07-01-2020, 05:50 PM
  • ChiefBroom
  • Chief of Dark Holler
  • Fort Collins, Colorado, USA
User Info

Coming soon!

[Image: P6232387.jpg]

Four Paladin Beehive II Prototypes were selected from among sixteen to face off with our rendition of the Rooney Heritage Large Beehive and the original Paladin Beehive design.

[Image: IMG_5226.jpg]

Prototypes 1, 2, 8, and 16:

[Image: Battle_of_the_Beehives_1_4_8K.gif]
[Image: P6192383ws1240.jpg]
[Image: Rooney_by_McInroy.jpg]
[Image: Paladin_Beehive_I.jpg]
[Image: Paladin_Beehive_II_P1.jpg]
[Image: Paladin_Beehive_II_P2.jpg]
[Image: Paladin_Beehive_II_P8.jpg]
[Image: Paladin_Beehive_II_P2.jpg]

Stay tuned for details to be posted here after the Fourth of July Weekend.

3 1,702
 07-01-2020, 06:00 PM
  • Agravic
  • Emeritus
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
Excellent!

I’m grappling to decide which one(s) I like best..

118 19,473
 07-02-2020, 12:34 AM
User Info
(07-01-2020, 06:00 PM)Agravic Wrote: Excellent!

I was leaning toward the P16, but now I'm thinking P8

1 34
 07-02-2020, 03:06 AM
User Info
(07-02-2020, 12:34 AM)TLV Wetshaver Wrote:
(07-01-2020, 06:00 PM)Agravic Wrote: Excellent!

I was leaning toward the P16, but now I'm thinking P8

With my SBAD enabled, I ask why not both?

64 1,875
 07-02-2020, 04:59 AM
  • Agravic
  • Emeritus
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
I've been staring at the changing pic repeatedly this morning .. P1,P2,P8,P16 .. mesmerizing.

118 19,473
 07-02-2020, 05:01 AM
User Info
(07-02-2020, 04:59 AM)Agravic Wrote: I've been staring at the changing pic repeatedly this morning .. P1,P2,P8,P16 .. mesmerizing.

Second!

18 874
 07-02-2020, 05:40 AM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
Very nice Ken! This really scratches my itch.

53 21,563
 07-02-2020, 11:39 AM
User Info
Brush art

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

0 435
 07-03-2020, 07:13 AM
User Info
Oh boy..!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

5 246
 07-10-2020, 03:29 PM
User Info
Looking forward to the additional details. Beehive brushes have a great ergonomics. Really like the way they fit in my hand.

34 1,760
 07-11-2020, 05:37 AM
  • ChiefBroom
  • Chief of Dark Holler
User Info
It's taken longer than we'd planned to line ourselves out for the Battle of the Beehives, but we're getting close.

If anyone here wants to acquire a full set (i.e., one each of Hives 1-6), please let me know. We've already had two requests.  Four sets have been spoken for. We had set that as the limit until at least 24 hours after posting the offering on our website.

Beehives with polyester handles will be $225 and ones with acrylic handles will be $235. We'll offer 18 different materials. Vesuvius, Phantasia, Moon Java, Disco, Purple Haze, Shagadelic, Eye of the Tiger, Malachite, Lapis Lazuli, Briar, Strawberry Amber, and Bazooka will NOT be included.

3 1,702
 07-11-2020, 11:34 AM
  • ChiefBroom
  • Chief of Dark Holler
User Info
It looks like we're going to put up the Battle of the Beehives page with instructions sometime tomorrow. It will be under Special Events. Please don't post or send requests until the instructions go up, and then take the time to read them carefully. 

I meant to post more by way of background before now, but what I wrote got to be too long. The story goes back to November 2013 when I sent Lee Sabini with two questions, one about a butterscotch Rooney Beehive (a photo was attached) and the other about a lathe I'd found in Holmen, Wisconsin (that I ended up buying).

Below is an excerpt from the page (in italics):

This past March we undertook a project to design and prototype a second generation Paladin Beehive handle incorporating and integrating element of both 1)  the iconic Rooney Heritage Beehive handle produced for Lee Sabini by Frank and Lynn McInroy, who made available to us their detailed CAD drawings, and 2) our original Paladin Beehive design first introduced in early 2017. That project ended up stretching out to 16 prototypes. The three of us were not able to agree on a consensus favorite from among the 16, and in fact at least two of us haven’t settled on a favorite individually yet. So, someone came up with the idea to let the four finalists in our own failed selection process battle it out alongside our rendition of the McInroy version and the original Paladin design. 

Material options will include: 

@ $225

Butterscotch
Cobalt
Ivory
Jade
Lavender
Lemon Drop
Robin’s Egg
Somerset
Tortoise
Turquoise

@ $235

Graphite
Harlequin
Honey Noire
Krakatoa
Neptune
Vintage Port

All knots will be 2CLNE7s sized for 26 mm sockets. I'd say the *E7s are a lot like *L6s. More gel than the *A7s I've tried.  But, as always, YMMV. There will be a choice between semi-bulbs and fans, but with a very limited number of fans available.

