Vulfix are less dense that the Simpson.  You may want to send an email to Mark at Simpson for clarification.

60 10,490
 06-24-2020, 07:46 AM
  • DanLaw
  • Just an old slow fat man
  • Peachtree City, GA
User Info
My perspective is

Kent top of line silvertip badger probably in 4 or 8.  They absolutely a bargain due to being out of favour at moment, last forever and can fine tune the splay by using a soft ponytail band if too splaying (remove it between uses)

6 699
 06-24-2020, 08:42 AM
User Info
(06-24-2020, 07:46 AM)DanLaw Wrote: My perspective is

Kent top of line silvertip badger probably in 4 or 8.  They absolutely a bargain due to being out of favour at moment, last forever and can fine tune the splay by using a soft ponytail band if too splaying (remove it between uses)

Thanks for this suggestion. I think a BK8 could be exactly what I'm looking for after reading some reviews. Pillowy, semi-floppy, big splay, well-made, and reasonably priced. It's just over $100 shipped directly from Kent in the UK to the US. That certainly beats the $190 it costs if purchasing from a US seller. 

(06-24-2020, 07:41 AM)TheLegalRazor Wrote: The Vulfix 41 I previously owned did not have a dense knot, and was nowhere near the Chubby 2 in density.  The 41 is also set to a higher loft than the Chubby 2.  My 41 was very soft, with light backbone and a big splay.    

Vulfix and Simpson use the same Super hair.  My understanding has always been that the Vulfix are less dense that the Simpson.  You may want to send an email to Mark at Simpson for clarification.

Great info, thanks. Between the BK8 and the Vulfix 41, both seem to be similar in size, loft, and reviews of softness. $118 shipped from Simpson, so not much more in price either. I think the Kent may still be a bit floppier/softer than the Vulfix based on reviews, but I doubt I could go wrong either way.

26 186
 06-24-2020, 09:04 AM
  • chazt
  • Queens, NY
User Info
(06-24-2020, 06:03 AM)Maha0098 Wrote: Any suggestions for badger brushes that have gel soft tips, medium/floppy backbone, aren't densely packed, and have big/wide splay? I sold off all my boutique badger brushes after I realized I was getting easier and more consistent lather from cheap synthetics, but I've found that daily use of synthetics makes them pokey on the face around the one year mark. Now I'm looking for a badger brush with features that seem to be against the typical characteristics people are looking for. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Elite Razor, High Mountain White fan knots set to a 2:1 or higher ratio. Let Bob advise you. The tips don’t hook, but they are soft. Set to the correct loft, the relative density is a thing of beauty. Just right splay that’s responds like a sports car.

19 4,438
 06-24-2020, 11:56 AM
User Info
I have a 24mm elite HMW fan knot. At the time I also bought the motherlode knot from elite as well. I’d give that thing a try! I reach for it more often than the HMW. Crazy soft, dense enough to create that suction cup feel to the face. Haven’t had a synthetic for over a year yet so can’t say if it will get scritchy like you described but I’m pretty sure this knot is the softest synthetic knot out there.

1 39
 06-24-2020, 01:18 PM
User Info
A Bob Quinn/Elite Razor HMW brush would be an excellent choice.  His HMW hair is top quality, and comparable to that from any major brush maker.  To get the qualities you're looking for, it should be set to a loft of at least twice the knot diameter, perhaps even slightly higher.

60 10,490
 06-24-2020, 03:52 PM
User Info
My softest brushes are a M&F 2xl, a shavemac custom, and my two Saponificio Varesino brushes. All of these are pillow soft, splay well, and have great flow-through. The SV brushes in particular splay very large (specs are about 28x52)

[Image: x9tMJBf.jpg]

36 2,138
 06-24-2020, 03:54 PM
  • chazt
  • Queens, NY
User Info
(06-24-2020, 03:52 PM)mike_the_kraken Wrote: My softest brushes are a M&F 2xl, a shavemac custom, and my two Saponificio Varesino brushes. All of these are pillow soft, splay well, and have great flow-through. The SV brushes in particular splay very large 

[Image: x9tMJBf.jpg]

This brush has a beautifully shaped knot. Does the crown ferrule “get in the way,” Mike?

19 4,438
 06-24-2020, 04:00 PM
User Info
Initially I was really worried about the ferrule, but it doesn’t bother me at all. It doesn’t collect a ton of soap as I had expected, and because the handle is tall - my fingertips rarely touch it directly. The one case where I could see it as being problematic (possibly) is if you were bowl-lathering in ceramic and not being particularly careful. The handle shape is very ergonomic - I really love this brush.

36 2,138
 06-24-2020, 04:06 PM
  • chazt
  • Queens, NY
User Info
(06-24-2020, 04:00 PM)mike_the_kraken Wrote: Initially I was really worried about the ferrule, but it doesn’t bother me at all. It doesn’t collect a ton of soap as I had expected, and because the handle is tall - my fingertips rarely touch it directly. The one case where I could see it as being problematic (possibly) is if you were bowl-lathering in ceramic and not being particularly careful. The handle shape is very ergonomic - I really love this brush.