Some more excerpts (still subject to revision):

This offering includes brushes representing six Beehive handle designs: Hive 1) our rendition of what we consider the authentic (i.e., produced by Frank and Lynn McInroy) Rooney Heritage version; Hive 2) the original Paladin Shaving Beehive design; Hive 3) Paladin Shaving Beehive II Prototype 1; Hive 4) Paladin Shaving Beehive II Prototype 2; Hive 5) Paladin Shaving Beehive II Prototype 8; and Hive 6) Paladin Shaving Beehive II Prototype 16. 

This offering isn’t quite like any we’ve done before. There are 96 potential style/material combinations, but limited availability of both semi-bulb and fan knots. We can’t confidently forecast either how many requests we’ll receive for these brushes overall or how many there might (or might not be) for any particular variant (style/material/knot combination). So, making the brushes, or even just turning the handles, in advance of bona fide commitments to purchase them is not something we can do. These will essentially be made-to-order, custom brushes, and we don’t have a reasonable alternative to requiring a substantial, non-refundable payment in advance. We’ve settled on $80 per brush for this offering. The balance will be invoiced when a brush is ready to ship, which we anticipate could take 4-6 weeks.

Given that these brushes will be made-to-order, cancellation of an order will be result in forfeiture of the deposit, and we will not accept returns for any reason other than a significant defect in material or workmanship.

We do not believe it would work well to conduct this offering on a first-come-first-served basis. It is very important that each and every participant 1) carefully read and clearly understand everything set out here and 2) make a firm decision with regard to an order request before submitting it. Breakdowns in administrative efficiency will likely affect production. Please help us make this run smoothly.

We will leave the window open for submission of requests until we decide it's time to close it and post notice to that effect on this page. The selection process will depend to some extent on the number and timing of requests. If requests exceed the number of brushes we can make using 2CNLE7 knots, or the number of brushes we decide to make (likely to be no more than 80 - possibly fewer - and certainly no more than 100), we may use random selection in the process; however, we will also pay consideration to factors such as customer loyalty and past support. New customers are critical to our ongoing success, and we generally strive to maintain a level playing field, but we believe limited offerings such as this invite some exceptions to the general rule.

We will give priority to requests to purchase a full set of brushes representing all six Hives in any combination of materials, limited, however, to four sets in total, two of which have already been committed. We may lift that limit depending on the tally of requests we have after the offering has been open for at least 24 hours.

Other than requests for full sets as described above, there will be a one-brush-per-person limit until after the offering has been open for at least 24 hours.

We know this process might not work out well for everyone, and we have no doubt that with the benefit of hindsight we’ll wish we had done some things differently. The fact, however, is that no process would work well for everyone. We hope anyone who ends up frustrated or disappointed will give us the benefit of the doubt with regard to our good faith, best intentions, and commitment to straightforward transparency (which accounts for the length of this description of the offering).

3 1,702
 07-11-2020, 12:17 PM
  • ChiefBroom
  • Chief of Dark Holler
User Info
Any questions?

3 1,702
 07-11-2020, 01:04 PM
  • garyg
  • Great Lakes
User Info
(07-11-2020, 12:17 PM)ChiefBroom Wrote: Any questions?

Ken do you have a tentative launch time, for us no-twit, non-Facebook troglodytes?

68 694
 07-11-2020, 01:08 PM
  • ChiefBroom
  • Chief of Dark Holler
User Info
(07-11-2020, 01:04 PM)garyg Wrote:
(07-11-2020, 12:17 PM)ChiefBroom Wrote: Any questions?

Ken do you have a tentative launch time, for us no-twit, non-Facebook troglodytes?

Good question. We haven't settled one yet, but plan to do that later today. I'll post the time here at least a couple hours in advance of when we make the page visible on the website. My present inclination is sometime in the early afternoon Mountain Time. How does that sound?

3 1,702
 07-11-2020, 03:27 PM
  • garyg
  • Great Lakes
User Info
Thank you sir!

68 694
 07-11-2020, 03:56 PM
User Info
This is an amazing offering!  Well done, Paladin!

60 10,405
 07-11-2020, 04:00 PM
  • ChiefBroom
  • Chief of Dark Holler
User Info
(07-11-2020, 03:27 PM)garyg Wrote: Thank you sir!

(07-11-2020, 03:56 PM)TheLegalRazor Wrote: This is an amazing offering!  Well done, Paladin!

Thank you, Gary (we go way back, don'e we!?), and thank you Ricardo!

3 1,702
 07-11-2020, 04:09 PM
  • Agravic
  • Emeritus
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
These are going to be fabulous.

118 19,473
 07-11-2020, 06:07 PM
  • ChiefBroom
  • Chief of Dark Holler
User Info
(07-11-2020, 04:09 PM)Agravic Wrote: These are going to be fabulous.

But remember how this kind of thing used to be a party?

3 1,702