Thanks. It’s certainly one of the more distinctive looking brushes I’ve seen. You’re not the first person who’s had high praise for these knots. Perhaps I’ll seek one out down the road.

19 4,438
 06-24-2020, 05:07 PM
  • Gabe
  • Arizona
User Info

You beat me to it. A Vulfix was the first thing that came to mind. I had a 660S. It had very soft tips but was too floppy for my tastes. Very reasonable retail price.

109 2,202
 06-25-2020, 12:32 AM
User Info
Most of my recommendations are off the beaten path, but quite excellent ones in my opinion. 

Vie-long 16510, VP Leonhardy 700050 "Classic Spherical", Omega 6619 75th Anniversary brush (Yes, amazingly you can still buy it), or look at the Omega models with Finest Silvertip to see if one of them strikes your fancy. Looking at them again they still strike mine and might succumb to another Omega. I picked up an Omega 6234 recently for a cheap price, and have to say I was pleased with how soft it is. Omega lists it as Super, but I liken it to how Rooney called their grade as super too. and Omega has finer designations like finest Silvertip, which the 6619 is. I have yet to use the 6234, but cleaning it and a quick face lather shows it has those qualities you are seeking. The 6619 too. 

Make sure the Vie-Long 16510 has a listed loft of 55mm. I've seen some in the past that are shorter and it wouldn't be as wide in bloom. I had a 59mm loft for one, and through all the Vie-long's I've purchased the 3-band Silvertip has always shown itself to be extra special.

The last one, the VP Leonhardy 700050 "classic Spherical" model is one that you would want to consider well, but honestly in terms of a lush and pampering brush, there's nothing out there that tops it. It outdoes the Kent BK12/BLK12 and those were/are quite impressive in their own right. The bloom/splay on that is monstrous, and even with a smaller knot than the 12 model for Kent it looks more like a middle brother next to that behemoth. Make sure it is the Classic Spherical model as that is the one with a much longer loft. I have the more reasonably lofted pointed model too, and it is quite nice, but it just doesn't have that crazy luxurious soft feeling as the longer lofted one. If you could find a 700040 model in 3-band Silvertip that would probably be the best choice, but if you don't mind a large puffy brush, I honestly don't think you'll be disappointed in that.

The only hesitation I have on one of the recommendations is the Vulfix 41 Super. I've had some Vulfix Supers in the past and found the hair to not be quite so good. I think I had the 2233-2235 models. The hair was a bit too prickly for me, and was seriously lacking in density. I happen to have the Vulfix 41 but in Silvertip along with a 377 in the same grade, and I like those very much, but the hair isn't as naturally soft as any of the previous ones I recommended from what I have and have tried. Both have good density, more than the Super models I have tried, but not so dense as to hinder lather creation, and a good splay to them. TheLegalRazor's explanation of the Super Hair being the same between Vulfix and Simpson being the same I have heard is the same as well, but it didn't pan out in my experience. I consider Vulfix Silvertip to be much closer to Simpson's Super hair. Still, from TheLegalRazor's experiences I would still consider it despite my personal experiences. My Silvertip isn't as dense as a Chubby 2 or 3 for that matter, but still a respectable density. It would be interesting to compare those two together to see the difference.

Edit: Forgot to include a wild card: Somerset Simpsons. PJ3/CH2/CH3, some other larger brushes could be an excellent choice if the price is right and one pops up and it looks to be in good visual condition. I have some Somersets that exhibit a much better latherability than current day counterparts.

33 1,003
 06-25-2020, 02:58 AM
  • chazt
  • Queens, NY
User Info
Iirc, Jarrod at Superior Shave dot com has reported that Vulfix’ Super = Simpson’s Best.

19 4,438
 06-25-2020, 03:42 AM
User Info
(06-25-2020, 02:58 AM)chazt Wrote: Iirc, Jarrod at Superior Shave dot com has reported that Vulfix’ Super = Simpson’s Best.

With what I have tried in the past I wouldn't put it even there unfortunately. I have numerous Simpson Best brushes, and none were ever as prickly as the Vulfix Supers I had were. It's the one time I would agree with calling a brush a mop. The 2235 was especially bad in that area. All of them lathered like a champ though, and a good lesson in how less density with a higher loft really promotes lathering ability. I never tested it, but I swore I could get lather from a rock if I tried.

33 1,003
 06-25-2020, 05:11 AM
  • Rufus
  • Greater Toronto Area
User Info
An AP Shave Co. Gelousy with a fan knot.  It has gel tips, as the name implies, but could be too dense.  As mantioned, the Kent BK 4; it’s soft with lots of splay.  VP Leonhardy makes a brush with similar face-feel to the Kent.

9 1,165
 06-25-2020, 05:48 PM
User Info
Thank you everyone for your suggestions. This was very helpful and informative for me. I ended up ordering a Kent BK8. If that goes well, I plan on working with Bob at Elite to come up with a similar knot loft and size in HMW to add a second badger back into my rotation. One brush from each side of the pond!

26 186